Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul Obtains Judgment against Elite Tactical Systems in Patent Infringement Suit

Link

Magpul Obtains Judgment against Elite Tactical Systems in Patent Infringement Suit

February 25, 2015 — Magpul Industries Corp. announced today that it has concluded its patent infringement lawsuit against Elite Tactical Systems Group (E.T.S.), with the Court entering a judgment that E.T.S. infringed four Magpul patents—U.S. Patent Nos. 8,069,601, 8,635,796, 8,839,543, and 8,166,692. The Court ordered E.T.S. to immediately stop making, using, offering for sale, and selling its infringing magazines for AR-15/M16 rifles and carbines and its Rapid Recognition Follower. In addition, the Court ordered E.T.S. to destroy or permanently modify the molds used to manufacture the accused products. Lastly, the Court ordered E.T.S. to pay Magpul monetary damages.

This resolution of the E.T.S. suit was the lastest in a series of enforcement initiatives that Magpul started in 2013 against ProMag Industries, Cole Industries, Plinker Tactical, and Big Rock Sports (doing business as Swamp Fox) for offering for sale, selling, and distributing magazines for AR15/M16 compatible weapons that were alleged to be in violation of Magpul’s patents. ProMag, Cole Industries, and Big Rock Sports all settled their disputes with Magpul on confidential and mutually agreeable terms. The District Court entered a judgment against Plinker Tactical, finding that Plinker infringed Magpul’s patents and awarding damages.

Magpul notes that in every instance where it has taken legal action against another magazine manufacturer, the product in question is now either no longer in production or is no longer produced with the features that prompted Magpul’s lawsuit.

About Magpul

Founded in 1999, Magpul was launched with the intent of developing innovative devices to aid in the manipulation of rifle magazines while reloading under stress. The company’s name comes from this original product called the Magpul®. Over the last decade Magpul has continued to grow and develop using much the same mission and process with a focus on innovation, creativity, and efficiency.

www.magpul.com

Media Contact:

Duane Liptak, Jr.

Director of Product Management and Marketing

dliptak@magpul.com

303.828.3460 x170

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well that's frustrating. I understand Magpul protecting their intellectual property, but now I wish I had purchased more ETS mags. They worked great and the material used appeared to be stronger than Magpul's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was curious, so i wanted to look up the patents and see just how watertight this ducks ass is

http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/8069601

http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/86...t=true&sr=true

http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/88...t=true&sr=true

http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/81...t=true&sr=true

Sounds like polymer magazine manufacturers better be doing their research before going to market

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ouch.....

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That sucks! Hopefully ETS comes out hard with their Glock mags.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On arfcom, ETS stated they changed the design and settled with Magpul. They are continuing to make magazines. I'm wondering if Magpul is just doing this for PR to put the bug in the consumers ear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yikes. I hope they do have their ducks in a row for the glock mags since both companies are now making them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    best way to stay in the game is to
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where'd you copy and paste that from luis?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    On arfcom, ETS stated they changed the design and settled with Magpul. They are continuing to make magazines. I'm wondering if Magpul is just doing this for PR to put the bug in the consumers ear.
    I got really worried for a second. Glad to hear this though.

Sucks either way.

I guess that means that the ones we all have now are limited edition? lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Money talks. Those patents are so loosely written anyone with enough money could tear them apart in court. But just like suing the Feds over taxes, you can not compete in court with entities that spend more on toner than your companies' entire net worth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Coming from a career in the pharmaceutical industry, I fully understand the motivation to apply for and protect patents. And I generally approve of the way Magpul handles itself as a company, especially with respect to the whole Colorado standard capacity magazine fiasco. Their tight-lipped approach to relocation timeframes was a bit of a PR mistake, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

All that said, I'm sad to see such a legal burden placed on a small company like ETS when they are producing a product with some really innovative features. Heck, I'm now even inclined to see just how good ETS' products are (oops, there's another Magpul PR backfire right there.....)

In the [otherforum] post that UW references, ETS said that simply removing the rear leg from the follower settles the suit without affecting follower stability. I hope their follower really is that rigid. But does that really address the full breadth of infringement across the 4 patents referenced in the suit? I'm rooting for ETS here (despite my appreciation of Magpul's products) - but I wonder if this is really the last we'll hear of this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    internet
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    LMAO

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hahaha! This was my exact thought when I read it.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.