Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not said that the BCM BCG is a bad product, but that other very good quality BCG's can be had for less. Continental Machine and Tool makes very good BCG's without cutting any corners. They manufacture components for many companies including Colt and Noveske. My only complaint of BCM's BCG is the price. The price went up after the Sandy Hook shooting, and the only price drop has been the removal of the NRA contribution.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. BCM BCG's should be around $160 again and they would be a legitimate "best" option. I only run BCM BCG's, but I do not like paying that much.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I've got one NiB coated BCG and the only advantage it has over a phosphate coated one is that it cleans easier. The NiB does not hold lube in place as well as my phosphate coated BCG's. They say the NiB needs less lube, but I like to lube my BCG's to death. So if paying more for less cleaning is worth it is your call.

I love BCM, but think their BCG's are over priced. Not saying that the BCM BCG's are not good, but other good BCG's can be had for less. CMT makes a good BCG. I know they used to make Noveske's, not sure if they still do.

Aim Surplus has very well priced BCG's. I've never used one of theirs though, but they get good reviews. If you're wanting a BCM though I believe that Rainier Arms has the best price $169.

http://www.rainierarms.com/bcm-bolt-...roup-full-auto
    yeah, I have a few options bookmarked in my browser, and CMT is one of em

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not to offend anyone but the current AR market follows trends. About everyone on every forum says to buy BCM's BCG, but when you look at the rifles they have assembled not many have a BCM BCG. Most now feature a nitride BCG. So do people believe that nitride is superior to phosphate? I've not used a nitride BCG so I can't answer that question.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    In my opinion, you have to decide if you are comfortable paying a premium for a BCG that you KNOW is top quality (and risk paying more than you really needed to) or if you are comfortable saving some money and getting a BCG that is probably high quality and will meet your needs just as well, but leaves you with a bit of doubt as the product is less well known.

If I just wanted to pay once and never look back, then I agree that the BCM is safe bet. I'd also put Daniel Defense, Colt and LMT in that category (I'd probably purchase the DD, personally). My SHTF carbine is LMT.

Now, if this is a fun gun and you're not likely to be trusting your life to its reliability and money is tight, then you have a few other options. I think the v2 nitride from AIM looks like a smoking deal: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...up&groupid=723

If you are patient, Rainier typically runs specials on their BCGs once or twice a year (I picked one up for $99 about a year ago)

And the Palmetto Premium series should be just fine (stick with their Premium line) http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4453/

Also, I think some of the members here can vouch for the Ares Armor BCGs: http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/nick..._carrier_group

And I wouldn't lose any sleep running an AeroPrecision BCG but wouldn't pay list price (they run sales frequently...I'd say it's attractive at $100): http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/sto...il.aspx?pid=74

All my BCG's are phosphate but my next purchase will be a nitride treated BCG. I've come to the conclusion (opinion) that this is superior to NiB and expect it to improve the durability of the BCG as well as make it easier to clean. My next BCG purchase will likely be the VooDoo with integral gas key and nitride ("LifeCoat") treatment, but I'm also putting it in a rifle that will be a range and perhaps a hunting rifle.

If you do go with a lower cost option, just compare the specs to the BCM/DD/Colt BCGs of the world. Several of the lower cost options are to the same specs and the cost difference is driven in part by the QC process (random spot checks instead of individual inspections). Of course, some of the difference is driven by brand.

At the end of the day, it's a value judgement and those are different for each of us which is why the market can support so many suppliers.
    Well, I'm not trying to go bottom dollar and expect the best thing on the market. I dont mind to pay for a good BCG, I'm just looking at balancing the cost and quality versus paying for a name. I've been expecting to put out around 150, which should put me well within the ballpark of quite a few decent manfacturers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to clutter up your thread Rob.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am far from an expert in this area but I am using a rainier arms phosphate BCG. I have had zero problems with it. I know people say Nib is easier to clean and that might be true to some extent. But if you use modern cleaning stuff like Seal1, Froglube, or a few others it is just better in my opinion. This is an outside variable but a very important one.

Mine actually repels carbon and can be wiped off with a paper towel after use. If you use traditional cleaning methods then a NiB might have some minor advantages. If you use the new stuff you can use whatever you want in the way of BCG.

My main suggestions would be to buy something from a reputable manufacturer as well as something with a total bad ass look to it. :)
    yeah, I have already treated it with froglube while its sitting around waiting to be finished and fired, so will probably stick with the toad juice for a while. plus after ordering their clamshell kit, then a 4oz tub of paste, I won a froglube tube kit in a FB giveaway, so I've got plenty to use up, lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to clutter up your thread Rob.
    by all means gost, clutter away. I know I'm asking about specifics, but I dont give a rats ass if we meander a bit in the process. I enjoy the thread growing legs for a while to be honest

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    I agree. BCM BCG's should be around $160 again and they would be a legitimate "best" option. I only run BCM BCG's, but I do not like paying that much.
    BCM has their BCG currently listed at 169, which is definitely within my spending range. says its HPT and MPI, so I guess you cant go wrong there for that price. I think that one is the first in my short list now

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...up-auto-mp.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bcm is tough to beat, I would also look at Griffin Armament's enhanced bcg. It is a melonite finish and the machining is every bit as good as JP's, it is smoooth.

I wish I could find the mil document, but the recommendation was that 9310 is superior to C158, but due to cost it wasn't a feasible upgrade as per pound it does cost more.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads

Help with BCG selection

I've not said that the BCM BCG is a bad product, but that other very good quality BCG's can be had for less. Continental Machine and Tool makes very good BCG's without cutting any corners. They manufacture components for many companies including Colt and Noveske. My only complaint of BCM's BCG is the price. The price went up after the Sandy Hook shooting, and the only price drop has been the removal of the NRA contribution.
    There are only a handful of companies who actually machine carriers and bolts. It's almost certain CMT, FN and Tool Craft have been employed to make the BCM BCG to bravos specs (which is top notch).

In the past Colt did not make their own BCG. However in an article by guns and ammo they visited the CT colt factory and it specifically mentioned since Colt lost the contract for the M4 to FN they invested heavily into modern productions and new machines and now produce 100% of their own parts. Under that portion was a photo of a BCG being produced on a mill there in house. I have the article and photos, it's a good read if you'd like me to send it. I'm a Colt fanboy at heart, I'm just not myopic in my purchasing.

As far as nitride, I'm still on the fence as a BCG coating. It cleans easily, the finish is excellent and far more consistent then phosphate. Only time will tell. I'm getting really close to 500 rounds on the fathom and I'll probably keep going to a 1000 for my own curiosities before I review it.. Still no extra oil since I first started and still not cleaned. 0 malfunctions. I want to try a 100 rounds of wolf as it's seen almost exclusively federal 193. So far I'm impressed, my other BCG's would be getting filthy by now..but I'd really like to see someone get 10-20k+ rounds on one to see the long-term durability.
    Last edited by DutyUse; 7 March 2015 at 06:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am far from an expert in this area but I am using a rainier arms phosphate BCG. I have had zero problems with it. I know people say Nib is easier to clean and that might be true to some extent. But if you use modern cleaning stuff like Seal1, Froglube, or a few others it is just better in my opinion. This is an outside variable but a very important one.

Mine actually repels carbon and can be wiped off with a paper towel after use. If you use traditional cleaning methods then a NiB might have some minor advantages. If you use the new stuff you can use whatever you want in the way of BCG.

My main suggestions would be to buy something from a reputable manufacturer as well as something with a total bad ass look to it. :)

A good lubricant is important, but a surface like NiB is way easier to clean after suppressed shooting than a phosphate one, even when using Frog Lube. The NiB finish tarnishes/stains quickly with heat and fouling....I think a lot of people have it in mind they'll stay that new color forever. It won't if you shoot it. But it will still function the same. I'd never used a NiB BCG so I put up the $180 to test and see how it performed

Downloads
    Uploads
    After reading up on Aero Precision taking a majority stake in their barrel manufacturer, I jumped over to check them out and found they had some BCG's on the site as well. Figure if its Aero quality, this should be on the short list as well....any opinions?

http://ballisticadvantage.com/556-bcg-phosphate.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSWVA View Post
    After reading up on Aero Precision taking a majority stake in their barrel manufacturer, I jumped over to check them out and found they had some BCG's on the site as well. Figure if its Aero quality, this should be on the short list as well....any opinions?

http://ballisticadvantage.com/556-bcg-phosphate.html
    "save10now" will get you 10% off too