Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello! Newbie questions.

Hello everyone. I am new here. I am an avid outdoorsman, hunting, shooting and so on. I have recently decided to build an AR-15. I have never owned one before. I have done a great deal of research recently. I have a few opinion questions with my build. I bought a lower and lower assembly kit last week. I went today and picked up a stripped upper. I want to do the entire build so it's exactly like I want instead of paying for things I will take off. I got home this evening and noticed that my new upper doesn't really have the same finish as my lower. Seems to be a little more dull. Is that normal? Idk how much I'm worried about it right now but if I can get one that will match I might change it. On the the next thing I've been considering. I have done a lot of research on barrels. I will mostly be target shooting and coyote hunting with this gun. Most shots will be 200 yards or less. The barrel I think I've decided on is an 18" 1 in 7 twist 416R Stainless steel with melonite. Might be a little over kill for what I want but would like some experienced opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to being a part of this community.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First of all welcome.

Generally, receivers from the same company will match pretty close. If you get and upper and lower from separate companies, their finishes will not usually match. Which companies did you go with? This is not a big deal, unless you are a little OCD (we all are) and want them to match perfectly. This doesn't affect the function of your gun.

A stainless barrel will easily do what you want it to do at 200 yards or less. In fact, I'd probably go 16" with a 1/8 twist. At 200 yards, you won't miss the extra velocity with a 16 vs 18. I'm sure some of our regular hunters will chime in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello! Newbie questions.

The finish is normal. Best way to get the same finish is to buy upper and lower from same manufacturer, and even that can be a crapshoot. It doesn't make the gun function differently. If you're worried about it, have the whole set cerakoted.

My opinion on the barrel...if this is your first, and likely to be only for a while, go 16". It's got more mobility, less weight, and plenty of capability to shoot 200yds accurately. I love my 18" gun, but it's not the one I'm going to be carrying around out in the woods, or a carbine course, etc. It's pretty much a bench gun exclusively.

Edit: UW beat me to posting, as I pretty much mimicked what he said.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to Weapon Evolution. Anodizing can be hard to match. If you want a good match I'd recommend Cerakoting, the stuff is very durable. As far as barrels go if your wanting melonite you may want to checkout Triarc or Sionics, they are both getting good reviews and are well priced. Keep us updated on your rifle.

http://triarcsystems.com/product/16-track-barrel/

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...id_product=116
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I will go with 16". The lower I got is an anderson. I started thinking I will do it on the less expensive side but deciding I would like some quality components. The upper I'm not exactly sure. It was in a plastic bag. But it has a keyhole marking on the side. I think I remember somewhere reading that the keyhole is decent quality. I am thinking I want to go with a nickel boron bolt group.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by IAHUNTER11 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am new here. I am an avid outdoorsman, hunting, shooting and so on. I have recently decided to build an AR-15. I have never owned one before. I have done a great deal of research recently. I have a few opinion questions with my build. I bought a lower and lower assembly kit last week. I went today and picked up a stripped upper. I want to do the entire build so it's exactly like I want instead of paying for things I will take off. I got home this evening and noticed that my new upper doesn't really have the same finish as my lower. Seems to be a little more dull. Is that normal? Idk how much I'm worried about it right now but if I can get one that will match I might change it. On the the next thing I've been considering. I have done a lot of research on barrels. I will mostly be target shooting and coyote hunting with this gun. Most shots will be 200 yards or less. The barrel I think I've decided on is an 18" 1 in 7 twist 416R Stainless steel with melonite. Might be a little over kill for what I want but would like some experienced opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to being a part of this community.
    Welcome to the forum.

I am still a FNG but I just built an AR myself from the ground up and I have gotten some great advice from members here. I have put a lot of leg work into deciding what I want and all that and all that homework really pays off. As for the barrel I don't think you would want or need an 18" for that range. It won't hurt anything but it won't really help either. It might even just be too long actually and might get in the way if you are in the brush or whatever. There are too many other factors involved than just 'length' when determining a quality barrel and what you are after.

Check out my thread that I just posted up. I have been testing and evaluating ammo/zeroing my optic/ and other stuff along those lines. My barrel is a 16" select medcon from Rainier Arms (it is also a 416R barrel) and today I shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards that was .7 inches. Pics are on the other thread. Your optic and all that needs to be determined too, but just length alone is not all there is to barrels.

I got turned on to Rainier and now I am preaching the gospel of Rainier to everyone. They live up to the hype. They aren't the only ones out there but they are great.

I can go into a lot of detail from stuff I have learned about Nitride vs Melonite vs other for treating of the barrels... as well as the types of metals involved.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a link that really helped me... passing it around again.

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske...view-part-one/

After you get done with that one we can help discuss further other things that I have learned in my own research.

All in all here in the forum you will get some sound advice. Just keep in mind that there is not one 'correct answer' to every scenario. It all depends.

After doing my first build I think the most important thing you can do at this time is to specifically define what you want the gun to do (which you have sort of done). Having a clear vision for the purpose of your gun---defining that--- is vital. Not only how do you want it to look but what is it's job going to be (very specifically). After you sharpen that up some there are numerous very good and knowledgeable people here who can give you satisfactory options for your aims.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was doing a bit of research on barrels just now since I'm thinking 16" now. I ran across a company that talks very highly of their own barrels. They seem to be fairly prices so wondering if anyone has had any experience with the equipment from. Integrity Arms. I was looking at 4150 moly with melonite 1:8 twist.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you alamo!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Gost. The sonic is in the price range I'm looking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a first welcome! I have the same sentiments as others here on your first barrel. I've never used the above mentioned but on paper they look good. I can however promise that even if you think you've built this rifle exactly as you want you'll find something as you run you wish you'd have done differently. The great thing about the AR-15 platform is if you don't like something there is a part that will allow you to change it. Try it, run it and report back. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome, you'll find the 16'' to be great in the woods and fine for typical hunting shots especially predators in woodland terrain. If you were in open country with longer shots the 18''-20'' will give you an edge. I even shoot 200yds with a 10.5'' barrel chambered in .277 wolverine and have taken deer with it out to 150yds with ease. Do you do any other hunting besides the yotes?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is great advice. I've already run across changing things a lot and I've only just started. I can only imagine what the future of this build will bring. Haha thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've met the owner of Integrity Arms and he seems to live up to the name. I've handled his barrels but never used one, they are good looking for the price point. He says they are done by the same people that do the ARPerformance barrels but I cannot confirm, if it's true my ARPerformance 6.8 is one of my most accurate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes i hunt anything I can. Deer, ducks, geese, pheasants, rabbits, squirrels and anything else I'm able to hunt.