Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by IAHUNTER11 View Post
    I was considering it bc of longevity and ease of cleaning from what I have read.
    Considering what? Melonite?

Again longevity depends on the soup not just the component. You have to take into account the underlying metal used. I've never used the mountain series from Rainier but other people have told me they can take a beating.

As for cleaning the type of rifling matters too. As does what you use to clean it with. With some of the modern cleaning products out there you would be amazed at what they do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Melonite gives about 35-45fps gain. Confirmed with my Chrony against stainless.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SBR is short barreled rifle. Any ar with a overall barrel length under 16".

This is the one I built on my anderson lower...just to get UW fired up. (All his sbr's are admittedly superior, but I dig this little gun.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You know that reminds me.... I'm going to see if I can get Ride another lower here. I'll work on it.
    I hope you can.. In all Seriousness he was F$&@ked out of one...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    That is just flat out sexy right there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I hope you can.. In all Seriousness he was F$&@ked out of one...
    I agree. Maryland's timing did not do him any favors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That it didn't!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha! Maryland still ain't doing me any favors. A few more bumps in the road and I'm out. Found a perfect house in PA yesterday, but it'll be a few months at the least til we can purchase anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the anderson lower that bad!? Do I need to start over? Haha.

Thank you alamo that is a lot to think about. I'm not super crazy accuracy mind set. Would it be nice? Of course. Am I capable? idk. I don't have a lot of experience with rifles. I had just read a lot of good things about the melonite. But that is also why I asked here bc experience beats paper in my book any day.
    Welcome IAHUNTER. As you can see, you've come to the right place. I am in the process of putting together an AR, myself. A lot of the same people gave me great advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    IAHunter,
    Welcome to Weapon Evolution forum.

I suspect your Anderson lower receiver is treated with their RF85 "No Lube" finish. Those look a bit different (slightly blacker and more of a satin sheen, if I recall correctly) than a standard anodozid finish. For a match, you could just pick up an RF85 Anderson upper for $65 or less (http://www.redbarnarmory.com/product-p/amara3upper.htm ). It really won't matter, but personally I like my uppers/lowers to be from the same manufacturer. Anderson does sell anodized receivers, too, so be aware of that if you order one.

As others have said, a modern 16" barrel should serve you well, although for a coyote gun an 18" barrel won't really hurt. Mid-length gas seems to be the way to go for 16" barrels. I am in the nitride treatment camp, personally, as I believe it better reflects the state of the art for modern barrels, but a lot of people remain unconvinced of the merits of nitriding over chrome lining. There was some discussion on that very topic on this forum a few weeks ago.

Here is a barrel that you might want to consider: https://danieldefense.com/cold-hamme...el-w-lpgb.html

The barrel in the link above comes with the gas block pinned to the barrel. That is the one thing in assembling an AR that a garage builder likely can't do on his own, so I suggest you order a barrel with the block installed or find a local smith that can do it for you. I have ordered a barrel from Ballistic Advantage before and they will pin a gas block for an additional $10 (plus the cost of the gas block, of course). BA has very reasonable prices, a good reputation, and good customer service, too. That said, my next build will have a clamp-on gas block, but I think most people would say that pinning the gas block is better.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know that reminds me.... I'm going to see if I can get Ride another lower here. I'll work on it.
    I would be eternally grateful. While it would be awesome, I accepted my upper and RAC as an awesome substitute for my misfortune.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the anderson lower that bad!? Do I need to start over? Haha.

Thank you alamo that is a lot to think about. I'm not super crazy accuracy mind set. Would it be nice? Of course. Am I capable? idk. I don't have a lot of experience with rifles. I had just read a lot of good things about the melonite. But that is also why I asked here bc experience beats paper in my book any day.
    I live about 15 miles from Hebron, where the Anderson Arms are manufactured. Needless to say, their lowers are pretty plentiful around here. My experience with them is that fitment and tolerances are spot on, as good as any other lower I've used. I think their "bad" rap is that they are sold at rock bottom prices and some folks assume that low price equates to poor quality. Also, some folks want to look cool with the most expensive parts they can find, assuming that the most expensive parts equate to best quality. It's not "cool" to have a $49 lower, when you can buy a $300 dollar lower.

I have to admit I used to be pretty snobby about the parts I used, adorning my rifles with expensive baubles, until reality hit me. Now I use what works best for me, without regard for price, sometimes they're on the high end of the price range, and sometimes on the lower end. In other words, I take a pass on the $$60 mag release in favor of a $25 mag release to make my rifles cool and "photogenic".

So, to answer your question, why not check the tolerances and fitment of your lower, before you go pay twice as much if not 5X as much for another lower.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha! Maryland still ain't doing me any favors. A few more bumps in the road and I'm out. Found a perfect house in PA yesterday, but it'll be a few months at the least til we can purchase anything.
    What's holding it up?

I would be eternally grateful. While it would be awesome, I accepted my upper and RAC as an awesome substitute for my misfortune.
    Maybe you'll get a nice housewarming gift by the time that house purchase is made.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello! Newbie questions.

What's holding it up?

Maybe you'll get a nice housewarming gift by the time that house purchase is made.
    Long story. My woman rented a townhouse when she was 19. The roommate stuck her with the lease. Owes $4200. That'll be paid this month, then we are on the prowl.

Edit: that's only if I'm being honest.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am trying to decide between 10 or 12 inch foe hand quad rail. Anyone have input or pics with 16 in barrel? I Googled it and all kinds of crazy pics popped up. Was trying to sort through a few but was a pain.