Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Let's leave bolts out of this one... I'm doing all I can to stay away from that realm of a money pit.

Haha calling him out huh? And yea I'm sure there will be several more as time goes.
    I know my husband quite well, he will never be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by akersc View Post

True true!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dude we have 2 kids, we will not be done after 3. You know you'll build more!

lol
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Granted I haven't even built one yet, but after something thinking and some consultation (shout out to you MoxyDave), I'll probably end up only having maybe only a handful of complete rifles. I'll probably end up having maybe 3 or so 5.56 rifles and, for sure, one .22LR dedicated build and one 300BLK build.

(EDIT: This is also excluding special projects; ie: doing something like an M16A1 or an M16A4 clone)

Now if you were to ask how many uppers, as alamo said - a whole nother can of worms lol.

But who knows, I'm young and inexperienced lol.
    Last edited by Thompson; 22 February 2015 at 18:55.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought I was saturated, but I feel myself getting a little itch again.

Mostly, it's because I suspect our low-cost heyday will end when the presidential campaigns start up, so building another 1-2 carbines might not be the worst idea I've ever had. Final target for "keepers" might be in sixish range with half the lowers stamped. I don't mind having a couple of spare uppers and some extra parts lying around, either.

I might need to sneak a couple more 1911's into the buying pattern, too :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So how many is too many?

I think I've reached saturation awhile ago. I've actually started to break down uppers, for parts on other projects, something I never used to do. I guess I'm at the point where I don't want to continuously pay for parts and accessories that I already have a dozen of.

How many AR's are you comfortable owning?
    I was thinking this exact thought when I read your post earlier about Form 1'ing "one more" lower. On the AR front, I can't see getting anymore lowers since everything I have has been built for a specific purpose, and now I have enough in the pool to build something different once one of them wears out. That said, I do still wonder if I should Form 1 "just one more..."

But as you said, what should it be? Aero, BCM, LMT, or maybe that Spartan...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got started a long time ago and built everything I wanted. It was fun and I learned a lot. Now I know exactly what I like and I'm unloading everything I don't shoot frequently. I'll pick something up once in a while just for fun but ARs have jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. There are so many retarded contraptions coming out these days, sifting through the chaff has become tiresome. I try to maintain a good attitude about it - I mean more choice is never a bad thing, but often I find myself just shaking my head in disgust when I see things like Titanium takedown pins and "blast shield" muzzle devices.

Every time I think this market has reached saturation, something even more retarded shows up. I understand if people just want to play Barbie with their gun, that's fine I've been there too. That's just not where my head is at nowadays. I guess it's easy for me to say now that I've tried a lot of that stuff and found what I like. I'll probably end up keeping 4 or 5 ARs, only because a couple are NFA items and they're kind of a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Downloads
    Uploads

He means well... ;-)

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I got started a long time ago and built everything I wanted. It was fun and I learned a lot. Now I know exactly what I like and I'm unloading everything I don't shoot frequently. I'll pick something up once in a while just for fun but ARs have jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. There are so many retarded contraptions coming out these days, sifting through the chaff has become tiresome. I try to maintain a good attitude about it - I mean more choice is never a bad thing, but often I find myself just shaking my head in disgust when I see things like Titanium takedown pins and "blast shield" muzzle devices.

Every time I think this market has reached saturation, something even more retarded shows up. I understand if people just want to play Barbie with their gun, that's fine I've been there too. That's just not where my head is at nowadays. I guess it's easy for me to say now that I've tried a lot of that stuff and found what I like. I'll probably end up keeping 4 or 5 ARs, only because a couple are NFA items and they're kind of a pain in the ass to get rid of.
    I don't know why, but just recently, I've started having some of the same feeling that you do. Maybe just a bit of burn out. Might concentrate on some Pheasant and Quail hunting, Trap, Five Stand and Steel Plate shooting, and maybe the "thrill" will find it's way back soon. Stuff like Titanium takedown pins kind of helped me along the jaded road a bit, along with some other things. I don't visit the forum as much as to see "what's new", but more of what people are doing with what they've built or bought. Serious reviews and T&E reviews still interest me, but crap like your example of titanium take down pins, and other ridiculous stuff, anything, just to market something new, has sort of drug me down also.
    Last edited by FortTom; 22 February 2015 at 18:56.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 4, and feasibly I need one more. I don't have a 16" 5.56 gun. I'm sure I'll build more than 1 more in my years, but that's all I NEED right now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I put all the uppers on all the lowers and count the two with all parts, but not finished, it's at least a dozen. Problem is I hate to sell anything.

I've given one away to a family member and have offered free ARs to others if they just take a basic gun safety class. No takers so far. Sad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got a 6.8spc a 5.56 a 308 and I'm now building a 300blk . I plan on building enough that everyone in my family has one or when shtf I have enough to just grab a new rifle instead of reloading

Downloads
    Uploads
    I currently have two, a lighter 16" with red dot and a heavier 18" SPR style with PRS and magnified optics. I think for me four would be the perfect number. Number 3 would be a SBR lower for 300blk and Number 4 would be an AR10 with 260rem and/or 308 uppers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only have complete guns or parts. I have never switched uppers on any weapon I own. Some are packaged for long term storage, some sit in the safes, and a few get shot heavily. Other than a few of the eccentric calibers I own at least one of every caliber in the AR15 format. I only buy deals now a days on complete guns and parts, and have been concentrating on getting quality glass on all I currently own. My last 3 builds have been AR10 pattern.
    Last edited by SINNER; 23 February 2015 at 12:40.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think this gets into what you are going to use each AR for. I am of the opinion that you can reach most of the potential of the platform with one gun, and if you really strive for improvement with it I'm sure you can get REALLY good with it. But I can also see where there would be "niche" set-ups. You already see that with the MK12, MK18 programs. Something I never really understood was why more guys don't just set-up a lower exactly how they want it, and then go buy multiple uppers with different barrel lengths/types and hand guards for the intended use.

If you settle on a layout that works for you, I would buy two and have one be your back-up gun. What I want to do now is buy another lower, and get it SBR'd. That means I can have something compact and lightweight, and I can also have an AR that I don't have to deal with extra NFA stuff. I was looking at one in .308 for longer range stuff, but I think I'll get a SCAR-H instead.