Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Cryptic Coatings BCG 10K rounds Review

Last month I was involved with a 10,000 round endurance test by a local rifle mfg (NDA prevents me from disclosing their information at this time), and my rifle as well as one other had the Cryptic Coatings BCG's in the Black Mystic/CVD treatment. My rifle's test was one shot every two seconds for 90 rounds, let barrel cool down to ambient temp, and then wipe down and re-lube with slip2000 every thousand rounds for 10,000 documented rounds. The other rifle with the Cryptic Coatings BCG was a dry test where all parts were degreased prior to testing, and one shot every two seconds for 90 rounds, cool to ambient, for 2,000 documented rounds.

Here is the BCG from my rifle at the documented 10,000 rounds after a quick blast from gun scrubber and a wipe down. There was almost no wear on the contact points.

[IMG]Cryptic coatings bcg by jprizz237, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is the BCG from the 2,000 round dry test.

BEFORE

AFTER

Even after 2K rounds caked on most of the carbon literally wiped off with a rag. Now there was more wear marks on the dry test than the 10K lubed test, so even with fancy coatings and treatments lubrication is needed, however the PVD/CVD finish was by far the superior treatment. There was also some NiB bcg's being tested and they showed significantly more wear than the PVD/CVD carries, and clean up was barely improved over the phosphate coated ones. To me NiB is a worthless finish, but the NP3 and PVD/CVD show promise.

Overall I personally feel that the CVD/PVD process is the most advanced alternative treatment/finish on the market available. Sure the price is more than some of the other offerings but I was flat out amazed at how easy it cleaned up and how slick it is.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    great pics that is amazing how well it help up to bad you dont have video of you cleaning it
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    great pics that is amazing how well it help up to bad you dont have video of you cleaning it
    I may be going out next month with them again so if I do I'll take more pics and video. It's amazing though, even on the bolt tail you could flake off the carbon with your fingernail.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    I may be going out next month with them again so if I do I'll take more pics and video. It's amazing though, even on the bolt tail you could flake off the carbon with your fingernail.
    man that is bad ass right ther
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome review, photos and testing! Thank you for sharing. Once your Nda ends (hopefully sooner then later) I hope you post a full write up.

I agree with what you said about regardless of the fancy coating, lubrication is needed or more wear will form. I'm running a nitride BCG without lube/cleaning for my own curiosities, tho now I wish I had two to compare them like you did. Dang what a good post :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good, thanks for the review. Would like to see pics of the bolt tail.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the write up! I have been looking at the mystic black for a while now but was waiting for some real world reviews to come in. Please keep us posted on any further updates!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. I thought I had some pictures of the bolt and tail but I don't.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02

Downloads
    Uploads
    so what you are saying is that you'd recommend it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    so what you are saying is that you'd recommend it?
    That is a good question. I haven't been a believer in fancy coatings and treatments as I've always felt a good lubricant like FireClean is all you need. I also rarely clean my rifles and when they get dry I just put on more lube. However ive started to shoot suppressed almost exclusively and those who do shoot suppressed understand how filthy things get fast. So I can see the benefit of the Cryptic Coatings Black Mystic treatment, and I am honestly contemplating a switch from phosphate to the CVD/PVD.
    Last edited by VIPER 237; 23 March 2015 at 08:02.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    That is a good question. I haven't been a believer in fancy coatings and treatments as I've always felt a good lubricant like FireClean is all you need. I also rarely clean my rifles and when they get dry I just put on more lube. However ive started to shoot suppressed almost exclusively and those who do shoot suppressed understand how filthy things get fast. So I can see the benefit of the Cryptic Coatings Black Mystic treatment, and I am honestly contemplating a switch from phosphate to the CVD/PVD.
    I'm not asking this to be a jerk...honest question:

You said that NiB was a worthless finish, but what you describe (run the BCG suppressed, wipe away the goop) happens with NiB, as well, assuming you're using the correct lube. Or do you mean because you can do what you did with no lube?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

You said that NiB was a worthless finish, but what you describe (run the BCG suppressed, wipe away the goop) happens with NiB, as well, assuming you're using the correct lube. Or do you mean because you can do what you did with no lube?
    I have the same question.

I find NiB to be actually pretty decent. It is the end all be all that needs no lube? No, I think that has been overstated, but I do find it easier to clean, and usually just needs a wipe down and more lube. With the costs lately, the price over a phosphate is negligible.

The Cryptic Coating has my interest piqued, and the price point reminds me of how much Fail Zero charged initially for NiB.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

In my experience the Nib isn't that much easier to clean than a phosphate with a good lube, and unlubed its almost the same. I've also experienced a stuck bcg with a fail zero, and in our test Nib also showed much more wear on the contact points. The fact that the CVD treatment was easier to clean with no lube than the Nib with lube to me shows how superior the CVD/PVD process is. Yes it is very expensive but if you want the Ferrari you have to buck up and pay the price, and most of us have no problem dropping $200 on a trigger, $100 on a muzzle device, so what's another $100 for a top quality BCG?

I'm going out again on Monday and i'll make sure to take a video and more pics to help you guys see how slick this stuff is.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmmm

I sort of want a gold or weird color bcg....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Hmmmm

I sort of want a gold or weird color bcg....
    CC's mystic bronze is pretty unique.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02