Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll agree with all the above. I have a 16" .277 WLV AR Performance barrel with a RRA 2 stage trigger with Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope. I have shot .38" @100 yards on several occasions with my 90GD loads. GASwamper can verify my rifle is accurate as he shot it himself last September.

Moral is It takes everybody above(Robs list above) to do their part to get good grouping. If one the above is off your day might be as good as you hoped. One component alone will not get you submoa accuracy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    One component alone will not get you submoa accuracy
    Nailed it

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The reason I was considering stainless was because I figured that even with me doing my part, that chrome lined would not do it. I was also under the impression that there was a standard deviation with chrome lined, and that stainless would have less deviation, and therefore be more accurate overall.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    The reason I was considering stainless was because I figured that even with me doing my part, that chrome lined would not do it. I was also under the impression that there was a standard deviation with chrome lined, and that stainless would have less deviation, and therefore be more accurate overall.
    It depends on who makes the barrel. There are several chrome lined barrels that are better than many stainless ones. The trick is having a concentric bore tip to tail. It is easier to accomplish using stainless because it is a softer metal but that doesn't mean that people actually take the time and care on it. On a harder metal creating that bore becomes more difficult and also when it comes to chrome lining if that is applied sloppily you won't get the best accuracy.

And in both cases the underlying metal has impurities in it that can lead to bore defects.

So if you got a cheap stainless barrel made out of a cheap chinese version of stainless and the guy doing the bore just didn't give a crap... you will get way worse results than using a 'better' barrel of any type. But comparing apples to apples on the quality scale stainless CAN be more accurate, IE instead of 1 1/2 inch groups you could get 1/2 inch groups....but this is assuming that in BOTH cases you had tailor made ammo for each gun.

A good stainless barrel can be more accurate than an equal level of CL barrel but that again boils down to ammo, barrel, trigger, and shooter. There is no two ways about it. If you want accurate (as in like really accurate) shooting you will have to invest in good ammo, period, regardless of what kind of barrel it is.

I have a really nice stainless barrel now and it shoots really good. That said I am tempted as hell to buy one of the mountain series barrels. You can shoot the holy living crap out of it with cheap ammo and guess what? No problems. I would venture to say that if you were really trying to shoot groups with a match grade gun and one with a mountain barrel on it and used independence ammo in both you wouldn't be able to tell which target was which when you were done.

The end point is, unless you are going to invest in ammo (either buying or rolling your own) then I would go with the mountain series that's on sale now. The ammo question is a yes or no answer. If the answer is 'sometimes' then the answer is yes. If not then pick a different barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All that said (for me) I enjoy the whole accurate thing. I like it. I find it addicting and fun. Other people would find it boring as hell.

At the end of the day there is more than one kind of shooting. Being super accurate is just one. I would like to have a super accurate shooter with the optic to match....I have one that fits that...but I need the optic now. But for general shooting I am thinking a mountain barrel. Put my 1-4x on the mountain upper and put a 2.5-10x on the accurate shooter and see how things turn out. Two tools for two different types of itch. I am headed that direction now. It's just a matter of time for me. Like everyone else here, I have more wants than money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a guy who has posted (with documentation) about shooting out to 1000 yards with a stock Colt 6920...with iron sights. I think he has a video on YT, as well. If it's not him, there's another guy that did it with a 0921HB barrel on YT. It might not be "as" accurate, but a good non-stainless barrel can do some amazing things with a good shooter.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo, thanks. Your post really cleared the water. It doesn't help me make my mind up, but at least now I feel like my decision will be somewhat educated.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo, thanks. Your post really cleared the water. It doesn't help me make my mind up, but at least now I feel like my decision will be somewhat educated.
    I've been thinking over all this same stuff for quite some time already so I am glad to help

Also all my own theorizing has met up with 4 or 5 months of actual doing it so that helps a lot too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Essentials of an Accurate AR-15

Without making this overly complicated, you need three basic components for a semi-automatic AR-15 to produce its best mechanical accuracy (technically, precision): a match-grade barrel, a quality free-float handguard and match-grade ammunition, preferably hand-loads tuned for your barrel. (The free-float handguard doesn’t add to the accuracy of the barrel per se, it simply prevents any outside influence from detracting from the accuracy of the barrel.) Anything after that will not immensely improve the mechanical accuracy of the semi-automatic AR-15, but several things can help you, the shooter, shoot to the level of the intrinsic accuracy of your semi-automatic AR-15.

While there are certainly gifted individuals among us that can do amazing things with iron sights, most of us will benefit from using a quality, high-power scope to achieve the highest level of accuracy from a precision AR-15. In order to hit the exact same spot on the target every time, you have to be able to see that you are holding on the exact same spot every time. It’s also important for the scope to be mounted at the proper height and at the correct eye-relief for the particular scope. One of the most common errors I see with scopes mounted on AR-15s is the scope not being mounted far enough forward for its eye-relief. Also, in order to maintain that exact hold throughout the trigger pull, it helps not to be fighting with a heavy, gritty, stock trigger. There are a variety of aftermarket triggers now on the market for both standard size trigger pins and the larger Colt trigger pins. Personal preference will definitely play a role in trigger selection. Among the two-stage triggers, I’ve found the Geissele triggers to be the smoothest, lightest, most consistent and most reliable. For single-stage triggers, it’s hard to beat the JP Enterprise Fire Control System. Keep in mind that the JP trigger does require fitting.

Following the scope and trigger selection, some shooters will find that items like aftermarket grips and stocks will help them achieve a better “fit” with their AR-15. (Shooters don’t all come in the exact same size and shape.) Once you’ve put your precision rig together, you have to find a match-grade factory load that your barrel “likes” or better yet, develop a match-grade handload for it.

A semi-automatic AR-15 is not going to shoot as accurately as a precision bolt-gun, but today’s precision AR-15s are capable of a level of accuracy that is truly outstanding for a semi-automatic rifle. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from one of my Krieger barreled semi-automatic AR-15s from a distance of 100 yards. I used Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings that were hand-loaded on a Dillon XL-650 progressive press. The load was developed using my Accuracy Node Detection Technique. The group has an extreme spread of 0.474”.

….

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good post Molon. I agree, although not as accurate as a bolt gun, the AR platform is capable of great accuracy. Nice targets as well!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome write up Molon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    A 16" carbine will do that all day if you do your job. Back in October at The Site Training Center in Illinois I used a 16" LW SIONICS melonited barrel and Carl Gustav M855 clone to shoot out to 600 yards. I borrowed a Leupold scope with a CMR2 reticle from one of my buds who was there. Not sure why you think an Uber stainless 18" barrel is necessary for that.

After reading the responses, I feel like everyone believes that I'm going to buy a stainless barrel and shoot 1 moa groups. The truth is, I will be looking to hit an 18" gong at 400 yards, and that will be plenty for me. I would like to be able to pull off a 10" group at 400 with factory match ammo. This rifle will probably get a 1-6 Vortex scope and a Hyperfire or ACT trigger.

I am not nearly looking for an accuracy rig, which is what I was getting at in the beginning. Do I need a stainless barrel to do that? Would it help?
    Owner/Instructor- Semper Paratus Arms
    www.semperparatusarms.com

Master Armorer/R&D- SIONICS Weapon Systems
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    A 16" carbine will do that all day if you do your job. Back in October at The Site Training Center in Illinois I used a 16" LW SIONICS melonited barrel and Carl Gustav M855 clone to shoot out to 600 yards. I borrowed a Leupold scope with a CMR2 reticle from one of my buds who was there. Not sure why you think an Uber stainless 18" barrel is necessary for that.
    Do you honestly see any difference in accuracy between your Melonite barrel and your chrome lined? I believe CL barrels have a unjustified belief they are automatically less accurate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Yep, they're right. On my "precision" gun I'm running a 18" BHW barrel, geissele ssa-e trigger, and a Pimary arms 1-6x ACSS scope. If I do my part, with good ammo I'm sure I can shoot sub MOA at 100 yards as that's the longest range I've got near me. I've only shot this rifle about 20 rounds for function test and rough zero, that was with 55gr hornady amax factory loads. Best group at 100 fit under a quarter with this ammo.

I will tell you, if I didn't have that trigger, it wouldn't have happened the way it did.
    I loooove my SSA-E trigger. That 2nd stage breaks so crisply and <2lbs. With my 16" Rainier barrel I shoot golf balls all day at 100. It's fun to see them fly straight up in the air 20-30ft

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't, but I have a different measuring stick for accuracy. I am not paying attention to groups. I don't shoot competition and I am not a super secret ninja assaulter. If I can hit what I am aiming at and do so consistently, then I am happy. In a defensive scenario you will most likely be shooting under 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Do you honestly see any difference in accuracy between your Melonite barrel and your chrome lined? I believe CL barrels have a unjustified belief they are automatically less accurate.
    Owner/Instructor- Semper Paratus Arms
    www.semperparatusarms.com

Master Armorer/R&D- SIONICS Weapon Systems
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com