Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Get a 16". 14.5's are to much headache
    I was leaning towards the 16." Any thoughts on the light weight barrels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    This gun eventually made it to 20k rounds and was still firing ~1.5" at 100 yards.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...knights-ar-15/

Same barrel, same bolt, same everything. Besides just general wear and tear, it also wasn't cleaned.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

See when I see this barrel which is a known product from a known entity that is $230
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...d-16%20std.htm

And then I see this barrel that appears to be representing an equal product for $70 less
    https://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?p...odern-series-2

The LAST thing I think is "ooooh, that must be a good value". What I think is, "I wonder what corners they are cutting to save that $70".
    Yeah, I have to say I tend to think the same thing. The reason I skipped the Sionics barrel I was looking at in favor of the VooDoo Innovations barrel I bought.

This area is ground zero for Huldra, which uses the VooDoo melonite barrels. I know and shoot with the company principles. I've seen them shot a lot, and over many thousands of rounds, enough to think that melonite barrel was worth a try in putting together the rifle I just built. I also have a Noveske "double chrome-lined" with over 10,000 rounds, and a couple of BCM CHF 11.5 barrels I've been shooting for a few years. No complaints with any of them. They're all acceptably accurate and so far holding up fine, as near as I can tell.
    Last edited by Hmac; 26 January 2015 at 13:57.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yet, another thread about barrels. Thank you...

Knights barrel is plenty accurate.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    I was leaning towards the 16." Any thoughts on the light weight barrels?

All of mine are LW but one. I would suggest an BCM ELW 16" if you decide on going the lightweight route

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This gun eventually made it to 20k rounds and was still firing ~1.5" at 100 yards.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...knights-ar-15/

Same barrel, same bolt, same everything. Besides just general wear and tear, it also wasn't cleaned.

Good read. Thank you for posting. Didn't know a bolt had made it that many rounds
    Last edited by DutyUse; 26 January 2015 at 15:00.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    All of mine are LW but one. I would suggest an BCM ELW 16" if you decide on going the lightweight route

Edit:

Good read. Thank you for posting. Didn't know a bolt had made it that many rounds
    If I go light weight, the ELW is probably the one I will go with. Thanks

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    When asked about my barrel choices and weights/profiles, these three well respected instructors basically are saying, "It doesn't matter..." They have all been guests on a tv show I work on.

Rob Pincus
    ...other people there probably care much more than I do about those types of details. I think an ounce or two is almost irrelevant.
    If price were equal amongst those choices, I would go with the DD Barrel based on quality.

Steve Vandermolen ( local instructor )
    Any of them will work well. It is a matter of budget in the end.

Wes Doss
    Marty, not really, I don't use any of my AR's for that level of accuracy that cant be done with a factory barrel. I do like better triggers, most of mine have Gisselle triggers

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Realistically, how many rounds are you going to put down range per year?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very good question. Thank you for asking. Given my current financial situation, kids, job and side businesses, not many. As I said earlier, the only reason I am even able to get this rifle is because I won most of the expensive parts. So I probably will be doing well, at least for the next few years, to shoot 500 rounds a year. Maybe... So maybe it really doesn't matter... If money wasn't an issue, I would lean towards a Centurion. Not because I need it. Just the quality. I do like most of the barrels suggested. Admittedly, I tend to overthink these things. I'm trying not to... :-)

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    So it sounds like you're trying to balance the idea of holding to the perceived quality of the parts you won with the financial realities of family life.

personally, I'd buy a BCM lightweight barrel (either standard, ELW-F, or BFH, as budget/tastes allow) and move on with the caveat that if you're just going to be posting up at a bench, shooting through some sort of magnified optic, then I'd look at the 16" WOA stainless barrel from ADCO.
    https://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdet...torynumber=182
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=rob_s;89521]UW has it right.

Whale jizz coating that *might* be better, or known-entity chrome lining?

By "Whale jizz" do you mean Nitrocarberizing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of all the different barrels I own Daniel Defense always seem to be the barrel on guns that become my favorites. I do not put nearly the amount of rounds through mine like some of you men do but the lack of noticeable wear and consistent accuracy indicates they are real durable barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    Very good question. Thank you for asking. Given my current financial situation, kids, job and side businesses, not many. As I said earlier, the only reason I am even able to get this rifle is because I won most of the expensive parts. So I probably will be doing well, at least for the next few years, to shoot 500 rounds a year. Maybe... So maybe it really doesn't matter... If money wasn't an issue, I would lean towards a Centurion. Not because I need it. Just the quality. I do like most of the barrels suggested. Admittedly, I tend to overthink these things. I'm trying not to... :-)

I will always err on the side of caution, meaning that wouldn't you rather have a barrel that is over qualified based on a perceived firing schedule than to have an increased firing schedule in the future and have a barrel that is now under qualified? IMO I wont build or buy a rifle that I wouldn't take into combat. Granted, all I do is run and gun and train under a heavy firing schedule. Even so, if I only had one rifle it would be rock solid, have the capabilities to be run hard, put up wet and take whatever abuse I could possibly encounter. You know which barrel you want, save up your pennies and wait to get it. Don't compromise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sinner - Daniel Defense and Bravo Company are definitely on the shortlist.

Last edited by Txfilmmaker; 30 January 2015 at 08:18.
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I will always err on the side of caution, meaning that wouldn't you rather have a barrel that is over qualified based on a perceived firing schedule than to have an increased firing schedule in the future and have a barrel that is now under qualified? IMO I wont build or buy a rifle that I wouldn't take into combat. Granted, all I do is run and gun and train under a heavy firing schedule. Even so, if I only had one rifle it would be rock solid, have the capabilities to be run hard, put up wet and take whatever abuse I could possibly encounter. You know which barrel you want, save up your pennies and wait to get it. Don't compromise.
    Thanks - It seems like, Centurion, Daniel Defense and BCM would all qualify.

Facebook - Marty Callan