Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve been downsizing my AR collection and focused on a few great builds vs a dozen budget builds. I have been more interested in other semi’s that aren’t ar’s. I’ve also gone half commie and got into the AK game.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Necroposting here...

I thought about the saturation this weekend after doing some inventory, and breaking down a couple of rifles. So 4+ years later, where do you guys sit on this? Any builds planned for the year?

Since this original post, my gears/interests have shifted tremendously. You guys still into the firearms and ARs as much as you were back then? Or even more so now?
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just need a new hobby. I don’t have a lot of AR’s by WEVO standards, but two 16” guns, a short folding .300 pistol, and my wife’s AR really are plenty. I keep musing about doing another just to have something to do, but that’s not a good reason. A suppressor and some nicer glass ought to have me about where I want/need to be.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    I’ve been downsizing my AR collection and focused on a few great builds vs a dozen budget builds. I have been more interested in other semi’s that aren’t ar’s. I’ve also gone half commie and got into the AK game.
    Sooo....getting rid of the Mk12?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've downscaled to just one rifle. I got over BRD a long time ago when I realized I didn't have the wallet to play with the big boys. Also, I have a friend who fell into that trap of building a bunch of cheap AR's from Palmetto parts, just because he could afford it buying parts through them, and I kept asking myself why he didn't just save up and buy 1-2 AR's he could be proud of instead of 5-6 made out of the cheapest parts he could get. In the end, I can only shoot one gun at a time, and I'm not trying to build an arsenal to arm the whole neighborhood with, so I have a hard time justifying it. I got a S&W MP Sport II that I've done a couple of things to that I could do myself without special tools. Other than that, i'm buying mags and ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeky73 View Post
    I've downscaled to just one rifle. I got over BRD a long time ago when I realized I didn't have the wallet to play with the big boys. Also, I have a friend who fell into that trap of building a bunch of cheap AR's from Palmetto parts, just because he could afford it buying parts through them, and I kept asking myself why he didn't just save up and buy 1-2 AR's he could be proud of instead of 5-6 made out of the cheapest parts he could get. In the end, I can only shoot one gun at a time, and I'm not trying to build an arsenal to arm the whole neighborhood with, so I have a hard time justifying it. I got a S&W MP Sport II that I've done a couple of things to that I could do myself without special tools. Other than that, i'm buying mags and ammo.
    I would have one back up rifle. A catastrophic failure and all those mags and ammunition becomes useless. Otherwise I like your train of thought

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fear the man with one rifle, for he knows how to use it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I would have one back up rifle. A catastrophic failure and all those mags and ammunition becomes useless. Otherwise I like your train of thought
    I'm with you, probably do 3 rifles though. If someone stole all my rifles tomorrow, I'd probably just replace them with 3.

2 SR15's setup exactly the same, Aimpoint M5's or T2's, Scout lights, BFG Slings, ect.

1 10.3 CQBR, because I need a shorty.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That’s an interesting thought experiment: If all your rifles were stolen, how would you replace them.

I think all our knowledge and preferences have matured over time.

That’s another reason the AR market has slowed and interest waned. It’s the same stuff with a new marketing angle or gimmick attached. If we all just grabbed three top tier rifles and called it good the market would be only be competing with small replacement parts, a few accessories, reloading and training.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    you are probably right. And even buying complete rifles is so cheap these days, it's hard to justify not having one. It could even be one identical to my current one or snatch up the Ruger entry level AR....not that any of these rifles are perfect, but I can't tell you how glad I am that the market moved away from requiring at least $1k to get a rifle you could trust.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A rifle you can trust is a subjective phrase that depends on who it is.

If I was in Afghanistan or if I was a police officer my requirements are way different.

Trust to hold up under what circumstances?

I would think getting a more expensive rifle is still not a luxury for many people.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    A rifle you can trust is a subjective phrase that depends on who it is.

If I was in Afghanistan or if I was a police officer my requirements are way different.

Trust to hold up under what circumstances?

I would think getting a more expensive rifle is still not a luxury for many people.
    The operative term is “you.”

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    This is definitely true. That was my point.

If I was carrying a gun for a living both figurative and literally speaking I would have a lot of nice stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post

If I was a carpenter I would probably splurge on the more expensive hammer that had an ergonomic grip to it as well.

Would a cheap hand me down hammer drive nails? Probably, but if I put the same cheap hammer under commercial use it might not last for long.

It all depends on the "you" part.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If I was a carpenter I would probably splurge on the more expensive hammer that had an ergonomic grip to it as well.

Would a cheap hand me down hammer drive nails? Probably, but if I put the same cheap hammer under commercial use it might not last for long.

It all depends on the "you" part.
    I get what you guys are saying. No, it probably wouldn't be a major stretch to save up a little more than double the price of the two guns I mentioned, and get one Daniel Defense or BCM setup. And no doubt, the level of trust would rise. However, I would say that the two rifles I mentioned have been pretty well tested (I am aware that I can't solely rely on Mr Gunsngear or Sootch for all my information, I get it) and they seemed to perform well. Were they dropped out of a Blackhawk? No...but in reality I cannot afford to set up even a single gun in some kind of SEAL rig, so all I can do is all I can do. Besides, I think in these cheaper guns, doing a simple upgrade like swapping to a more mil-spec or NiB bcg probably goes a long way towards solving some of the reliability issues you might have. I intend to put a Sharp's bcg in there at some point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say for the majority of us paper/dirt weekend shooters a sub 1k rifle is fine. Obviously, inspect the usual parts, then shoot enough rounds down range with it so you know what you're getting.

You can get a lot of top tier gun for 1k these days. Like a complete BCM that would cover 99.9% of us.