Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lite

Downloads
    Uploads
    looks good
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Have you used a RA Mini Comp before?

I only ask because even though I'm a big RA supporter, the mini comp is crap.
    I haven't. Thanks for that input. I read an article yesterday on testing recoil reduction that indicated that the RA mini comp and ALG SCB only reduce recoil about 1/3 to half as much as the full size comps. That's why I'm starting to lean towards the PWS TTO as it should have all the same recoil mitigation as the well regarded FSC in a slightly shorter/lighter package. I run an FSC on a PTR91 and love it.

This build is intended for female shooters, so I want good recoil reduction. I think I've about convinced myself to forget about the short single chamber brakes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For brakes I've been impressed with the VG6 Epsilon. It weighs in at 2.4 oz and is extremely flat shooting. For $85.49 it'll be hard to beat. It is also compatible with the new VG6 CAGE. The CAGE is a sleeve that allows you to adjust the side blast of the brake.

http://www.rainierarms.com/vg6-precision-epsilon-556
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just remember that with recoil reduction comes blast, and while you may not notice it as an experienced shooter, a new shooter, who is already scared of the gun, will.

I was quite surprised to find that females gravitated towards my 10.5" untralight gun with an A2 birdcage, even with the increase in felt recoil, over other comped guns.

We're i building a girl gun today it would have an adjustable gas block so that I could attempt to regulate the recoil that way and avid having a brake on the gun.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Rob_s. I have taken my 8 year old daughter shooting a few times and with any 5.56 with a brake she would flinch and sometimes even close both eyes. She went from 6-8" groups at 25 yds to 2-3" groups when I set her up with a rifle wearing a A2. I know most will laugh at this but I used a Ares adjustable brake on my 18" PRI MK12 upper and plugged all the holes but the row down the very top and she shot a 1.5" 5 shot group off bags on a bench. The blast is definitely more of an issue than recoil with novice shooters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you used a RA Mini Comp before?

I only ask because even though I'm a big RA supporter, the mini comp is crap.
    What do you not like about the mini comp? I only ask because I have one and even though it doesn't reduce the felt recoil as much as the Phase 5 it still keeps the rifle from jumping all around. It does throw a decent fireball but since I don't do any night shooting with it I am not to concerned with it. There is some concussion off it but nothing like the Phase 5 brake.

I guess I have no clue what I am talking about because it is the only comp that I have shot and I have nothing to compare it to except the extended flash hider on the M&P 15 and a Phase 5 brake. I will say as far as shooting goes I like shooting the rifle with the mini rac as it feels to me to have the best balance of reduced recoil vs concussive shock. The phase 5 brake keeps the rifle flat flat like you are shooting a .22 rifle but the concussion off it rattles your internal organs and some ppl at the range even say it makes them nauseas. I know when Christina is shooting her rifle with the P5 brake I feel like she is dropping a MK3 every time she pulls the trigger.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting input, guys. My wife shoots my .308 with the PWS FSC and doesn't mind the blast, but I can see your point and understand how my daughter might be not react the same. Maybe I'll just throw an A2 flashider on it for now and return the V7 while my bank account recovers from buying that Swarovski.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What a fantastic optic. I have one on a .30-378 and I love it. Great eye box and crystal clear at any magnification.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    What do you not like about the mini comp? I only ask because I have one and even though it doesn't reduce the felt recoil as much as the Phase 5 it still keeps the rifle from jumping all around. It does throw a decent fireball but since I don't do any night shooting with it I am not to concerned with it. There is some concussion off it but nothing like the Phase 5 brake.

I guess I have no clue what I am talking about because it is the only comp that I have shot and I have nothing to compare it to except the extended flash hider on the M&P 15 and a Phase 5 brake. I will say as far as shooting goes I like shooting the rifle with the mini rac as it feels to me to have the best balance of reduced recoil vs concussive shock. The phase 5 brake keeps the rifle flat flat like you are shooting a .22 rifle but the concussion off it rattles your internal organs and some ppl at the range even say it makes them nauseas. I know when Christina is shooting her rifle with the P5 brake I feel like she is dropping a MK3 every time she pulls the trigger.
    It's just no fun to shoot. If I'm going to go with a brake, I'm going with a full size dual port or triple port brake. The minicomp just throws off too much of a fireball.

OP, you could also try the 2A Armament T3 Titanium Compensator. I haven't tried it, but someone has to be the guinea pig!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's just no fun to shoot. If I'm going to go with a brake, I'm going with a full size dual port or triple port brake. The minicomp just throws off too much of a fireball.

OP, you could also try the 2A Armament T3 Titanium Compensator. I haven't tried it, but someone has to be the guinea pig!
    I love shooting my NTD build, its not overly loud and I have quick follow up shots on 75-100 yd steel while on the move.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After we get approved for the BCM SBR lower, I have a BCM 14.5 LW barrel that is begging for a V7 furion dual port brake (1.6oz)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    We love guinea pigs!
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I took the V7 off and am returning it. It looks very nice and I bet it works well, but it just isn't what I'm looking for for this build.

I swung by Rainier Arms over lunch and they hooked me up with a used A2.

I'll run that until I make up my mind, but am still leaning towards the PWS TTO. I'm headed to the range in the morning to put the first rounds through the rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Made it out the range for the second time with this build today. I've probably got about 100 rounds through it now with no hiccups. The only ammo I had the first time out was military ball (55 and 62 gr) and a box of remanufactured Black Hills 77 OTM. The reman Black Hills didn't give me quite the performance I was hoping, but I wasn't sure if it was the ammo or the rifle. I also quickly realized that it is pretty silly to run a $900 optic with a $30 dollar trigger, so I picked up a Geiselle Super Tricon from ROG with the help of a discount code. With the new trigger and some factory new SSA 77 gr OTM and Hornady 69 gr BTHP, I was eager to get back out to the range today.

With the addition of the Geissele Super Tricon and running the factory new SSA 77gr OTM, I'm pretty confident in saying the rifle shoots better than I do. Here was my best and last group of the day:

As you can see, that's a frustrating group as 4 of the 5 rounds are well under an inch, but my flyer doubles the group size (that's a one inch grid). This was at a hundred yards, shooting prone.

I'm very pleased with everything about this rifle. The only negative comment I have is that the MFT minimalist stock isn't very good for shooting off a bench with sandbags, but that's kind of like complaining about not being able to fit a sheet of plywood in the back of a Jetta - that's not what it was designed for.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 27 April 2015 at 06:37.