Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

WEVO T&E - Mission First Tactical Mags

I received two Mission First Tactical mags through the WEVO T&E program. I'll use this thread as a running update along with a final written evaluation, at which point I'll update this OP with the final word.
    This post has been updated as of 3/1/2015 to include all information and final thoughts.

To start things off I'd mentioned that I thought the mags felt ever so slightly smaller in dimension than Pmags. Computalotapus mentioned that he'd be particularly interested in dimensions since Gen 2 Pmags are tight in one of his receivers.

Below you'll find dimensional measurements from portions of the mags that are inserted into the receiver.

Spine to belly (A), thickness (B), thickness at receiver reliefs (C), thickness including maglatch stop (D) and thickness at the front ribs (E).

Mission First Tactical:

A: 2.5265"

B: 0.8755"

C: 0.851"

D: 0.875"

E: 0.9225"

Magpul Gen2:
    A: 2.529"
    B: 0.889"
    C: 0.869"
    D: 0.875"
    E: 0.9285"

Magpul Gen3:
    A: 2.521"
    B: 0.8805"
    C: 0.844"
    D: 0.8765"
    E: 0.938"

Bushmaster Aluminum Mag:
    A: 2.5375"
    B: 0.879"
    C: 0.850"
    D: 0.882"
    E: 0.918"

HexMag
    A: 2.540"
    B: 0.888"
    C: 0.894"
    D: 0.880"
    E: 0.914"

As you'll see the Mission First Tactical mags are slightly smaller in all areas (except one, where they are the same) as Pmag Gen2s. Some areas of the Pmag Gen 3 are smaller yet.

Comparing Followers.

The anti tilt followers seem to be on par with what we'd expect. They don't have the same look as the magpul's we're used to but function the same. No tilt to the rear and similar tilting forward.

MFT

Pmag Gen2

Here is a comparison of the mags broke down. Gen2 Pmag on top, MFT on bottom. For what its worth, the magpul follower will work in the MFT but not vise versa.

Removing the toolless floor plate was easy as well as re-installing.

For anyone wondering, these will take a stripper guide.

Drop Testing

I took a mag out and did some drop testing, loaded and unloaded.
    Mag performed fine unloaded. Performed fine when dropped on base and even feed lips. The mag did fail when dropped on it's spine however. These tests were performed in near zero degree (F) weather.

MFT Spine Failure by Pyzik, on Flickr

In response so a lot of hate that the MFT mag received, I decided to do the same test with a Magpul Gen2 mag and it failed in the same manner.

After failing both mags had difficulty holding 30 rounds. They loaded and locked into the rifle.
    The MFT mag loaded and chambered all 30 rounds even after failure. The Gen2 Pmag had a FTFeed at round 8 after failure.

Using the mag as a Monopod

I took the remaining mag to the range and shot from several positions. Using the mag as a brace against objects and as a monopod. The mag functioned flawlessly while being pressed upward into the receiver as a monopod and while being pressed forward and backward against obstacles.

MFT vs Car

I placed a loaded mag in the drive and ran it over several times. I had to run to the store and thought well, why not take a mag with me and toss it out of the car to simulate falling off a truck (or whatever).

The mag survived just fine, albeit some scuffs and scratches. The mag still locked up and functioned fine in the rifle.

There must have been a hairline fracture or a crack that I missed because after hitting the range again to shoot the magazine I noticed upon loading that the mag that there is another fracture along the spine.

Another Failure by Pyzik, on Flickr

Final Failure by Pyzik, on Flickr

Notice there are actually TWO fractures here.

So with that, this T&E is a wrap.

Final Thoughts
    Would I buy these mags over others? Yes, though I am no brand loyalist. I will buy what is the cheapest so long as I can trust them. So if I can find these cheaper than other trusted mags, I'd buy them.

Duty use? That's for you to decide with the evidence presented and your own research. I'm no professional gun slinger. These would be used for mostly range/class use. The chances of my employing a long gun for defense are minuscule.

This was fun and I thank Weapons Evolution and Mission First Tactical for the opportunity to test and play with these mags!
    Last edited by Pyzik; 1 March 2015 at 10:54.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    nice so there just small in the right areas so it will drop free interesting i like that
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    They've definitely done their research if their tolerances hold true. A trial of two pieces may not be a true measure, but i like the improved drop ability if they all run that small

Somebody needs to measure the Hexmag now

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CK 187 View Post
    They've definitely done their research if their tolerances hold true. A trial of two pieces may not be a true measure, but i like the improved drop ability if they all run that small

Somebody needs to measure the Hexmag now
    I can do it tomorrow if someone doesn't best me to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I can do it tomorrow if someone doesn't best me to it.
    I've got one on the way but it won't be here tomorrow. Lemme know what you get!
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sweet. Definitely interested to see if the MFT's will drop free. Like i said the Gen 3's work perfectly but options are always good to have

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    scientific with the numbers.

now run over it with a truck and throw it out a 10th floor window, then do auto mag dumps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    scientific with the numbers.

now run over it with a truck and throw it out a 10th floor window, then do auto mag dumps.

Sooooon.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been involved with a company doing a 10k round torture test this week and the MFT's are running right with the lancer awm's and Magpul M2 and M3 mags up to today which we cleared 6500 rounds. Other newer designs have not impressed as much, and others have failed miserably.
    Last edited by VIPER 237; 11 February 2015 at 17:52.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    So if i read that right there a hair shorter outside, did that decrease the inside number?

Just curious as us handloaders are usually on the long side for the heavy bullets, and some of my magpuls have been tighter the others..just curious, sense you broke out the calipers..lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good thought, I'll check today if I can get a good read.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I brought the mags with me again to work today, along with 5 factory Federal XM109 rounds.
    EDIT: The rounds are factory loads, not the reloads I thought they were.

The 5 rounds measure out to 2.253, 2.253, 2.255, 2.256 & 2.256"
    The best measurements I could get of the inside of the mags, where the tip of the bullet would be is 2.259".

Here you can see the rounds as compared to a Magpul Gen2.

MFT

Pmag Gen2
    Last edited by Pyzik; 12 February 2015 at 10:02.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks a little tight. (Insert joke here)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Comparing the mag followers.

The anti tilt followers seem to be on par with what we'd expect. They don't have the same look as the magpul's we're used to but function the same. No tilt to the rear and similar tilting forward.

MFT

Pmag Gen2

Here is a comparison of the mags broke down. Gen2 Pmag on top, MFT on bottom. For what its worth, the magpul follower will work in the MFT but not vise versa.

Removing the toolless floor plate was easy as well as re-installing.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    For what its worth, the magpul follower will work in the MFT but not vise versa.
    That's actually a nice little piece of info right there