Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I use an Adj gas block and also tailor my ammo for this rifle so I have no issues. YMMV
    Define tailor. We talking handloads specific to the gun, or simply checking what weights/brands will cycle the action?

Downloads
    Uploads

Rainier Arms UltraMatch .223 Wylde Mid Barrel - 12.5"

Quote Originally Posted by turkishroy View Post
    Define tailor. We talking handloads specific to the gun, or simply checking what weights/brands will cycle the action?
    Combo of both. I've never had issues running factory ammo in it but yes I also run hand loads in my rifles. That's unsuppressed not suppressed.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need this. Preferably already drilled for taper pins and a FSP.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by turkishroy View Post
    Not to sound corny but I was just wondering how well this sort of gas/dwell would work. Think it would have to have a can to function? I know PWS has a MK212SD that requires a can for proper function...
    There are currently two 12.5" mid-length barrels that I know of on the market, both utilize a proprietary rifling. Both the Rainier Arms with Ratchet rifling and the Triarc with Track rifling are a single edge polygonal rifling. This provides a tighter seal of the projectile and reduces forward escaping gases, therefore minimal loss of gas pressures allowing the use of a longer gas system.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    I need this. Preferably already drilled for taper pins and a FSP.
    A Kino build without the additional gas block would be cool.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    There are currently two 12.5" mid-length barrels that I know of on the market, both utilize a proprietary rifling. Both the Rainier Arms with Ratchet rifling and the Triarc with Track rifling are a single edge polygonal rifling. This provides a tighter seal of the projectile and reduces forward escaping gases, therefore minimal loss of gas pressures allowing the use of a longer gas system.
    Interesting detail. I've read about poly rifling improving seal and consequently velocities. Gonna have to google that Triarc stuff, not familiar with it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Question sort of on topic and sort of off topic. Does anyone make a CHF 12.5 (or so) barrel?

Next question for all you SBR owners... in 5.56 I understand that the short barrel makes the gun REALLY LOUD. How much more loud are we talking? And is the same thing true for .300 BO?

I am thinking of SBR'ing a lower but I am initially leaning towards doing it in 5.56 mainly because I won't have to stock a bunch of other ammo.

Considering the SBR will be a 100 yards and in gun (my designated purpose) what are the pros and cons to my thinking?

I keep coming back to suppressing a 12.5" 5.56 but I think a .300 will be a ton quieter.

If I do my SBR I am thinking some sort of a red dot, maybe a SRS on top... but right now it's just in the 'maybe' category.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Centurion Arms and Palmetto State both offer 12"-ish CHF barrels. I've got the Centurion barrel and it's a tack driver. Mine's loud but I run muzzle brakes on it so it's hard to tell if it's that much louder than my other guns. It doesn't bother me, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's louder but not annoyingly so as long as you don't use a brake or comp.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Noveske used to make the best 12.5 CHF barrel on the market. They widely considered the 12.5 their best barrel. Not sure about the qualities of the new ones, but I've got a 12.5 from when Johnny was still around and it's been a great barrel. Still have an old 18T shooting a M4-1000 on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    More then likely, if you go ahead and file the paper work for an SBR lower you'll end up with multiple uppers for it. Just a feeling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    More then likely, if you go ahead and file the paper work for an SBR lower you'll end up with multiple uppers for it. Just a feeling
    I can feel the money draining out of my wallet already.

I'm up in the air if I should SBR my current lower or just buy a new one.

That said just a couple of observations....if I SBR it and then suppress it I'm really not gaining much because the OAL is still out there. If I do it though I'm thinking a CMT billet lower and a billet slick side upper with a 12.5 CHF barrel.

I'm still not entirely sold on an SBR in general but the more I learn the more I can see its use.

At least so far that's the concept. I would probably want a new lower with a different stock for an SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I almost went billet as my first SBR lower and I can totally see the appeal. After talking with the guys here tho I'm glad their advice sunk in and that I went with a forged BCM as my first. You can always get a more boutique lower later to SBR...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why? Reason with me.

I am 95% about utility so the jury is still out on building an SBR..

Is it a weight issue or something else that says don't go billet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Rainier Arms UltraMatch .223 Wylde Mid Barrel - 12.5"

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Why? Reason with me.

I am 95% about utility so the jury is still out on building an SBR..

Is it a weight issue or something else that says don't go billet?
    It's the Industry standard. Plus when have you ever read about a forged lower being "worn" out? I'm sure there are government Colt lowers in rotation that have seen untold millions of rounds and decades of abuse and still going strong.

What really sold me was this.. You will have this SBR lower for the rest of your life. What looks good now in billet might not in 2030. Forged lowers will remain a timeless look.

Edit: Here's the thread where I asked the same question billet vs forged for SBR. Guys smarter then i on the subject, giving better answers then i can give honestly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DutyUse; 12 May 2015 at 12:19.