Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I haven't yet met Jeff Cross in person but he is a second generation machinist, very talented and personable. I imagine if you email (don't tie up their phones) he'd help you. I wasn't here then but CMT did a run of WEVO laser engraved PMAGs. He still had the file, and laser engravers work FAST so he didn't seem to mind helping me as long as it didn't tie up his machine obviously.

However almost all companies put their "rollmark" on the left. Thats traditionally the spot where you recognize the brand. So I'm fairly adamant about putting the WEVO logo there. Plenty of guys get laser engraving on the right. And it normally turns out wonderfully.
    Gotcha - well, will have to shoot him an email eventually .... yeah I was here when the WEVO mags went around ... I'm still kicking myself in the face for somehow not seeing that thread until it was over ...

Wait - so did you get him to make you some WEVO PMAG's after we did the group purchase here? Is that what I'm reading?

Meh - I'm okay with not having WEVO on the left side. I'd just be happy if he'd be willing to deep laser engrave the logo at this point lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of folks have the collecting bug. Jay Leno's garage is my personal fantasy. In real life I kept one great vehicle (Land Cruiser) and sold the sports car.

With guns I like to have as many as I can stuff in my safe- revolvers, pistols, lever, pump, WW2, and a slew of ARs. There is plenty of room in the firearms community for those who want just one good tool with which to become uber proficient and those who see guns as also functional art. Can we agree to not denigrate either view? When neither extreme impinges on the other, snark and insult just looks petty. From my day -Different Strokes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    You pretty much touched on the issues I had with the VCOG.

Optic is very dim. When I find myself choosing a Accupoint or Vortex Viper due to overcast conditions that is an issue.

The illumination is very dim in daylight also.

And by far the biggest issue I had was the diopter was not consistent through out the zoom range. If the reticle was sharp at 6x it was unusable at 1x. Ultimately I set it at 3x and lived with the compromise. I would imagine that is a result of the eye relief being unchanged regardless of magnification.

I often found myself frustrated when using the optic and just took a loss and traded it on some other items at a LGS. I truly think their are better options for half the cost of the VCOG.
    Interesting. I did note some diopter shift. As you said made reasonable by setting on 3x. Seemed similar to leupold mk6. Inferior to kahles. Glass on all I looked through was bright. Picture quality at least the equal of mk6.

I will know better when mine arrives and I can mess with it some.

of note...ive heard of one user who had diopter shift with k16i. Others who have had none with vcog. I wonder why. I have no answer.

I will say when swfa employee adjusted vcog. It worked great. Me? No. Kahles. I adjusted fine. I think maybe different technique (focus reticle on 6X at clouds or on 1x on wall or...?) Might be required. I do know my eotech and g33 was a fun beast to get focused well!

Downloads
    Uploads

AR's Have You Reached Saturation?

Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion on how many firearms is sufficient. A lot of the people who tried to make a large payday after Sandy Hook are stuck with rifles that didn't sell, I know this cause I work with quite few guys who tried this. Cheaper than Dirt also tried to capitalize on other's misfortunes also.

There are some who want the most expensive rifle they can assemble. Then feed it the cheapest ammo they can find when they do shoot, which defeats the purpose of the nice barrel. It's like pumping 85 octane gas into a Ferrari. With all their money wrapped up in assembling this rifle they have little money for ammo, and the rifle is only as good as the one behind it.

Rob_S has a valid argument against the so-called whale jizz. Companies like KAC have phosphate coated BCG's with very extensive torture test. John Noveske also was a fan of mil-spec phosphate coatings as quoted from his Recoil interview. Also Rob_S's posting about whale jizz isn't new, he's posting about it for awhile.
    When Failzero came out with their NiB BCG I scoffed and went on shooting my phosphate colts. When Nitride starting picking up I took a little notice but still went on with my BCM's. It wasn't until I seen the Fathom that I broke away from my love Affair with standard phosphate MPI/HPT milspecs. Of my last 4 purchased BCG's please point out this mythical whale jizz I keep hearing.

And collecting without shooting? Crappy ammo?

I have targets within walking distance of my front door. Sure I'm not shooting mk262 to train with everyday, but who could? Don't know why there is this theory out there that if you have nice guns and builds then you couldn't possibly own working guns aswell or must not be a "real" shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    If you have the funds to both collect and go shoot, then power to you.
    Thanks I think we've hit the nail on the head with this comment here. Let's move back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DutyUse; 3 March 2015 at 02:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do my share of shooting. I don't get to go shooting as often as i'd like to, but i get out when i can. I've never had any formal training, but i'd love to attend some classes. My work schedule sucks, so that means i'm usually at work while these classes are going on. Competitive shooting is also something that interests me, but again, a shitty work schedule gets in the way of that as well.

I also do my share of collecting. I'll buy a gun, shoot the piss out of it, then buy something new. But instead of selling my previously new gun, i just keep it. I'm too lazy (especially now that I594 is in effect here) to play games trying to get a fair price selling it private party, and trade in value is usually something far below what i paid, so i keep it. And i'll eventually find my way back to it and shoot it again.

Above and beyond that, i like to tinker. I like to take my guns apart and learn their ins and outs and find out what makes them tick. Not just my ARs, but pistols, revolvers, shotguns, everything. I find working on my guns to be as enjoyable as shooting them. Maybe i'm just weird that way.

So, no. I haven't reached saturation yet. Maybe someday i will. I'd certainly have a lot more time and money on my hands.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Necroposting here...

I thought about the saturation this weekend after doing some inventory, and breaking down a couple of rifles. So 4+ years later, where do you guys sit on this? Any builds planned for the year?

Since this original post, my gears/interests have shifted tremendously. You guys still into the firearms and ARs as much as you were back then? Or even more so now?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Necroposting here...

I thought about the saturation this weekend after doing some inventory, and breaking down a couple of rifles. So 4+ years later, where do you guys sit on this? Any builds planned for the year?

Since this original post, my gears/interests have shifted tremendously. You guys still into the firearms and ARs as much as you were back then? Or even more so now?
    I was definitely late to the AR party. You guys walked me through my first one here. If cash were abundant I can say for sure that I am nowhere near 'done'.

Building an AR is one thing, but affording to feed all those mouths is another, and especially all that glass for optics makes it a longer journey for me. I definitely have champagne tastes.

I personally like the idea of walking through a build.

Not to mention I like things that go bang so I also definitely want firearms from other aspects of shooting as well. Bolt action, long range, benchrest, pistols, etc... I have a want list long enough to keep me broke for a very long time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Necroposting here...

I follow a USMC Scout/Sniper turned writer and one of his (many) verses that speaks to me is as follows:

“As I slumber in sand, I hear the near voice;
    ‘Put down your steel, old warrior, for short is the life left to live!’
    ‘I cannot’, I whispered, quiet and cold, desperate to survive, ‘My rifle is here to stay. Without it, I am nothing, for I know no other way.’”

I have other interests, but my main one, for the foreseeable future, is shooting (and everything that goes into it). I may not build a new rifle this year, but I already reconfigured one so much this year that the only things that carried over are the barrel and upper. But then again, who knows...I might build another one.

I’m trying to do more homestead type stuff this year and next, but I see my firearms as a part of that in a way...a well rounded level of preparedness, so to speak

Downloads
    Uploads
    Necroposting here...

I might buy or build another upper or two, but I've got too many AR's sitting in the safe, collecting dust.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm at 5.5 rifles with one that could be done today if I had the parts, and a lg. frame upper receiver that maybe needs to be part of a 6.5 Creedmoor upper for my sole large frame rifle to have some company. I haven't bought parts in weeks. Could it be summer? Could the desire be dying off? I just shot about 600 rounds last week, about 200 in plinking/screwing off and the other on drills, so maybe not. The great weather cries out to be outdoors and more and more, the AR assembling thing gets moved to poor weather days and or night-time activity.

I think I've gone about doing it the right way in terms of adding calibers that I actively use, vs. sitting in a safe. I look at a new caliber as another mouth to feed in that I don't reload d/t time, and accessibility of ammo at this time. That might change, but I'm still not sure I would keep up with reloading enough to make it pay for itself.

I want to add something in the .224 Valkyrie echelon for smallies and like I said, something similar for large frame, but I doubt I'll do any more than that. Curiously, I have no factory-built rifles in the AR genre; I have invested heavily in tools and software (including go-no-go gauges) in order to avoid the "Kitchen table gunsmith" but beyond learning, I see no value in store-bought. I am not saying I wouldn't build an addition to my house should I ever acquire the means to own a Mk 110 Mod 0 SASS kit! There are several that I'd like to have, and after some glass purchases, I might just go after them, however I would really like to build-up my own ACR!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only lowers I’ve bought in the last 4 years are in .308 and 6.8SPC. I have broken down a couple uppers For a match SS barrel and a lightweight build. Still have a couple more stripped lowers and uppers for who knows what. Optics and suppressors are my big weakness.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, thanks to my recent purchases in preparation for today (WA I-1639 implementation), I am now saturated. But that does include a few stripped lowers in case I change my mind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    The only lowers I’ve bought in the last 4 years are in .308 and 6.8SPC. I have broken down a couple uppers For a match SS barrel and a lightweight build. Still have a couple more stripped lowers and uppers for who knows what. Optics and suppressors are my big weakness.
    Yep,,,,,

Hey, if I want to build a 7.8 Lapua, would my .308 lower stand up to the abuse of the bigger round?

Thanks, UD.,

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 2 July 2019 at 01:24.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m unsaturated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At my age, I'm probably over-saturated. Sitting on twelve complete, and one built lower. All I'm doing is building stuff for my grandkids. I may build an upper for the Heritage lower, just don't know what it would be. I have an assortment of calibers and barrel lengths. So, it will probably sit on the shelf for awhile. Besides, thirteen is an unlucky number. If I complete it, I would have to do another, just because ...
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"