Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a BCG

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just looking on Amazon, and M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner received really good reviews too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergiveupthefight View Post
    I was just looking on Amazon, and M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner received really good reviews too.
    I used Mpro7 for years but revently switched to FrogLube Solvent. I use froglube or RandCLP for lubrication. The solvent is pretty amazing. Spray on, let it sit, brush and whip with a microfiber cloth and done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I'm also a fan.. Just so damn expensive. It is effective though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. It costs me, like, half a magazine of ammo...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I chased all the latest and greatest unicorn-jizz cleaners/coatings/lubes/etc. for a couple of years. It's all snake-oil BS.

I use
    http://www.slip2000.com/
    because it smells halfway decent. yep, smell. As good a criteria as any "tier one operator" salesman on the internet.

On the rare occasions I do clean the BCG, I start by tearing it down and spraying everything with this
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_725.php

Then I dunk the bolt itself in this for a bit (typically while I clean the chamber), along with the extractor (sometimes I take the extractor off, usually I just leave it attached to the bolt)
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_carbon_killer.php

when it comes out of there I spray it with the 725 again

Then I either hit the parts with the air hose or run it under the water in the sink (yet, water, yes, in the sink, yes hotels love me). Finally, I lube it up with this
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl30.php

and I use this for lube touchups
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl.php
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I as well use Slip2000, I like the fact that it's nontoxic, or at least that's the claim.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slip2000 user here also. Been using it for a while and it's been great, it's given me no reason to switch.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I'm just weird but I like cleaning my guns?

Love cleaning mine. Just wish my garage was insulated and heated so I can take them there for a cleaning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I'm just weird but I like cleaning my guns?

Quote Originally Posted by nCarnage View Post
    Love cleaning mine. Just wish my garage was insulated and heated so I can take them there for a cleaning.

I like cleaning also, I'm a little obsessive compulsive with it though.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have no exprerians whit NiB bolts but from what i have bin told is just wipe it down whit a cloth and add some oil of your choose

me i just have regular BCG i use Remington oil to clean and i use Spike tactical oil to keep it lube
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even shooting suppressed, which is about the dirtiest thing you can do, my NiB BCGs wipe clean after being lubed with FrogLube. I'd like to try FireClean no one carries it locally.

It has also been mentioned, but a heavily shot NiB carrier will tarnish/discolor. I have a chrome BCG also and it retains the original matte grey finish but doesn't clean quite as well as NiB, but better than phosphate.

If I have to use a solvent, I use Hoppes Semi Auto and apply with qtips

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the replies guys! FortTom, the nickel boron BCG was made for RifleGear by Spikes I believe. Maybe I'm being to obsessed with getting the damn thing to shine! It functions fine, never had one hang up with over a few thousand rounds down range.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If you want to get the thing to shine again, that might be an exercise in futility. The more you shoot with the NiB Carrier, the more it will discolor. I have a couple that are almost black now. It'll never be as nice and shiny as the day you got it. If you care about such things, you may want to go with a Chrome plated Carrier next time.

For the most part, I don't clean my NiB BCG's that often. I just wipe them down, throw a light layer of lube on and continue.
    Yeah, my nephew says I'm overly obsessed cleaning my AR! He claims he never spent half the time cleaning his M4 in Afghanistan. I didn't realize that the nickel boron would turn black with use.
    Nickel is the "other ingredient" in Nickel Chrome, a cousin to NiB. Have you ever seen a set of chrome pipes on a motorcycle, especially near the heads where all the heat is, turn every color from near black to blue to purple to yellow? That's what Nickel is going to do in your gun also. The carrier will stay pretty much like it came, but not the bolt tail. Just as long as it's not "cooking" off, or flaking or micro looking bubbles occur, it's perfectly normal.

When I read your post, I thought you mean you were trying to clean carbon off of your bolt. Unless the NiB is bad from the application, turning colors is normal and does not alter the effectiveness of it. As hard as it is, I would not suggest scraping NiB with anything other than some type of cleaner, and possibly your thumbnail.

Lastly, unless you have the BCU apart for cleaning, the "black" isn't going to show. Since it's a chemical process of the nickel heating, I know of no one or thing that can reverse it. Lastly, since it's cleaned, and inserted back into the carrier, who's going to care what color it is?
    Last edited by FortTom; 11 March 2015 at 16:12.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I chased all the latest and greatest unicorn-jizz cleaners/coatings/lubes/etc. for a couple of years. It's all snake-oil BS.

I use
    http://www.slip2000.com/
    because it smells halfway decent. yep, smell. As good a criteria as any "tier one operator" salesman on the internet.

On the rare occasions I do clean the BCG, I start by tearing it down and spraying everything with this
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_725.php

Then I dunk the bolt itself in this for a bit (typically while I clean the chamber), along with the extractor (sometimes I take the extractor off, usually I just leave it attached to the bolt)
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_carbon_killer.php

when it comes out of there I spray it with the 725 again

Then I either hit the parts with the air hose or run it under the water in the sink (yet, water, yes, in the sink, yes hotels love me). Finally, I lube it up with this
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl30.php

and I use this for lube touchups
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl.php
    I used to have a solvent or a lube for every darn item I owned. When I moved, I literally threw ALL of them out, except my FIREClean. Honestly, because it's all I've needed in the last year. Trashed were:

Boshield T9
    MPro7 LPX
    Froglube
    SEAL1
    G96
    Frog Lube Paste
    (I kept my Weapon Shield as it was a gift from George Fennel, personally, and their EP grease is amazing for applications that require grease).
    Militec MC2500
    MC3000
    Other stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nCarnage View Post

Huh? Dude. I like cleaning my weapon, as well. Typically though, I use bio-safe lubes and clean in front of the computer, so that while one hand is cleaning, I can

nevermind.

Seriously though, it sounds like you use some really caustic stuff, if your reason is smell/fumes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Huh? Dude. I like cleaning my weapon, as well. Typically though, I use bio-safe lubes and clean in front of the computer, so that while one hand is cleaning, I can

nevermind.

Seriously though, it sounds like you use some really caustic stuff, if your reason is smell/fumes.
    Nah. I use froglube. Just like being in my own little world and not hear the wife complain about smells, carbon and crap. Plus I have music playing, posters and man stuff. 😋

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't clean shit. Hate it. Almost as much as I hate reloading. And generally anything having to do with guns that isn't shooting them.

I have so many parts that I've bought over the years and the very idea that using them means I have to install them has meant they go un-installed and eventually get sold off.

I used to like/care-about those things, now I hate all of it. I even stage my gear ahead of time so I can just grab this bag, that can, and this gun and go to the range.

I swear, I think some people are the polar opposite, and like everything about guns EXCEPT for shooting them.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET