Downloads
    Uploads

.223 and 5.56 difference?

what is the difference between .223 remington and 5.56 nato? powder charge? bullet length? diameter?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The difference is powder charge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SS,

There are some good sites that have quality info on this, and they include the dimensional differences between the two calibers. The easiest way to look at it is that the .223 chamber is a little tighter than the 5.56 chamber. You can shoot both types of ammo through a 5.56 weapon, but a .223 weapon can choke with some 5.56 ammo.

I've seen rounds jam, and I do mean jam (not a malfunction) when shooters have stuffed 5.56 ammo into a .223 chamber.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    SS,

There are some good sites that have quality info on this, and they include the dimensional differences between the two calibers. The easiest way to look at it is that the .223 chamber is a little tighter than the 5.56 chamber. You can shoot both types of ammo through a 5.56 weapon, but a .223 weapon can choke with some 5.56 ammo.

I've seen rounds jam, and I do mean jam (not a malfunction) when shooters have stuffed 5.56 ammo into a .223 chamber.

I've had 5.56, well within spec and chambering just fine in AR's, that wouldn't even allow bolts to close on .223 700 LTR's...

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    simple yes or no here and thanks for the previous info and all info to follow.

.223 will shoot through my 5.56 chambered AR-15 with no problems whatsoever? other than normal malfunctons seen with all ammo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, it will.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for bringing this question up and the responses, all. I was wondering this myself.

-R.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How does the 5.56 Noveske Mod 0 Chamber and the Wylde chamber compare to a 5.56 NATO chamber? I know that they are supposed to be somewhere inbetween 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a interesting one from AR15.com..
    It lists out some common question on the left side.. Never knew about it until I was trying to find the link to the Oracle..

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/

Any case here's the one that I thought was a interesting read a while back.

http://razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-orac...cle_Mirror.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very interesting. Its kind of funny some of the simple questions that some of us are too scared to ask for fear of looking stupid. I was just wondering the same thing about .223 ammo. Thanks to OP for asking!
    Adversity introduces us to ourselves

Facebook: Loess Hills Tactical

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well lots of forums already have answered the novice questions.. they typically have it in the FAQs or in past posts. Some of the impatient people get snappy and say read the FAQs or give a one sentence answer.. others are cool and give answers.

Typically you can google all the answers. That's how I originally found the Ammo Oracle which really explained a few things from Wylde chamber to bullet types for the 5.56/223. If I can't find it then I ask.

All in all, no question is stupid. You got to learn to make yourself better. Just don't be lazy and ask and not look.