Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob how often do you feel that you got it exactly right? The more vertical grips don't work for me either, I use either MOE or MOE+.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Truthfully, the original tan gun is still pretty perfect to me. I'd like a slightly longer handguard on that gun as it sits today, but otherwise it's a perfect "do all" gun for me, and has been almost since writing the first article.

However, things change based on actual use as well as potential use or general interests. When I assembled that gun originally, I was fully into all the SHTFantasy nonsense propogated on many forums. I thought I "needed" an AR to repel post-hurrican invaders, etc. now I'll just leave and come home when things quiet down. I also have a renewed interest in competition shooting, and so I'd like to be able to get a little better precision and accuracy from the gun, as well as a little less muzzle climb. For my original stated purpose though? It was, and has been, spot on.

the other original gun, the green one, is a bit harder to evaluate. It's stated purpose at the time was strictly "home defense", and since that really means "sit in the safe and never get shot" it performed perfectly! The changes to that gun are mostly being driven by a change in can and by keeping it to a similar interface as the tan gun. I really like having the same handguard on both guns, same or similar VFG and pistol grip, etc. But i shot the green gun in it's original configuration a few times (eventually the ACOG went away and turned into an Aimpoint) running "HD" type drills and it performed well.

The last gun in the trifecta is somewhat "new". It used to be a pretty stock 6933 with MOE furniture and an Aimpoint, and it acted like a loaner gun or new shooter gun because it was a balance of simple, lightweight, and inexpensive (obviously being an SBR it was only loaned if I was present). But since it's a factory SBR I wanted to keep it as a new shooter gun but better optimize it and update it with some lessons I've learned on other project guns (such as keeping the ability to remove the optic for overly weight-conscious shooters).
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a very interesting thread. I have won most of my parts. I keep thinking it should be a "do all" rifle. (Tan Gun) Regarding the parts I currently own: The upper and lower are billet. The hand guard is a 12.37" Samson EVO key mod and the trigger I won is a two stage CMC. (1lb-3lb) I have both a Lantac Dragon & a Fossa 556 flash hider. A friend was going to give me a barrel, but then he felt like it wasn't the right one for my rifle. I came close to buying a Mountain Series barrel, but had to postpone that purchase. So now I am reading your posts and wondering if my "Frankenstein Rifle" can be a "Do All" with the parts I own or are there some mismatches here. My CMC trigger might be more of a target trigger. Is that correct? Don't get me wrong. I am very happy I have these parts. I'm just thinking this through. It doesn't have to be perfect. I'm sure that I will enjoy the rifle once it is complete. Anyway, I'm learning a lot from this thread. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't think that a perfect do it all rifle is achievable since a do it all rifle is good at many things, but not perfect at any. Rob_S is putting together 3 rifles trying to achieve that they will be perfect at their defined purpose. I personally don't feel that a perfect do it all rifle is achievable, it's like trying to catch a chupacabra.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Don't think that a perfect do it all rifle is achievable since a do it all rifle is good at many things, but not perfect at any. Rob_S is putting together 3 rifles trying to achieve that they will be perfect at their defined purpose. I personally don't feel that a perfect do it all rifle is achievable, it's like trying to catch a chupacabra.
    Chupacabras :)
    I understand. Thanks for your input, Ghost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still trying to work out my optics on the RDS guns, specifically relative to mounting height. I prefer an absolute cowitness with the folding, locking, irons I also prefer. But I'm wanting the ability to add a magnifier that I can detatch, flip to side, and use on either gun. It appears that Larue is the only game in town for such a mount (I don't like the ADM solution), but their "low" magnifier mount has alignment issues that seem to vary across the internets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you need QD capability on the magnifier? If not, you may want to check out the vortex vmx-3t. Offers co-witness and a decent price.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, the magnifier needs to be able to be completely removed from the gun(s) wihtout tools, as well as tip-to-side. I've used the Larue in the past and it's very intuitive and simple to use, but I want to be able to completely remove the thing when I don't need it.