Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aimpoint M2, M3, M4 and T-1

While there are differences in types of battery, the overall quality of Aimpoints seem to all be around the same from what I can figure with current models. The entire Aimpoint family is extremely durable, and while all electronic optics can fail, the M2, M3, M4 and T-1 are all duty capable.

A recent conversation with a fellow LEO involved questions about the differences between the above Aimpoint models, and the primary differences we spoke about ended up as type of battery, configuration, and size of the optic. For clarity, we were discussing uses in an cop capacity, but it got me to thinking.

What do you see as pros, cons, or reasons to grab one model Aimpoint over the other? I know that price will probably come into this, but what are your thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aimpoint T-1 in American Defense MFG mount.

Aimpoint Comp M2 in American Defense MFG mount.

Aimpoint Comp M4 in Bobro mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 2 M2 and 1 M3..I'm thinking of picking up a T1 b/c of the compact size mainly.
    As a civilian, battery life is not an issue for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say the best value is the ML3/M3. It has the 50K battery life and cost right around $450/$500.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Battery life is a non-issue for all Aimpoint models, for me personally. It practically lasts forever. But, it doesn't hurt to have a most commonly available type of battery (AA), so, the M4 wins point there. I also find that it's easiest to manipulate the dot intensity knob in the M4, and hardest (relatively) in the Micro T1, even with its big knob. Of course, the Micro T1 wins the space saver award by a landslide. And the built-in windage and elevation adjustment tools on the caps is a plus for the T1. The built-in mount on the T1 looks wimpy, but mine hasn't given me any problems, so I can't really complain much. It just looks wimpy.
    Nothing wrong with the M2/M3. I also have a couple of them, but, if I were looking to buy again, I'd go with the M4, or the T1 (if space is a premium).
    I guess what I'm trying to say in all this rambling is, you can't really go wrong with any Aimpoint models brought up in this thread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the m4 is waay more expensive. so that left ml2 and ml3 for me. I really wanted the ml3. best value. but in the end. I got the ml2 with larue 150 mount. Im a civilian. I woudn't really need the ml3's 5 year battery. there's no way im leaving civilization for 5years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's nothing wrong with the ML2 and it's probably one of the better vales available. I've seen guys who are "upgrading" to a newer unit selling off their M2/ML2 Aimpoints for cheap. I have a couple in use and haven't found a need to replace them with a newer model.

SERT103 Guest
    I have had the ML2 and ML3. I sold the ML2 with the rifle it was attached to and now only have the ML3 in a ADM 68C mount. With a price point of only about $50 difference, and the gain in battery life, more rugged and rubber protector, it was an easy decision.

I am really wanting to get the T1 for my new Noveske N4 basic carbine. I want to keep this carbine as light as possible and I think this is the optic for my application.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those who have an active interest in the M4, it would seem that the original configuration has almost entirely disappeared in favor of the M4s. I take it that both are still in production, but is there any application, or weapon system, or situation that you can think of where the M4 would outshine it's low-battery-mount sibling? Why might anyone opt for anything other than the M4s at this point (assuming you aren't going with a less costly model, or something like the T-1)?

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't care how long the battery lasts or how good they are, $700+ for a red dot is getting a little rediculous. If they made it $500 for the M4S, it would be a great price.
    JMHO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by paulosantos View Post
    I don't care how long the battery lasts or how good they are, $700+ for a red dot is getting a little rediculous. If they made it $500 for the M4S, it would be a great price.
    JMHO.
    Well, you also have to consider that it does come with a perfectly acceptable mount. LaRue used to sell it with the OE and their mount for the same price but recently upped it to $734. MAP used to be $702. I've seen some places sell them for well under MAP as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by paulosantos View Post
    JMHO.
    Agreed. We're not talking about high end magnified optics. Don't get me wrong. I have several Aimpoint RD optics and I'm familiar with the quality, but even with the mount, that's pushing it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If they were free I would only have M4Ss and T1s.

I am a big T1 fan as a compliment to an ACOG, and I am in no rush to get rid of my M3.

As much as I like the M4S, it's pretty hard to opt for a 1X optic at nearly the price of a decent variable or low-power fixed.

I know that there are other issues, such as mounts and battery savings, but that's still a lot of cake.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 3 February 2009 at 12:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick, as we know durability and battery life are a non-issue. In my mind that leaves weight, cost, and features. I think the selection of any one Aimpoint over the other is typically cost driven. In other words, are you willing to pay less for a heavier piece of glass (and we're talking ounces) and more for a lighter one? Or one that operates on a battery found anywhere? How often are we talking about purchasing a new battery? Regardless, any Aimpoint that is selected you can count on it being reliable and backed with good service. Beyond that you're paying for the high speed options. Give me an ML2 any day...if it aint broke don't fix it.
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I may... questions:

1) Is the M4 a little shorter than the previous versions?

2) How does the killflash attach to the front of the aimpoints? is the front threaded on the inside?