Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    Thanks for the info. We still need to try to make it out to the range sometime. This barrel is a very good deal, but I will probably get one based on budget. Ballistic Advantage is giving away a barrel sometime next week. If I'm able to continue my winning ways, I get to choose any 16 inch barrel that they make. They have two 16" Hanson profile barrels. One is stainless steel and chambered in 223 Wylde. The other is a melanite treated barrel in and 556. My preference is to buy a BCM or DD CHF barrel. My budget may put me in the Ballistic Advantage barrel arena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL... counting on winning to obtain product.

I love it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. We still need to try to make it out to the range sometime. This barrel is a very good deal, but I will probably get one based on budget. Ballistic Advantage is giving away a barrel sometime next week. If I'm able to continue my winning ways, I get to choose any 16 inch barrel that they make. They have two 16" Hanson profile barrels. One is stainless steel and chambered in 223 Wylde. The other is a melanite treated barrel in and 556. My preference is to buy a BCM or DD CHF barrel. My budget may put me in the Ballistic Advantage barrel arena.
    I am ready to go when you are. It's only half an hour... but after this weekend the time will change so then it becomes much easier to arrange stuff. Seriously, I am not by any means an expert nor do I have the amount of experience as Uwone but I will tell you that for a general purpose rifle you can go overboard with the barrel. If you are going stainless steel I wouldn't even hesitate to buy the Rainier Select Medcon. It will be MORE than enough. After learning a lot on this Rainier has the best all around package by far.

BUT if you want to shoot a general AR and aren't going to fawn over what kind of ammo to get... just get a general purpose barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am definitely looking forward to the time change. I will look for an opportunity to try to meet up with you. You have a lot more knowledge than I do. I've gotten several good bits of advice from UWone77 and others.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am definitely looking forward to the time change. I will look for an opportunity to try to meet up with you. You have a lot more knowledge than I do. I've gotten several good bits of advice from UWone77 and others.
    I've learned a lot from him and Stickman both. There are several members here who gave very solid advice.

I have heard a lot of bull from a lot of people but the trick is knowing who is telling you bull and who isn't.

The only reason I know anything is because I went completely nerd on this and have asked a lot of questions.

I would say before you buy a barrel decide what you want your gun to do. What kind of optic? What kind of sights? What do you want it to be? Define the rifle you want. Are you or are you not going to shoot match grade ammo?

For me after buying a pretty bad ass barrel and experimenting with it a lot and putting forth that effort to really know and learn... I can say that I don't know everything but my eyes are sort of opened up a lot more than they were.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Are you or are you not going to shoot match grade ammo?
    I will even go out on a limb and say that if you are not going to invest in match grade ammo at some point or even for occasional shooting then (unless you are getting a REALLY good deal) you will never see the benefits of a 'match' or even a 'great' (but not match) barrel. If you are going to be shooting the cheapest stuff you can find ammo wise then barrel choice needs to somewhat correspond to what you will be shooting.

But if you get some enjoyment from hitting a dime at 100 yards then your optic needs to able to do that and you will need good ammo as well as good barrel. Take any one of those three out and you're not getting there.

So now, how do you want your AR to be set up? (at least in theory)... think about it....

EDIT: And if you want a really accurate rifle... I haven't even gotten to triggers yet...

But again, if you are not going to be shooting for groups (by groups I mean like small groups at a distance) then don't go overboard on the barrel.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 5 March 2015 at 20:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm with you there. If you're just going to shoot bulk ball ammo, don't complain your match barrel doesn't shoot sub-MOA.

Most guys like me are looking to shoot minute of man, which is why I still prefer chrome lined barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm with you there. If you're just going to shoot bulk ball ammo, don't complain your match barrel doesn't shoot sub-MOA.

Most guys like me are looking to shoot minute of man, which is why I still prefer chrome lined barrels.
    Same here. Using bulk ball ammo in a match barrel defeats the purpose of a match grade barrel. Like I've said before, it's like pumping 85 octane gas into a Ferrari. For me if your gonna use bulk ball ammo get a chrome lined barrel.

Don't listen to me though. I'm assembling a SBR with a match barrel to shoot bulk ball ammo. Now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thinking "minute of man" CHF barrel is where I'm headed. If I can get the funds. If I am having trouble getting enough money for a barrel, you can see I won't have a lot of money for match ammo. The BA Hanson barrel is my current choice if I can't get a CHF BCM or DD. I would eventually like to get a bolt action rifle for the precision stuff. All in good time. :-)
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Same here. Using bulk ball ammo in a match barrel defeats the purpose of a match grade barrel. Like I've said before, it's like pumping 85 octane gas into a Ferrari. For me if your gonna use bulk ball ammo get a chrome lined barrel.

Don't listen to me though. I'm assembling a SBR with a match barrel to shoot bulk ball ammo. Now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense.
    I need a trust fund... ;-)
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

OK so realistically with ball ammo @ 100 yards what kind of 'group' would you get with a general CHF chrome lined barrel? Lets just say a Rainier Mountain for example's sake... or if you prefer another one tell us what it is and what you can do with it?

But like I have kind of had my own light bulb moment... if you're just ringing the gongs with cheap ammo then that can easily be done out to 200 yards with most off the shelf AR's. This is part of the reason why I have been having threads and conversations about optics so much. The pairings matter. Cheap ammo? OK fine. Get a barrel to match. Now throw in optics... if you have a 10X scope you will have a nice view of a group that would make a bench guy cry. But throw a red dot on there and you can pick up tons of agility. Those red dots or the holographic sights are not designed to be tack drivers. All these pairings of different things matter.

I wouldn't use the term 'compatability' but rather 'effective pairings'...as I think about designing AR's and getting new ideas that is what is in my brain all the time. The effective pairings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bro get a chf barrel. You'll never regret it. I've sold my BA barrel. Wasn't bad... But I like known qualities. You shoulda got that colt barrel UW had..

If your short a lil cash to step up to one pm me and I'll try and help you out

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have heard claims of sub-MOA with CHF barrels. I have also read reports of 1-2" groups. "Effective pairings" sounds right to me, but I will be more interested in what knowledgable WEVO vets say than what I think.
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on your setup. BUT...

If you're using 4 MOA Ammo like M855, out of a CHF barrel which may yield 1.5-4 MOA, while using a 2 or 4 MOA dot on your optic... 1-2" Groups will be pretty tough.

Like I said, it depends on your equipment, skills, and ammo. Some bulk ammo shoots better than others.

2-3" Groups in my opinion are acceptable for a CHF Barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Bro get a chf barrel. You'll never regret it. I've sold my BA barrel. Wasn't bad... But I like known qualities. You shoulda got that colt barrel UW had..

If your short a lil cash to step up to one pm me and I'll try and help you out

Thanks a lot. That's very kind of you. I'm trying to sell some stuff right now. I saw a guy selling a barely used Centurion Arms barrel in the classified section. I would give that a hard look if the funds were already there. I would definitely prefer a CHF barrel. I'm selling an extra rail I won. I am trying to sell it locally and I just listed it in the WEVO classifieds. I am also selling some guitar related items. I going to put the guitar items on eBay this weekend. (Pedal and pickups.). I really appreciate the offer.
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads

16" Rainier Arms Match Barrel (Rock Creek Blanks)

I have heard claims of sub-MOA with CHF barrels. I have also read reports of 1-2" groups. "Effective pairings" sounds right to me, but I will be more interested in what knowledgable WEVO vets say than what I think.
    Depends on shooter and ammo. I'm not a bench rest guy so supreme accuracy isn't a concern. I'd say right at 2 is achievable by most guys. However each barrel is an individual and prefers certain loads. I've heard a lot of guys smarter then me on the subject claim Chf is 1.2-1.5 all day if you really spent the time to work up a pet load