Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello! Newbie questions.

Quote Originally Posted by IAHUNTER11 View Post
    I am trying to decide between 10 or 12 inch foe hand quad rail. Anyone have input or pics with 16 in barrel? I Googled it and all kinds of crazy pics popped up. Was trying to sort through a few but was a pain.
    My recommendation is the 12" with a 16" barrel. Also Depends on your barrel gas setup. A carbine length will be fine if you go a 10". A mid length with a 10" may partially expose the gas block depending on the rail. I can't remember off the top of my head but it's close.
    Last edited by Dstrbdmedic167; 12 February 2015 at 05:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    My recommendation is the 12" with a 16" barrel. Also Depends on your barrel gas setup. A carbine length will be fine if you go a 10". A mid length with a 10" may partially expose the gas block depending on the rail. I can't remember off the top of my head but it's close.
    Is there ever a reason to go with a carbine gas system on a 16" barrel? It seems like most go mid. Just wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    Is there ever a reason to go with a carbine gas system on a 16" barrel? It seems like most go mid. Just wondering...

Depends on the manufacturers preference. A carbine gas system will have more gas BC it has a shorter length of travel to the Bcg and may or may not cause overpressure issues. I personally like mid length gas systems. As a matter a fact I think everything but my 308 is a midlength. The 308 is a 20" barrel and is rifle length

Downloads
    Uploads
    Makes sense.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Oh no. You opened the flood gates. Now UW is gonna give you flak for that anderson lower!
    Quote Originally Posted by IAHUNTER11 View Post
    Is the anderson lower that bad!? Do I need to start over?
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Just don't be lame and SBR that lower.

LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    My recommendation is the 12" with a 16" barrel.
    +1 for the 12" rail on the 16" setup. Just go mid length and be done with it

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's the same I was thinking. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 12"+ rail and I'm going to buy a 16" middy as well.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 12"+ rail and I'm going to buy a 16" middy as well.

All the cool kids are doing it

Downloads
    Uploads

I think carbine gas systems have had an unfair rep the last few years. There is nothing wrong with them. The majority of shooters don't shoot enough to see a real difference on how hard the carbine gas system maybe on their guns vs a middy.

This whole middy vs carbine gas has been overblown, with perceived "softer" shooting of the mid. Personally, I don't feel much of a difference. Your experiences may vary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think carbine gas systems have had an unfair rep the last few years. There is nothing wrong with them. The majority of shooters don't shoot enough to see a real difference on how hard the carbine gas system maybe on their guns vs a middy.

This whole middy vs carbine gas has been overblown, with perceived "softer" shooting of the mid. Personally, I don't feel much of a difference. Your experiences may vary.
    I probably think about things a bit differently than most but I think it terms of pressure and mechanics. Those 2 inches probably won't make that much difference but it may be just enough to keep the gas out of my face, especially if I shoot suppressed. I also think about the length of tune like a firehouse. The longer hose will have less pressure at bc there is more volume within the tube itself with the carbine vs mid, this decreasing overall pressure.

Again just how my crazy brain thinks and works. Just my personal preference and opinion. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just makes it mine. I will say the carbine I did have at one time. I didn't notice it shoot any different in terms of recoil. An AR is a AR....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I probably think about things a bit differently than most but I think it terms of pressure and mechanics. Those 2 inches probably won't make that much difference but it may be just enough to keep the gas out of my face, especially if I shoot suppressed. I also think about the length of tune like a firehouse. The longer hose will have less pressure at bc there is more volume within the tube itself with the carbine vs mid, this decreasing overall pressure.

Again just how my crazy brain thinks and works. Just my personal preference and opinion. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just makes it mine. I will say the carbine I did have at one time. I didn't notice it shoot any different in terms of recoil. An AR is a AR....
    Well, when you shoot suppressed...

Let me know when you design a middy 10.5

I'll be all over it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot my Carbine and My Mid length rifles on the same day. Unfortunately its not a straight comparison because the Mid also has a BCM comp 0 on it. Other than that they are close enough. Prone and kneeling there was no noticeable difference. Moving and shooting the middy was far more controllable and stayed on target much better.

Again its not a fair comparison because of the comp and the forearm length. If they both had the same flash suppressor and same length forearm it may have been no noticeable difference. As they sit the middy is definitely my go to rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For 5.56 I think it's splitting hairs really especially with the outstanding comps and brakes around. 6.8 and up there is a difference, 6.8 really needs mid and up to function at it's best.
    IAHUNTER, have you considered stepping over to the AR platform for your medium game hunting as well? I really like the way an AR handles when stalking whitetails and hogs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would love to if I could. But we are not allowed to hunt deer with rifles. I would like to some day build one to hog hunt with. I have never done that and would like to some day.