Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a BCG

Downloads
    Uploads

Cleaning a BCG

I absolutely love shooting my Daniel Defence, but dread cleaning the BCG! I put about 500 rounds through it yesterday, and my nickel boron BCG was pretty filthy. I was brainstorming today, and made a tube out of 1 1/4" PVC pipe capped at one end and threaded with a cap on the other end to let the BCG soak in on the way home from the range to loosen up the carbon build up. I went to Home Depot to pickup some mineral spirits to use as the soaking solution, but the guy in the paint department told me They don't sale it any more due to some EPA nonsense. So, can you guys please give me some ideas for a good soaking solution?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't soak it in anything. Get Seal 1 (or Froglube) and treat it per the instructions. It will still get dirty but you will be able to wipe it off with a rag and be done with it. You're making your life way too hard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For now you can get a can of Gun Scrubber and spray it on, it will break up the carbon and you should be able to get it off with very little effort. If you're not familiar with it, you can get it at Wal Mart, or just about any gun store that carries cleaning supplies. A good runner up is the cheap cans of spray brake cleaner you can get also at Wal Mart, or any of the big chain auto parts stores.

My question to you is this. What are you shooting in it? For a NiB bolt to get that built up, it makes me wonder if you got a bad one. I have NiB bolts in every AR I own, and that's one of the benefits of them. I spend very little time cleaning them. I usually spray them with a little gun scrubber and can wipe them off, clean, with a piece of T Shirt. Any "scraping" that needs to be done, are usually just "bits" of carbon specks that I can knock off with my thumb nail. That's 90% of the point of having NiB in the first place. That and less lube needed and they run cooler with less friction. What manufacturer's bolt do you have in it? Something doesn't sound right. I got one from a big name manufacturer, and the NiB was cooking off of the bolt tail after the first outing with it. Come to find out, they had gotten a batch with bad NiB coating.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I'm just weird but I like cleaning my guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Maybe I'm just weird but I like cleaning my guns?

Is it considered 'cleaning' or just 'caressing' or 'fondling'?

I like cleaning my guns as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Is it considered 'cleaning' or just 'caressing' or 'fondling'?

I like cleaning my guns as well.
    Depends which BCG it is

One of my old colt BCGs more like "briskly scrubbing" or "honey where's the sandpaper?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    what is this word (cleaning) never herd of it
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the replies guys! FortTom, the nickel boron BCG was made for RifleGear by Spikes I believe. Maybe I'm being to obsessed with getting the damn thing to shine! It functions fine, never had one hang up with over a few thousand rounds down range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergiveupthefight View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! FortTom, the nickel boron BCG was made for RifleGear by Spikes I believe. Maybe I'm being to obsessed with getting the damn thing to shine! It functions fine, never had one hang up with over a few thousand rounds down range.
    If you want to get the thing to shine again, that might be an exercise in futility. The more you shoot with the NiB Carrier, the more it will discolor. I have a couple that are almost black now. It'll never be as nice and shiny as the day you got it. If you care about such things, you may want to go with a Chrome plated Carrier next time.

For the most part, I don't clean my NiB BCG's that often. I just wipe them down, throw a light layer of lube on and continue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, my nephew says I'm overly obsessed cleaning my AR! He claims he never spent half the time cleaning his M4 in Afghanistan. I didn't realize that the nickel boron would turn black with use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FrogLube Solvent is amazing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with UWone...my NiB BCG is clean, and still as smooth and slick as ever - but more black than shiny silver than it was new. I use Fireclean now, a wipe down and minimal re-application is all I do.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    The cam pin had a lot of carbon build up. The bronze scrapper on my Leatherman MUT is really effective of getting the carbon off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FIREClean works great for me. Even after hundreds of rounds suppressed, just a paper towel fixes things, and a thumb-nail on the tail of the bolt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    FIREClean works great for me. Even after hundreds of rounds suppressed, just a paper towel fixes things, and a thumb-nail on the tail of the bolt.
    I'm also a fan.. Just so damn expensive. It is effective though.