Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gas/buffer questions.

I have a 10.5" waiting for the man to greenlight the stock. My question; is that length, in BLK, with pistol length gas system going to be over-gassed out of the box? What about when I add a suppressor? I'm looking at the REECE, threaded directly to the barrel to keep it partially under the rail. Will I need an adjustable gas block? Which buffer weights are appropriate with/without the can? I've tried to find this info, but there isn't as much to be found, compared to more common rounds.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    First question is do you plan on shooting subs or supers mainly?

Downloads
    Uploads
    An adjustable GB is not needed contrary to some. I'm not using one suppressed/unsuppressed with subs and supers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    An adjustable GB is not needed contrary to some. I'm not using one suppressed/unsuppressed with subs and supers.
    I heard both ways on that and decided to stop reading and start asking experienced shooters. Are you using a heavier buffer depending, or just a standard carb buffer?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd just shoot it with a carbine buffer, then increase buffer weights until you find the heaviest buffer the gun will cycle reliably with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    adj gas block is not needed, but is nice to have to help dial it in. And think about the JP Silent Capture spring if you're going suppressed... the twang will drive you nuts otherwise. Plus you can use their spring pack to dial it in even more. Mine has nearly zero recoil anymore with my sub handloads, the gas blocked closed some, and the spring changed on the JP.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I read probably everything you read as well when I started out with my 300 build. I guess what swayed me was the fact that AAC did a fair amount of development with the round and none of their uppers have an adjustable GB.

UW has good advice about the buffer weight. Mine is using an MVB Arc stock so I'm using their buffer but I believe it is basically the same weight as an H1.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bumping and sorta sidetracking...

16" blackout with pistol gas and running mostly supers, what buffer and spring for collapsed setup?

Also will a rifle length tube and buffer run with the bo as I said u think?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am very new to all this, but I would not put a can up under the rail. Shoot a little bit and that sucker gets H-O-T!!!!

It's a concept that looks good on paper but I wouldn't want it.

Also with my limited experience I would say use an adjustable block and call the rest a day.

Of course please note that I know nothing about .300 BO specifically. I don't know if buffer weights matter on that round or not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    adj gas block is not needed, but is nice to have to help dial it in.
    ^^^ What he said.

Downloads
    Uploads
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzMLvrF6u4

Start watching at 20 minutes in.... that stuff is gets HOT. Under a rail the radiant heat is still going to be really bad.

One mag and you will be up over 500 degrees. Two mags and you're up around 850 degrees based on their test....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never thought about the heat under the guard. The new MI SP hand guards look nice for the application.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzMLvrF6u4

Start watching at 20 minutes in.... that stuff is gets HOT. Under a rail the radiant heat is still going to be really bad.

One mag and you will be up over 500 degrees. Two mags and you're up around 850 degrees based on their test....
    Welcome to #suppressorlife.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Admittedly, I'm no professional at this, nor am I an expect, but I do agree that there's no need for the adjustable GB. I don't have an adjustable GB on either of my BLK set ups. One is a pistol that's running H2 buffer weight with no issues. The other is a 16" carbine gassed, also running H2, no issues. All that said, though......I'm running supers only. No subs, nothing suppressed......yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by P39 View Post
    Admittedly, I'm no professional at this, nor am I an expect, but I do agree that there's no need for the adjustable GB. I don't have an adjustable GB on either of my BLK set ups. One is a pistol that's running H2 buffer weight with no issues. The other is a 16" carbine gassed, also running H2, no issues. All that said, though......I'm running supers only. No subs, nothing suppressed......yet.
    Word. I only have one adjustable gas block, and it's on a piston gun which doesn't actually need it to run. Every single rifle I own runs suppressed without issue. I get the need for them for a "not-in-spec" rifle, but if you buy something that's a known quantity, life is easy without one.