Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help with BCG selection

I'm sure this has been covered quite a few times, but maybe a new thread can help some others as well as myself. Plan on picking up a BCG in the next couple/few weeks as the last purchase for my build. Just wanted to get some opinions on a couple things from you guys, as I know that ya'll have more experience with different brands and types of BCG's.

So I am trying to find a fair balance between cost and quality first of all. There are a ton of options out there, so what do you think are some good manufacturers to make a shortlist out of without breaking the wallet?

secondly, compared to most of you guys I will be a light to moderate shooter, so is the NiB worth the extra expense for me? I dont mind shelling out a few more bucks at all, but no point in doing so if it would be considered a waste.

thanks for ya'll's help on pointing me in the right direction, and any further considerations you think I should add to these two questions will be welcomed as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BCM is always my first choice. 2nd is the UCWRG premium BCG.

Downloads
    Uploads

Help with BCG selection

FN, CMT, Colt, DD & LMT originally produced BCGs are all gtg.

I've never had the chance to run NiB personally as quality Phosphate BCGs have served me well and have a proven track record.. However I want to get my hands on RA nickel boron at some point.

Currently running a Fathom Arms enhanced nitride BCG in one upper and really liking it.

Like Okdonk said before me, can't go wrong on a BCM..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DutyUse; 6 March 2015 at 01:28.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got one NiB coated BCG and the only advantage it has over a phosphate coated one is that it cleans easier. The NiB does not hold lube in place as well as my phosphate coated BCG's. They say the NiB needs less lube, but I like to lube my BCG's to death. So if paying more for less cleaning is worth it is your call.

I love BCM, but think their BCG's are over priced. Not saying that the BCM BCG's are not good, but other good BCG's can be had for less. CMT makes a good BCG. I know they used to make Noveske's, not sure if they still do.

Aim Surplus has very well priced BCG's. I've never used one of theirs though, but they get good reviews. If you're wanting a BCM though I believe that Rainier Arms has the best price $169.

http://www.rainierarms.com/bcm-bolt-...roup-full-auto
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my opinion, you have to decide if you are comfortable paying a premium for a BCG that you KNOW is top quality (and risk paying more than you really needed to) or if you are comfortable saving some money and getting a BCG that is probably high quality and will meet your needs just as well, but leaves you with a bit of doubt as the product is less well known.

If I just wanted to pay once and never look back, then I agree that the BCM is safe bet. I'd also put Daniel Defense, Colt and LMT in that category (I'd probably purchase the DD, personally). My SHTF carbine is LMT.

Now, if this is a fun gun and you're not likely to be trusting your life to its reliability and money is tight, then you have a few other options. I think the v2 nitride from AIM looks like a smoking deal: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...up&groupid=723

If you are patient, Rainier typically runs specials on their BCGs once or twice a year (I picked one up for $99 about a year ago)

And the Palmetto Premium series should be just fine (stick with their Premium line) http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4453/

Also, I think some of the members here can vouch for the Ares Armor BCGs: http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/nick..._carrier_group

And I wouldn't lose any sleep running an AeroPrecision BCG but wouldn't pay list price (they run sales frequently...I'd say it's attractive at $100): http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/sto...il.aspx?pid=74

All my BCG's are phosphate but my next purchase will be a nitride treated BCG. I've come to the conclusion (opinion) that this is superior to NiB and expect it to improve the durability of the BCG as well as make it easier to clean. My next BCG purchase will likely be the VooDoo with integral gas key and nitride ("LifeCoat") treatment, but I'm also putting it in a rifle that will be a range and perhaps a hunting rifle.

If you do go with a lower cost option, just compare the specs to the BCM/DD/Colt BCGs of the world. Several of the lower cost options are to the same specs and the cost difference is driven in part by the QC process (random spot checks instead of individual inspections). Of course, some of the difference is driven by brand.

At the end of the day, it's a value judgement and those are different for each of us which is why the market can support so many suppliers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check out Fathom Arms enhanced BCG, I was very impressed and as you will read in other threads about the customer service.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am far from an expert in this area but I am using a rainier arms phosphate BCG. I have had zero problems with it. I know people say Nib is easier to clean and that might be true to some extent. But if you use modern cleaning stuff like Seal1, Froglube, or a few others it is just better in my opinion. This is an outside variable but a very important one.

Mine actually repels carbon and can be wiped off with a paper towel after use. If you use traditional cleaning methods then a NiB might have some minor advantages. If you use the new stuff you can use whatever you want in the way of BCG.

My main suggestions would be to buy something from a reputable manufacturer as well as something with a total bad ass look to it. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a couple Fail Zero bcgs that seem pretty good so far.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If price is a concern, AIM surplus BDG BCG all the way. I have the NIB and NIB-X versions and love them. Phosphate is $85 I think. Great price for a no frills, do its job bcg.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I love BCM, but think their BCG's are over priced. Not saying that the BCM BCG's are not good, but other good BCG's can be had for less. CMT makes a good BCG. I know they used to make Noveske's, not sure if they still do.
    Well... overpriced compared to what though?

How many others are actually selling milspec carrier with C158 Bolts that are HPT/MPI'ed?

I see a lot of others selling 9310 bolts, cutting corners here and there, and because of this market we're in, everyone is undercutting each other to the $79.99 BCG. Heck, a couple of dealers got 8620 bolts dumped on them without their knowledge and they disintegrated after 20 rounds.

As always, your budget determines your gear. BCG's I like:

BCM
    LMT
    DD
    Rainier

I also like the looks of Fathom's new Nitride standard BCG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

How many others are actually selling milspec carrier with C158 Bolts that are HPT/MPI'ed?

I see a lot of others selling 9310 bolts, cutting corners here and there, and because of this market we're in, everyone is undercutting each other to the $79.99 BCG. Heck, a couple of dealers got 8620 bolts dumped on them without their knowledge and they disintegrated after 20 rounds.
    I don't know a lot of specific brands, or how much of the price is really 'brand' and how much is really 'product' but at the end of the day it's better to err on the side of quality. The proverbial extra 20 or 30 bucks will in the end be worth the wait.

It scares me more to get a piece of crap than it does to pay extra for someone to stand behind what they sell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

I think BCM BCG's are great quality, but I've had very similar BCG's for less. My opinion is based on what you can get CMT/Stag BCG's for. The ones I've had have been under $120 and are milspec. Noveske bolts may not be HPT but I've seen them between $140 and $150 lately. I just remember paying a lot less for the BCM BCG's I've had.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember when complete BCGs were $120 from Bravo Company. I miss those days.

I find it very difficult to take recommendations from anyone on bolts, as it's usually too small of a sample size and/or too low of a round count. I'd only trust my money to Colt or BCM, as there are tons of them in circulation, and enough examples of high round counts to show reliability and quality. An extra $50 to know it's made properly is hardly anything in the grand scheme of ammunition costs. Besides the barrel, there's really nothing else more important for proper functioning on the rifle.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    An extra $50 to know it's made properly is hardly anything in the grand scheme of ammunition costs. Besides the barrel, there's really nothing else more important for proper functioning on the rifle.
    For such a vital part I am with you. For the 'extra' cost equivalent to a small box of 100 rounds of ammo at bought at Wal Mart you can have a guaranteed quality part. Save money? Maybe or maybe not. Your chances are 50/50 if you save or don't save.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I remember when complete BCGs were $120 from Bravo Company. I miss those days.
    I wish I could roll the clock back and get one of the now long discontinued BCM ionbond BCGs.. Oh well live and learn. Back then I remember thinking pay 30$ more?!?!? Haha..

I think some guys get a little wrapped around the axel about BCG's and then get some cheap barrel. Yes there a critical component. But If you just plinkin at some cans and NOT going to consider it for home defense, whatever you get 99.9% chance it'll be a-ok.

However if your counting on it to protect you and the ones you love. For gods sake yes spend the few extra bucks... Get a phosphate as your first. Another rifle later go nuts. But stick with a proven design.

I'd like to try NiB but not because of the cleaning aspect. Dunno why people dread cleaning their rifles? You learn a lot about how it operates and it's current condition and I personally enjoy it.

Also remember in the long run the cost of the rifle will pale in comparison to how much it costs to feed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk