Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    What would you consider instead of the MK6?
    The NF 1-8 ATACR is amazing.
    This?

On a more serious note, my problem is that I haven't found a better option. The Vortex HD is too heavy for a SFP scope and I'd prefer to have half-mil marks, but the dot is great. The Trijicon, now that I've managed to look through a couple, just doesn't seem to do anything well, but for the money is a decent value, I guess. A NF 2.5-10x24 isn't FFP and needs an off-set dot (for my needs). Kahles, see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I'm sure it's in this thread or the one on m4c, but what's wrong with the Kahles 1-6? Was it the reticle? Honest question, since I am shopping right now.
    For me (and I know I'm particular), it was the reticle. In a perfect world, I want FFP (more so on a 8 or 10x), reasonable weight, bright red dot, and half mil marks to at least 6 mils for elevation (it might be 8, but I don't have my phone near me to check my DOPE). But again, I know I have particular needs. At the end of the day, my MK6 has been a very decent 90% solution, especially on a Mini-Recce.

I will attempt to own one for every single rifle in my possession. Yes, I've had skin-to-skin contact with it.
    Jealous. NDA? If so, I understand, but I've had several very specific questions that, obviously, have gone unanswered. If there's a red dot is top among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    The NF is a long ways off.
    This makes me sad face. Why did you crush my dreams? Now I need to figure out if I "replace" my MK6 with the NF 2.5-10x24 I have sitting in a box, or live with the MK6. The good news is I cashed in on Larue's deal last week, so at least I have mounts ready.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

This makes me sad face. Why did you crush my dreams? Now I need to figure out if I "replace" my MK6 with the NF 2.5-10x24 I have sitting in a box, or live with the MK6. The good news is I cashed in on Larue's deal last week, so at least I have mounts ready.
    After SHOT 2018

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    After SHOT 2018
    Oh, that's not too bad. But then again, I heard the same for SHOT 2016, so meh.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Oh, that's not too bad. But then again, I heard the same for SHOT 2016, so meh.
    I will say, I know guys how T&E'ed it, or claimed to, in late 2014. Remember S&B's DFP 1-8 ? Meh. I hope it's soon, but I worry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A few weeks ago I finally watched Garand Thumb's MK6 video and found it interesting to revisit the optic. For some time, my MK6 has been sitting in its mount on top of my safe looking for love. I was debating replacing the old ACOG NSN I have on my SR15, but that rifle is with my parents, so getting to it wasn't going to happen any time soon. After watching the video, I had a few reactions.

- It seems like, on some areas, he's shooting a different optic than I have
    - Maybe I should give it another shot just as something different to do
    - This would be interesting, since I put it back in a 1.5" mount instead of a 1.93" mount.

So, I decided to mount the whole setup back on my old N4 upper. I figured this was a good test-bed, and I've used it for other LPVOs. It's still very accurate (see below), fairly lightweight, and wasn't currently wearing anything other than a PRO RDS. So, after installation, it was time to rezero.

Warning: this isn't specific to the MK6, but it was interesting to see what I was able to achieve with "just" a 1-6 and a CL barrel. Mr. Noveske and company sure made some great barrels.

I decided to zero with CBC 77gr. I hadn't had the best luck with it previously, but not sure I tried it with this upper. The results were impressive, at least to me. I know there are many here that are better group shooters than me.

(ignore the upper left hole, that was from zeroing on another section of the target)

The big-ass dot in the middle of the reticle, coupled with the donut, don't make it easy to shoot a group, but I've covered that before. Not the point of the optic, so it is what it is.

Today I wanted to run some simple CQB distance, simple drills with transitions. I had two targets at different distances and at about a 60 degree angle from me. Due to some initial gassing issues with the first ammo (Silver Bear didn't have enough juice for the upper), I ran two different variations of strings on the two targets (plus a pistol transition to steel) for a total of 40 rounds. The MK6 is probably closer to the NF NXS 1-8 for comparison, so I'll mention it below, but for comparison, I'll mention the ATACR, as well.

Here are some takeaways:

- The lower head position was trainable. The bigger issue was eye box, but that was mostly okay. Out of the 10 dedicated strings I did, I only wandered out of the eye box twice, and not for all of the shots. Where the NX8 shines is when you wonder out of the eye box, you still see the dot. The ATACR, less so, but there's still a glow (and a MUCH larger eye box). The MK6...there is no dot.

- When the MK6 came out, other than the Razor HD, it was really the only other LPVO that had a daylight visible red dot in that price range (I'm not including the Elcan, which is also very bright). Today, at the highest setting on a post-rain, mostly cloudy day, it wasn't all that bright. I changed out the battery thinking that might be the issue, but no real change. It's still usable, but pales (see what I did there) to the NXS 1-8 and was still slightly dimmer than the ATACR, which isn't as bright as the NXS.

- Dot flicker...it still happens, but I went into this with an open mind and tried to not think about it. I think that helped. Yes, the dot would disappear at times, but using the "tunneling" of the reticle was still effective. Much like how many use the circle of the Eotech. I don't have comparative data at the moment to back this up, but it felt like I was slower with the MK6 while maintaining the same level of accuracy that I strive for. I'm not a fan of the 3-gun, "if it's on paper, it's a hit," type of scoring. That makes me slower than a lot of gamers (and that's okay). But I try to push myself for speed while maintaining A-zone hits. Compared to the ATACR or NX8, it feels like I could be fast with the MK6 with less accuracy, or slower with the same standard of accuracy. Obviously lots of variables there.

- Effectiveness...other than the .1-.2s slowdown (at times), it worked well. Coupled with a cheap, used T1 off-set, it seems like this optic could still be very useful. Eye box to eye box, I'd probably prefer the NX8, due to a brighter dot, but I may hang on to the MK6 a little longer and continue to play with it.

In the end, it's all fun and games anyway, but it was fun to play with the setup and I'll continue to do so. Pic of the current setup:

(Standard of accuracy for me is 25m and in, all shots must fall into the thick black circle. I make marks for those that fall out of the gray for trend analysis)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who cares about Leupold shit anyways..
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 18 June 2019 at 03:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you're confused.

The grouping picture is prone at 100y. Let's call it ~1.5 MOA edge to edge. The target/rifle picture is some intermediate distance less than 25m on a timer (with some pistol shots, as well). The second picture has nothing to do with accuracy or grouping, just a picture of the rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah the target on the blue silhouette (2nd photo) I figured was used for speed drills, not 100yd groupings. I think there’s some confusion going on lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I figured that would be obvious, but I guess not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I figured that would be obvious, but I guess not.
    Damn, Gator, by the time you get through testing that thing, it'll be in the discount bin at a LGS near you....
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was a simple question...jeez

Carry on with your flickering $1k plus optic....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Damn, Gator, by the time you get through testing that thing, it'll be in the discount bin at a LGS near you....
    I agree. Time to let it go. Hopefully someone will buy it and I can try something else.

I've running it some more on my 416 with a little precision work and some closer in stuff. It's still a nice optic, and the picture really is clear. With the slight "riser" of the receiver on the 416, it's a good height when standing and just slightly uncomfortable when prone. My last few sessions with it have made me appreciate it a bit more than I originally did, but I'd like to move on. We'll see if the market will allow that. If not, I'll keep shooting it!