Downloads
    Uploads

Tactical Solutions SB-X Barrel for the Ruger 10-22 Takedown

Ruger, in their infinite wisdom introduced a threaded barrel version of the 10-22 Takedown a few months after I purchased one. I really wanted to use my suppressor on the Takedown, but did not want to “sell one to buy one”, so I just toughed it out.

Then I saw an ad for a TacSol SB-X replacement barrel for the Takedown. I have a TacSol barrel for my Ruger 22-45 and it shoots like a match pistol. So, I thought I would try their SB-X.

From their website:

“The SB-X barrel is compact and lightweight; the perfect replacement for the heavy factory barrel. The bore length of the SB-X barrel is 12.375” and with the permanently affixed shroud, the overall length increases to a legal 16.625” barrel, thus giving the shooter all the benefits of an SBR* with NO paperwork. The barrel is threaded and the shroud is hollow so any 1” or smaller diameter suppressor (threaded ˝”x 28) is the perfect addition and will maintain a compact overall length. Add the SB-X to your factory Ruger® 10/22 Takedown® and make your rifle the perfect packing/prepping companion.
    *Short Barreled Rifle
    Barrel and Inert Display Suppressor only. Does not include the stock or locking mechanism.

Specs:
    • Weight: 12oz
    • Overall Length 16.625"
    • Bore Length 12.375"
    • Inside Diameter: 1.1"
    • Twist: 1-16"
    • Threading: 1/2"x28
    • Barrel: 6061-T6 aluminum
    • Barrel Shank: Stainless Steel
    • Colors: Matte Black and Silver with a Matte Black Shroud
    • Includes an inert display suppressor”
    Colors available are matte black, and Silver with a matte black shroud. MSRP is $295. I purchased from Midway USA - $248.99 / $258 with shipping and NRA Roundup.
    The package arrived with the barrel, Inert Display Suppressor, and instructions.

The instructions were precise and easy to follow. Except for taking pictures between steps, replacing the factory barrel was a five minute job.

First, take the factory stock and forend apart, lay the stock aside for now.

To disassemble the factory forend, remove the barrel band.

Now, there is a captive screw holding the forend to the barrel, loosen it until the barrel can be removed from the forend.

This exposes the locking block that is attached with two 9/64” socket-head bolts. Before you can get to those bolts, you need to remove the locking plunger assembly. Press the plunger in flush with the locking block and pull the takedown lever out – the plunger is spring loaded – keep a finger on it and ease it out.

Now you have access to the two bolts. Use a 9/64” allen wrench and remove the locking block. Ruger does not use any type of loc-tite on these, and they come out easily. The included instructions state the torque for replacing them.

The factory barrel is now ready for storage. Assembling the SB-X is done by the same steps in reverse. First, attach the locking block.

Drop the spring into the locking block, insert the plunger, press it flush with the locking block and snap the takedown lever back into place.

Place the barrel in the forend and tighten the captive screw to spec.

Put the barrel band back on, and the assembly is complete.

I have an AAC Prodigy 22LR Suppressor. Factory spec on the barrel/shroud shows an internal depth of 4.25 inches. I miked it 4.271 to the muzzle, and 4.646 to the unthreaded barrel end. The Prodigy is 5.79 inches, which means it extends 1.144 inches past the end of the shroud. Basically, the assembled barrel, with suppressor installed, is now 17.5 inches.

A new Ruger 10-22 with a factory threaded 16” barrel can be had for around $310 street price, plus tax and transfer fees. So why pay almost that much for the Tactical Solutions SB-X?

Put that 5.79 inch Prodigy on the 16.1” factory barrel and it becomes 21.89 – almost 22 inches long, with commensurate weight. The SB-X provides SBR length and weight without the NFA paperwork and stamp fee. It was worth it to me – YMMV.

On the Ruger 22-45, the Prodigy does not move POI when attached. I hope to have the same results on the SB-X. When I have some rounds down range, I will update the review.

The fit and finish quality is exactly what you would expect from a top level manufacturer. This is obviously not for everyone, but filled a niche that I wanted. I would recommend that when your suppressor is not attached to the SB-X you install their inert suppressor to protect the barrel threads.

The fully assembled 10-22 with SB-X and EoTech XPS2-RF – their rimfire version HWS.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice Jerry, I've got 1 10/22 and have always been meaning to look at some options, but i think she shoots pretty well in the stock version.

Looking forward to the update once you have some trigger time with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Sir. They also make that same barrel for the "standard" 10-22 rifles, and it is even easier to swap. More of a " put it on when you want it, take it off when you don't" arrangement.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice Jerry.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa