Downloads
    Uploads

Which way to go?

Ok so I've been eyeing some of the "solution for a created problem" items for some time now. As most know I shoot lefty and when shooting suppressed it isn't fun getting a face full of gas. Not saying I'm getting either but for the fun of it you were going to get one of these which would you get and why?
    The W.A.R upper which has the selector on the upper for suppressed vs Unsuppressed.

Or the gemtech or other name brand suppressed bolt carrier. Which is the Turn of a screw for suppressed vs Unsuppressed.

Again not saying I'm getting either but I'm curious to thoughts and the reason you'd go with one over the other.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i personally like the idea of the W.A.R upper less moving parts
    the BCG to many moving part more chances of some thing going wrong
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would try the carrier just to see what it does. Why not try one of the CMT wrong sided uppers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    I would try the carrier just to see what it does. Why not try one of the CMT wrong sided uppers.
    Is then I'm very limited to Bolts. Only maker I'm aware of is stag. They make good stuff but would prefer not to go that route. Very limited resell market if that need ever came up. Motto say either one of these wouldn't but I bet I could sell one of the above easier than a left handed model.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Is then I'm very limited to Bolts. Only maker I'm aware of is stag. They make good stuff but would prefer not to go that route. Very limited resell market if that need ever came up. Motto say either one of these wouldn't but I bet I could sell one of the above easier than a left handed model.
    Whatever you're BRD to the gills, you don't care about shipping packages only receiving. You could always do a CMT lefty upper with the ambi lower, stag carrier with a Adams piston key, Adams Arms piston kit. Then it's perfect for the wrong handed and virtually no gas to worry bout.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    Whatever you're BRD to the gills, you don't care about shipping packages only receiving. You could always do a CMT lefty upper with the ambi lower, stag carrier with a Adams piston key, Adams Arms piston kit. Then it's perfect for the wrong handed and virtually no gas to worry bout.
    Piston... Meh...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both seem like decent options, but I'm not left handed. So here's my opinion from a right handed state of mind. If I was a lefty I would get the CMT like GaSwamper recommended. That's the best looking lefty upper I've seen and would probably divert the most gas. My second option would be an adjustable gas block and Lantac's E-BCG. The redirected gas ports on the E-BCG may take care of some of the gas to the face.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I think there will be more entrants into the lefty market sooner rather than later. But I could be wrong. I still think you should build a lefty rifle.

For a CMT upper and a LH bolt you are talking about $325 or so and you will have infinitely less hassles. That is not 325 extra. That's just 325 period as part of the overall gun.

If I was a lefty I would be on that like white on rice. Even if you CAN'T resell the bolt and upper, so what. I think you would be able to sell them if you wanted so I wouldn't worry about it too much. We can blow $300 in ammo in no time... so why not make your experience more enjoyable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know much about either one, but i'd probably go for the adjustable bolt carrier. It's a bit more versatile, as you could run your can on multiple weapons just by changing out the carrier, as opposed to being able to adjust the gas on just one upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rightys that shoot suppressed without mitigating gas flow still get gas in the face. Getting a lefty upper will simply push the same amount of gas out a different way, doing nothing to really check the problem. It may be less directed at your face but it's still the same amount of gas. Doing something to reduce it would help you immensely and in more ways than just redirecting gases

I have a WAR upper. Aside from greatly reducing gas blowback, it helps keep things cooler and cleaner. You'll still get fouling built up a lot quicker than unsuppressed shooting but not nearly as fast as you would with no adjustable gas system. The WAR on my 16" gun with standard carbine buffer (less return weight than a heavy) is the softest shooting rifle I have ever been behind.

Before I got the WAR, I'd done the RTV silicone thing to my charging handle. Not sure if it still does anything but the combination of the two makes for a real pleasant time. This is shooting brass cased handloads....not sure how some of the real dirty russian ammo would vary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Former!! I shoot brass handloads as well for all calibers I own. I still need to get out and do some fine tuning to see if that'll help any but don't foresee a lot of change.

I'm not against a left handed build but as Former said this seems like a better "solution". But I've been known to be wrong, at least so I'm told.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Armageddon charging handle is designed to reduce blast running suppressed. As cans are verboten in MN, I can't say how well they do that job. Mine feels very solidly constructed and functions at least as well as my other ambis.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/08...arging-handle/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Former!! I shoot brass handloads as well for all calibers I own. I still need to get out and do some fine tuning to see if that'll help any but don't foresee a lot of change.

I'm not against a left handed build but as Former said this seems like a better "solution". But I've been known to be wrong, at least so I'm told.
    This might be a long shot but you could always contact Innovative Arms and see if they will convert a lefty upper you send them to a WAR configuration for you and have both in your favor