Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolling my own?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use an RCBS Chargemaster dispenser/sxale combo. Works great. I calibrate it every time, don't use a fan near any digital scale, it'll disrupt the reading.

I would try something like XBR 8208 or 4166 before AA2520...just my two cents though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kind of odd the guy from Seirra would recommend starting a load above max data in most books for Varget and a 69gr projectile (most have 24.9gr as Maximum for a 69gr projectile), especially considering my rifle does well with around 90% of the max published load data. Your rifle may like the hotter loads, but personally if I were you I wouldn't be so much worried about velocity and charge weight as I would finding your rifles accuracy node. I would start with say 22gr-23gr of Varget and load 4 of each in .5gr increments (can do whatever you like but this is what I do). Then take 1 round from each of the weight batches and do a ladder test and see where your accuracy node is going to be. Then take the remaining 3 rounds from each batch and shoots a 3 round group separately for each batch. Pick the charge weight that performed the most consistently.

This will give you a much better idea of your rifles accuracy potential instead of basing it off of a factory load. Obviously with an AR platform rifle your limited to magazine length which will compromise your accuracy a bit, but you have already stated its half-moa capable, which is more than I would expect from most of my service rifles. I get about 1 moa out of a CL 1-7 16" FN 5.56 Barrel on a good day sometimes under with a 69gr SMK, but that's really pushing what the rifle is capable of. A 16" non-CL 1-7 should shoot those SMK's into a ragged hole all day though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hodgdons maximum load for Varget and 69 grain projectiles is 26.0 grains & that is a compressed load, so the sierra recommendation was not inaccurate, but it still requires working up to for safety. The publish load for 4895 is 24.8, compressed. Again, these are both according to the powder manufacturer.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was looking at my data from my Hornady manual, but even with loadings I've personally done 25gr was always past my accuracy node.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    I was looking at my data from my Hornady manual, but even with loadings I've personally done 25gr was always past my accuracy node.
    I completely agree testing up to any load someone suggests is required, even if the Sierra tester himself vouches for it, because an individual's rifle is exactly that: individual.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    Kind of odd the guy from Seirra would recommend starting a load above max data in most books
    Maybe I should clarify what I asked and what his response was. I asked what I asked here more or less about my own tests, my own velocity chrono tests, what gave me the best accuracy on my store bought tests etc etc.

Then I asked "while I am working into a load, I want to have 2610 fps within range if needed"...I was basing my question to him off of my own set of theories. His answer was basically 'these three charges in a 16" barrel will more than likely be more than enough to get you to that spot"

He didn't say what the specific load would be to max out the accuracy of my rifle. I asked my question because I wanted to have a higher top end if needed. If I can get them up to 2630 with those charges he mentioned but I wind up finding the sweet spot at 2580... then so much the better. I will be off of the max load if that turns out to be the case and that... is a good thing. I don't necessarily want to be shooting max loads all the time.

I am listening to you guys (for real ) about finding 'nodes' and hitting that sweet spot.

But as others have noted velocity isn't the sole determining factor here. The bang and type of bang matters a lot too as do a bunch of other things.

Basically I said "I have XYZ gear and I am developing a load...one that seems to work registered X velocity... so with a 69gr SMK if I want that velocity within reach using that bullet and that stuff..."

His answer was more geared around my very pointed question about velocity. I might be taking a totally goofed up approach to all this but hey, I gotta learn somehow. Of course I know that I will work into a load. I am not going to just plunk 25 grains in and hope for the best....but I was asking about loads that I could safely use to get me to that velocity should I ultimately need to go there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the end of the day Varget apparently comes highly recommended.

I will go try to round some up and see what I can come up with.

Here is the load data from Hogdon's website for a 69gr bullet with those two powders:

So accounting for a shorter barrel I should still be able to do good.

IMR 4895 is a faster burning powder... #89 on the chart I am looking at... and Varget is #99...

So in a shorter barrel than these tests were run on... I guess I should be good to go. I might buy a bottle of each and try them out one by one. Can't hurt. $30 what the hey.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I went and picked up some powder. I got 1lb of Varget and 1lb of IMR4895, 1000 primers and 1000 69gr SMK bullets. I will try with both the powders to see which one I ultimately like better.

I already have dies and presses and everything else I need. I know I can get from point A to point B but my set up is all manual so more or less it will take forever to reload any number of rounds.

Ideally I will come up with something accurate, repeatable, and relatively quick. With my set up now I can be accurate but it will be slow. I am thinking a set up like the one in the video will allow me to speed things up quite a bit without really sacrificing much. What do you guys think?

Once I get the right load my intention is to reload a couple hundred rounds and keep em around and on rainy days or whatever load up more. I figure with a setup like this once I get my brass done I could reload a couple hundred rounds in an evening, which is pretty good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also as of right now the price per round is about .38 cents. Once I settle on a powder I can get the price down to .35 cents per round if I use the 69 gr SMK's. That's way the hell better than the $1.25+ per round if I just buy the stuff.

If I reload some 55gr rounds we're talking about .25 cents a round. That's still saving .10 cents a round and will have me doing something other than watching some stupid show on TV.

Seriously though after I get my brass ready, if I can reload 200 rounds in an evening and have pretty good consistency about it then what the hell, that's not a bad deal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look at Nosler or Hornady bullets. I found Hornady, even though less expensive, makes a high quality, very uniform BTHP...the secants and jackets are flawless. I was getting boxes of their 52gr for $17.99 whereas Nosler CC 52gr were $23.99. It adds up, and the heavier bullets by Sierra and Nosler are closer to, if not over $30/100.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yes. I plan on trying to work up loads for different projectiles and see what I can get. For sure. The 69gr SMK were under $100 per 500. With shipping and everything I can get em for about 21 cents a piece delivered to my door. I'm definitely up to try other things though. My deal now is trying to figure out a way to speed up my charge process while still being accurate. I've never tried a digital scale for reloading but I might give it a go.