Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Stick,

So, that leaves the armchair speculator pondering civil 416s that never seem like they are coming, SCARs that won't be priced anywhere near what the typical everyman can afford, or perhaps some major delay in the Sabre AUG.

AC

My understanding is that HK will be making their announcement about the 416 and 417 going to the civilian market at SHOT. I'm not sure if they have a shipping date or not where people can expect to buy them, but I've heard this for awhile, so it should be pretty soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After seeing the nearly $4k street price for the German version of the 416 (MR 223), I'm almost hesitant to even ask what a US version will cost. Even with a domestic production arrangement (i.e. Wilcox), I still think the price of admission is going to be a bit staggering.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    More info today, but nothing earth shattering. Expect colors aside from black to start being introduced. I'm not sure on the sales that a company can expect to reap with color changes, but the Daniel Defense (SOCOM RIS II mandated) FDE color has shown solid sales in their rail lineup.

Would FDE be the next big thing in complete weapons? What about Foliage Green?

A couple more rumors about a company trying to go after specific individuals who are outside the industry, or borderline industry at best. Not sure how that plays into SHOT, but evidently threats have been made. SHOT Show starts to sound like kindergarten after talking to some people. I'll have to get ahold of the possible victim and get an idea what the real word is from them. If its legit, the cops working the center may be earning their OT this year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm simply too far away to keep my fingers on the pulse of the industry these days, but I am vaguely aware of some recent defamation litigation coming out of Norcross.

I've always found it vexing how readily we turn on one another in this business at times. This pistolsmith cannot abide another. This tactics trainer openly bad mouths a counterpart in some other part of the country. Company X openly slanders the products of a competitor ... it goes on and on.

Look, I can appreciate that "men of action" can -- and will -- have strong opinions at times, but I think you're entirely on point in observing that a lot of this is better suited to kindergarten than to the arms industry. Now, more than ever, a united front would be especially valuiable, no?

</rant>

Interesting obsevations on the color front, too. Might be something to that, and I could certainly see a market for a full FDE -- or even foiliage -- rifle. Of course, standardization could quickly become an issue, as manufacturers would inevitably try to gain the upper hand by offering "improved" shades, not unlike what LaRue has already done with UDE. Once we begin to stray too far from existing baselines (FDE, foliage, or even ranger green) things could get ridiculous in a hurry -- even if Team Magpul found some way to keep up with it all ... which to their credit, I suspect that they would.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Army Chief,

Just consider it the opportunity to "accessorize" with shades of green and brown! I can just hear it now, "which color goes with my.....eyes, ruck, LBE, tqc sling"

You could cover all the shades and patterns and still someone will come up with one better, different or tacticooler than everyone else.

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum
    Colt M16 Armorer, Colt 1911 Armorer, Glock Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads
    [retrieves bollocks from floor, after having momentarily laughed them off]

I think you're really on to something, Dutch: after all, there is no reason why we can't be tactical AND gorgeous at the same time.

I can already envision the new Color Coordination boards going up on all of the leading tatical forums, with deeply insightful posts like "Dude, I just love the way that your new Multicam receiver draws out the subtle earth tones in your plate carrier and Shemagh. Simply fabulous."

Let's get right on that ... I'll ever volunteer to Moderate it on WEVO.

Or uh, not.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    After seeing the nearly $4k street price for the German version of the 416 (MR 223), I'm almost hesitant to even ask what a US version will cost. Even with a domestic production arrangement (i.e. Wilcox), I still think the price of admission is going to be a bit staggering.

AC
    Remember that prices in Europe usually contain a VAT that hovers around 20%.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Remember that prices in Europe usually contain a VAT that hovers around 20%.
    In Germany, the VAT was historically 16%, though it changed a year or two ago to 19% -- so yes, you're entirely correct on that account. My larger concern has simply been for the abysmal Dollar/Euro exchange rate, which has pushed many European products out of the affordability range.

Granted, the 416 isn't going to be quite as heavily dependent upon German-sourced parts as some other weapons coming out of Oberndorf, but HK isn't exactly known for being a budget-conscious selection, either.

Chief

Downloads
    Uploads
    New rumor, more info later today....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm trying to decide what's worse: having no idea what is going on at all, or knowing that there is something new on the street, but having to wait to find out what it is.

We need to put you on an RSS feed, Stick! :)

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm trying to decide what's worse: having no idea what is going on at all, or knowing that there is something new on the street, but having to wait to find out what it is.

We need to put you on an RSS feed, Stick! :)

AC

We are so close I can almost touch it.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the FDE color, I saw somewhere that referenced Fed. Std. color number 30118, but from what I saw, it is a lot darker than the most FDE. Everyone does seem to have their own shade. As far as I know the FDE is a commercial color, I've never seen any MIL reference for it, or am I wrong?

To me, all these new piston and proprietary bolt systems are cool. But if stuff starts getting banned, us civy peons will have to worry about parts. Still, I don't think I could stop myself from buying a 308 SCAR or Massoud.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The new Noveske/ Magpul carbine has been announced, and is available....

Downloads
    Uploads
    These will go very, very quickly ...

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    ... and so they did. 20 when I started the order process, and 8 when I finished. Two minutes later, I watched it hit one, and then there were none.

Now I've got to hope and pray that Sheri can make the switch for the Afghan that I ordered in October ... and paid for in advance at my request.

Oddly enough, I had to be up at 0530 this morning, and if I hadn't logged in precisely when I did, I would never have even seen this post. Providence? We'll see.

AC