Downloads
    Uploads

Aero Precision Cerakote Question

I'm in the middle of a pistol build using Aero Cerakoted receivers. I had a local dealer order the lower some time ago and have gotten it fully assembled. I ordered an upper direct and it arrived yesterday. The shine and shade are markedly different between the two. The upper is lighter in shade (both Olive Drab) and has no shine whatsoever. The lower is darker with a satin-like shine to it. I contacted Aero and my impression is that they're being kind of fussy about the whole thing. They said I could return it for exchange but would be subject to a 10% exchange fee. Really? The reason I'd like to exchange the upper is that their own cerakoting isn't even close in the same color. Plus, if they deem the upper to have been "used" (has only been put on the lower to check fit) it would be shipped back to me at my expense. I'd rather not pay to have it shipped 3 times and possibly pay an exchange fee. (Edit: both receivers were purchased stripped)

All of this leads me to my question:

Is there anything that I can do to slightly darken and shine the cerakoted upper? It doesn't have to be perfect, just closer than it is now.
    Last edited by hg8057; 23 January 2015 at 11:40. Reason: Additional Info

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pictures?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oops. Forgot about that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's impossible to match cerakote exactly. If try person added a couple extra drops of hardener then it can throw the whole shade of( satin Vs matte). Also every lot of cerakote is a bit different in color. The same rule apples to cerakote that applies to paint from lowes/home depot no two are exactly the same.

I will say that yes there is a marked difference and you'd think they'd be willing to work things out with you. You could try some froglube or something to this effect to see if it does any good. You may also be better off getting someone to just recerakote it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    100% correct. There is no way to coat 2 parts from different mixes and have the finish exactly the same. Recoat or live with it are the options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's why I will only cerakote something if I'm going all the parts at the same time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dang. Now you got me worried about my two sets that are still M.I.A

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    It's impossible to match cerakote exactly. If try person added a couple extra drops of hardener then it can throw the whole shade of( satin Vs matte). Also every lot of cerakote is a bit different in color. The same rule apples to cerakote that applies to paint from lowes/home depot no two are exactly the same.

I will say that yes there is a marked difference and you'd think they'd be willing to work things out with you. You could try some froglube or something to this effect to see if it does any good. You may also be better off getting someone to just recerakote it.
    Right on. If they had been done at the same time, with the same batch, they would match. When I did one of my beater ARs in KG Gunkote, I had everything ready and sprayed it all at once. The finish on all the parts was even and matched. I would chalk the OP's issues up to buying two parts done at completely different times and with different batches of product. If it's gonna be a do-over, do both parts together, (at the same time).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the guys already answered this one.

Too much variance in cerakoting batch to batch to match perfectly. The only way to go is if you're able to get the sets cerakoted at the same time. I have a couple of cerakoted sets from Aero, and they don't all match perfectly. One or two are pretty close, but unless you baby your guns, you probably won't notice after a few range sessions and cleanings.

I think I'd only be upset about this situation if Aero specifically claimed these were matching sets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd always figured Cerakote was pretty homogenous stuff. OD was OD was OD. Guess not. The Aero rep said pretty much the same thing as all of you did. It's recipe based and will vary from batch to batch. I've decided to just live with it. I wiped it down liberally with CLP and then dry rag wiped it. Darkened and shined up a bit. I know I'll have to do that again from time to time. Either that or I'll just get used to the difference. For future reference, I've got two questions:

If I had decided to have it re-Cerakoted, will the layer down already have to come off or would another layer just be applied over it?

If I can't buy a matched set from Aero, when individually buying receivers, should I buy them anodized or bare aluminum if I plan to have a local shop Cerakote them?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cerakoting has a lot of variables. Sometimes when you order the same Cerakote numbers the colors will be way off, the worst number I've seen for consistency is their Titanium Blue. The tempature of the item that the Cerakote is applied to will affect the amount of gloss. The amount of hardner mixed in by the Cerakoter can affect color also. The only way to get an exact match is to have all parts coated at the same time.

To answer your first question. If you have it re-Cerakoted it will need to be media blasted. Once Cerakote has been completely cured additional layers will not adhere as well.

Second question, it doesn't matter if you buy them anodized or in the white. Cerakote needs a rough texture to adhere to. All items should be media blasted before Cerakoting.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa