Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    .277 Wolverine.

I am interested.

What's the story behind this round? What's it's claim to fame?

Downloads
    Uploads

My cure to cabin fever! 5.56 -> 277wlv

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    .277 Wolverine.

I am interested.

It started a long time ago in a galaxy far far away... J/K

I started about two years ago when Mark at Mad Dog Weapon Systems had an idea. In short it's a 277 caliber projectile in a resized 5.56 case. Projectiles range from 85-110 in most cases with a few outside that window. We are actually just getting started on a slower twist barrel to help stabilize the heavy bullets. Standard rifles are 1/11 and the new sub barrels are 1/7. The sub barrels are designed with 150-200gr projectiles at subsonic rounds in mind but testing is just starting with the sub barrels.

This all came when Mark wanted 6.8spc performance but didn't want to change parts. ie- Barrel, bolt and mags. With the 277 wolverine it is just a barrel change and uses a standard 556 bolt and mags. The 277WLV pushes 90gr Gold dot projectile up to 2800fps from a 16" barrel with .38" MOA. The 1/11 twist 10.5 will push the same up to 2550. It s a great round IMO and one of my favs and go rifles. I actually got rid of my 6.8 stuff because it can do what I want without proprietary components.

Also the 1st birthday of the 1st wolverine shot was just last week. It's gone far in just a years time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    .277 Wolverine.

I am interested.

A brief outline of the benefits of this young, but very viable round includes:

-Plentiful and cheap (and often free) .223/5.56 brass

-Milspec bolts and magazines--simple barrel swap

-Superior supersonic ballistics to the 300Blk, with supsonice anticipated to perform almost as well.

-Very similar ballistics (if not the same or better) to factory 6.8spc loadings . Per Federal, their 6.8 loading of the 90g Gold Dot is 2604fps whereas the 90g Gold Dot in the 277WLV can achieve that speed very easily and very safely.

Here is a link to an article that Western Powder published on the WLV:
    http://blog.westernpowders.com/2014/...-of-a-wildcat/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    It started a long time ago in a galaxy far far away... J/K

I started about two years ago when Mark at Mad Dog Weapon Systems had an idea. In short it's a 277 caliber projectile in a resized 5.56 case. Projectiles range from 85-110 in most cases with a few outside that window. We are actually just getting started on a slower twist barrel to help stabilize the heavy bullets. Standard rifles are 1/11 and the new sub barrels are 1/7. The sub barrels are designed with 150-200gr projectiles at subsonic rounds in mind but testing is just starting with the sub barrels.

This all came when Mark wanted 6.8spc performance but didn't want to change parts. ie- Barrel, bolt and mags. With the 277 wolverine it is just a barrel change and uses a standard 556 bolt and mags. The 277WLV pushes 90gr Gold dot projectile up to 2800fps from a 16" barrel with .38" MOA. The 1/11 twist 10.5 will push the same up to 2550. It s a great round IMO and one of my favs and go rifles. I actually got rid of my 6.8 stuff because it can do what I want without proprietary components.

Also the 1st birthday of the 1st wolverine shot was just last week. It's gone far in just a years time.
    WOW.

I learn so much stuff coming here. That sounds amazing. This is definitely one that could be on the short list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WOW.

I learn so much stuff coming here. That sounds amazing. This is definitely one that could be on the short list.
    He's got some awesome sales on some barrels right now! And ammo, while a little pricey, can be had unless you reload then it's just as much as any other round.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He's got some awesome sales on some barrels right now! And ammo, while a little pricey, can be had unless you reload then it's just as much as any other round.
    I am still learning and tuning my AR right now. But looking down the road I have a couple of options for the next one... a suppressed 300 Blackout and about 5000 subs is one...and maybe a longer range rifle is another.

The super suppressed stuff is pretty much going to be blackout with the aim being ear muff less shooting. I might SBR it as well, I don't know yet. On that note I could drop a couple hundred on a threaded barrel for my Sig P226 and suppress that as well. (I am trying to get very specific in my wants and their purpose)

I am curious as to the ballistics of this Wolverine. The fact that it's on a standard upper and lower and bolt and all that is mighty appealing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ballistics are just as good or better(bullet dependent) with supers over the 300blk. The standard parts list also intrigued me. Check out the WLV forum when you get a chance

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ballistics are just as good or better(bullet dependent) with supers over the 300blk. The standard parts list also intrigued me. Check out the WLV forum when you get a chance
    Geez man. I am getting ahead of myself here but this is pretty tempting. I have learn a lot more before I commit to one or the other or both. I need to DTP (define the purpose) of every caliber that I plan to keep. Suppression is definitely in my future, but how to get there is another thing all together. Going long range is another thing I might want to do as well. I just don't know what I will do.