Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lite

Downloads
    Uploads

Lite

The sickness continues. The next build is a lightweight carbine. Thanks to PA's sale last week I picked up the MI Lightweight M-LOK 12" handguard which provided me the barrel nut I need to mount my Voodoo Innovations 16" mid-length gas EVO Ultra-Lite barrel to my Aero Precision no-FA upper

I'm waiting on the gas tube (a Voodoo Innovations "life coat" version) to arrive before I install the DD clamp-on gas block.

I threw the MI handguard on just to play with it. I'm pretty impressed with the weight (8.2 oz) and looks. I'm not used to such a skinny handguard but I think I'll like it:

Still need to order a muzzle device and the lower this is destined for will take a while to complete, but I''ll run it on another lower I have destined for an SPR since it will be a while before I order the barrel for that build.

I don't think my wife is going to be very pleased when she finally realizes that all those boxes showing up over the past few months amount to another rifle or two in the safe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks very nice, what muzzle device are you getting?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been using nearly the same upper configuration for a while now (Rainer no-FA upper, 14.5" EVO UL with pinned Wilson Accutac, MI Gen 2 rail).

You're going to like this when you get it finished......

And oh yeah, you might want to check that DD block to make sure the rail clears it......that was one of my concerns when I looked at it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    looking good can not wait
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've already done this about a year or so back. I think I even wrote about it. About the only "non-essential" thing I hung off of it was a Epsilon VG6 muzzle brake. The Voodoo barrel is insanely light, and to my surprise, still hold zero fairly well when heated up, compared to a HBAR or heavier barrel, and weighed in a 1lb. 3oz's. if I recall. I used a MI KMR, but the builds could almost be identical. Enjoy the build, mine wears an Aimpoint H1, with MBUS', and I love the weight. It's pretty much my go to rifle, out of six, that I would grab for most situations. Have fun.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Looks very nice, what muzzle device are you getting?
    Probably the V7 muzzle brake in black nitride.

The DD .625 low pro clamp on gas block clears the handguard just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice functional build Boiler, Well done sir!

FortTom did you say you also have a LW voodoo melonite barrel on one of yours? Many rounds on it yet, would love to hear your overall thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like it. I'm waiting for a 16" Faxon pencil barrel to come back in stock for something similar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Nice functional build Boiler, Well done sir!

FortTom did you say you also have a LW voodoo melonite barrel on one of yours? Many rounds on it yet, would love to hear your overall thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I did. The whole project started after waiting months for Bravo Company's "light weight" keymod complete upper to come out. Normally, I don't purchase complete uppers, but in that case, I wanted one, and waited what seemed like forever, to get it. The quality was typical BC, that is to say it was great, but although "lighter" than most, it was not what I expected. So I set out to build my own. It is based on the same barrel, the voodoo 16" Adam Arms ultra light barrel. If I remember correctly, it weighs 1lb. 3oz's. Combined with a super light MI Keymod rail, the whole upper was insanely light. I didn't attach anything to that rifle that I didn't really need, but I could have saved a few more ounce's by forgoing the muzzle brake and the CRT stock, for something lighter. My main concern was that the rifle would start spitting lead all over the place as soon as I put 10 or 15 rounds down the barrel. I thought it's diminutive profile would also be it's down fall, as well.

I was very surprised when it didn't. It certainly won't hold groups as well as a HBAR, or a custom match barrel, but the groups don't turn into "spray and prey" either, after a magazine dump.

As my lightest AR, it is one of my favorites, if not favorite rifle in my herd. Just a few days ago, I was trying to cram a new O/U shotgun in the safe, and I picked up the BC version, and my "Voodoo gun", together, as they sit side by side by the safe, and still had a smile come across my face, when I realized how much lighter it actually was. While not my most accurate AR, accuracy is not bad. Also, I cannot foresee any scenario, where I'd be dumping 30 rounds as fast as I can, except just goofing off at the range, so my concerns about a super thin, super light barrel mostly vaporized on it's first trip out.

I had surgery to repair broken vertebrae and ruptured discs, early last year, which then aggravated my shoulder too, so my shooting was pretty limited last year. I put about 200 rounds through it at the most, so that's all I can base my experience with it on, but so far, I am extremely pleased.

I'm guessing BoilerUp will be pleased too.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Received a few more parts for my Lite build. I blame GOST for these:

I'm looking for a deal on the MFT minimalist....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Almost there...glass should arrive tomorrow

The V7 comp is probably a little longer and heavier than I want, but I think I'll run this until I can find a Rainier Mini Comp 2.0.

I'm hoping to get out to the range with it in the next two weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    She looks great, let us know how she does.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    The V7 comp is probably a little longer and heavier than I want, but I think I'll run this until I can find a Rainier Mini Comp 2.
    Surprised you didn't go with the titanium brake. It's 1.1 oz lighter, but 0.3 oz is heavier than the RA Mini Comp 2.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/colle...roducts/furion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, Gost. That titanium brake looks good and certainly would suit the build better. I didn't look at it too closely because of the cost. I was thinking the RMC 2.0 or ALG SCB would be good, but it seems like the give up quite a bit of performance to keep the package small and light. However, as I continue to read and research comps, I'm actually starting to lean pretty heavily to the PWS TTO.

My glass showed up today and I got it mounted up. The wife told me to take it out to the range this weekend so hopefully I'll have some results to talk about in a few days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you used a RA Mini Comp before?

I only ask because even though I'm a big RA supporter, the mini comp is crap.