Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    Barnes Tac-Tx
    You had me really excited there
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess you could pull some AP's and load them but I am doubting they would fully expand firing from a 300BLK.

Downloads
    Uploads

77gr Sierra TMKs over RE15

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good..still have yet to try any of those

Shoot any better then the are smk 77's? As far as cost their also more..

Thanks, I'm still working on a box of Nosler 77's as they have worked great so far

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Shoot any better then the are smk 77's? As far as cost their also more..
    I buy my SMK from an old guy who has been reloading and shooting for a long time. He is a long time Sierra dealer for a few decades already.

Long story short the guy who seems very much in the know said that within a certain distance you would only see some minor differences, but the farther you go out the tipped matchkings will work better because of a better BC and a improved design. I think he said out past 4 or 500 yards you start to see improvements over the regular SMK.

From the Sierra website description of their .308 168gr...

"The 168 grain Tipped MatchKing (TMK) bullet is an excellent choice for F-Class (F Open) matches, as well as 3-Gun and various other competitions. Due to the ballistic advantage that the tip provides, the 168 Tipped MatchKing (TMK) will stay supersonic at 1,000 yards at normal .308 Winchester velocities, unlike its untipped counterpart."

I think the thinking was the same across the entire tipped line to try and produce those results...aka improve the already really good.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 31 January 2016 at 06:27.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't shoot out past 300 yards you probably won't notice much difference. I don't buy them unless they're on sale...the 600 I got cost me less than 77 SMKs actually. I still have a bunch of 75gr Hornady and 69gr SMK to shoot also, but I primarily shoot them in my "Recce" build because it shoots those midweight Sierras really well. I use the 75s/77s in my 18" rifle

In 308, I haven't gotten any of the TMKs; I've been shooting ballistic tip Noslers (same weight) for a while and have a stash of those I'm working through and I don't shoot my 308 as much as my 5.56 rifles

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the reloading peeps, is there any value in trying to sell 7.62 brass? Especially given how the Priority mail rates have gone up. The catch here is that it's almost all crimped (mostly FC or LC stamped with a smattering of PPU).

Within a year, I have yet another PCS move coming up (or a retirement move over a year from now) and I just don't really want to move yet more brass. I've just been sitting on a bunch of once-fired brass in case I ever got into reloading, but I don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon. I'm not trying to shill in your guys' thread, but trying to figure out if it's worth listing online, only trying to sell locally, or just give up and donate it (which I'd prefer not to do and at least get a little bit of a return on what I've shot).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    For the reloading peeps, is there any value in trying to sell 7.62 brass? Especially given how the Priority mail rates have gone up. The catch here is that it's almost all crimped (mostly FC or LC stamped with a smattering of PPU).

Within a year, I have yet another PCS move coming up (or a retirement move over a year from now) and I just don't really want to move yet more brass. I've just been sitting on a bunch of once-fired brass in case I ever got into reloading, but I don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon. I'm not trying to shill in your guys' thread, but trying to figure out if it's worth listing online, only trying to sell locally, or just give up and donate it (which I'd prefer not to do and at least get a little bit of a return on what I've shot).
    7.62 x what?

51?

How much of it do you have? You can estimate if you want.

You're looking at anywhere between 15-20 bucks per 100 cases if it's good stuff and especially if you can match the headstamps...it all depends on what you have.

Plain old military 7.62x51 cases in bulk are about $75 bucks per 500 cases...You will get more for the LC than the FC but it's not a crazy difference. If you have a tool or a machine to ream the primer pockets out, remove the crimps, and trim the cases you will get more money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, 7.62x51. The FC stuff is mostly FC12. There's also a bunch of LC<something> (I'd have to go look, but I think it's two different batches of matching stamps.). If I had to guess, I probably have around 1K of cases, though most of it is actually counted in the various bags.

I had looked at getting the gear to pop the primers and ream it, but it seemed like it would quickly cost more to do that than just sell them with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    going price on Arfcom EE is about $120 per 1k, plus shipping, for unprocessed NATO brass still with the crimp in place.

I got me one of these just for the NATO brass- works like a charm. And with a simple string/rubber band mod it is pretty quick
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gator, people will buy Federal/Federal GMM and LC brass all day long. Next time I stock up, I'll see how much Federal you have. Wish I would've asked on here first, because I just bought $50 worth about six weeks ago locally, and culled about a third of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to try some "Fully Prepped" brass for the 308. Did a little searching and came up with a half dozen companies that provide it. Picked Roberts & Son Brass Seemed like a fair price - just under $0.34 per case with free shipping. But they guarantee "military, once fired, no range pickup brass" and provided a detailed description of how they prep the brass, and I liked what I read. They also provide unprepped brass at a very competitive rate. Brass arrived four days later and looked good. I miked several cases and they all ran exactly 2.005 as advertised. They said the brass would be a mix of LC and WCC - with a few extras tossed in to be sure the count was good. Came with 252 LC and 254 WCC - a pretty fair mix. I have "stuff" to do all the case prep, except annealing (which Roberts does) but it's a pain to do bulk runs of cases. I guess I'm getting a little lazy in my old age. Anyway, I'm pleased with the purchase. Came in a nice wooden box that I will find a use for.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    I wanted to try some "Fully Prepped" brass for the 308. Did a little searching and came up with a half dozen companies that provide it. Picked Roberts & Son Brass Seemed like a fair price - just under $0.34 per case with free shipping. But they guarantee "military, once fired, no range pickup brass" and provided a detailed description of how they prep the brass, and I liked what I read. They also provide unprepped brass at a very competitive rate. Brass arrived four days later and looked good. I miked several cases and they all ran exactly 2.005 as advertised. They said the brass would be a mix of LC and WCC - with a few extras tossed in to be sure the count was good. Came with 252 LC and 254 WCC - a pretty fair mix. I have "stuff" to do all the case prep, except annealing (which Roberts does) but it's a pain to do bulk runs of cases. I guess I'm getting a little lazy in my old age. Anyway, I'm pleased with the purchase. Came in a nice wooden box that I will find a use for.
    Nice find Jerry. Convenience factor is appealing. Might have to pick up a box to load as backups/plinking rounds.