Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I am geting warmer...

I have been tinkering around trying to develop a reload for my AR. I figure it's way cheaper than buying match ammo which costs almost a buck fifty per shot...

If I hunt around I can buy regular Wal Mart .223 for around .35 cents a round... for these reloads I am doing... I am paying about .38 cents including everything, but that can go down to .35 cents or cheaper once I start buying some components in bulk.

I was playing around trying to get something 'perfect' trying to use around 24.1 'ish' grains of varget under a 69 grain SMK bullet. It really wasnt working for me despite trying a several different loads...

I started analyzing my velocity tests... did a little math and bumped it up to 24.3 grains of Varget just out of curiosity's sake. I didn't really have the intention to shoot for a group today. A big storm is about 10 minutes out... its sprinkling now and was thundering the whole time, but I wanted to do a quick velocity test.

Below is a 10 shot group that I just shot 30 minutes ago. 100 yards. 8 of the 10 shots can be almost entirely covered by a dime(.7 inches). 2 flyers.

Barrel is a 16" Rainier Arms Select Medcon. Brass is mixed. I just checked and I used 3 different varieties of brass. No signs of over pressure...

I am making progress...

Also a quick disclaimer... on this test I did use a led sled... gotta keep it honest....

Last edited by alamo5000; 16 April 2015 at 15:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty good results imo. Nice group.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bipod and a bag under the stock often yields better results then a sled personally. I just can't get comfortable on one. Very nice group IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    Pretty good results imo. Nice group.
    I basically raced home to try and beat this storm... flew in the driveway... got my stuff... set it up ASAP and shot. I did not take my time to place shots or any of that. Then again I was using a led sled.

My intention was to test velocity mainly but I figured I might as well give myself a target.... I shot all 10 shots before I ever checked anything. I shot them in just a minute or so... maybe two at the most...so these were not carefully placed shots or anything but the results are encouraging me after a string of frustrating groups. I am going to try and toy with it some more and see what I can do. But to get 8 out of 10 shots literally on a dime at 100 yards is pretty good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Bipod and a bag under the stock often yields better results then a sled personally. I just can't get comfortable on one. Very nice group IMO.
    I figured out pretty quickly that the thing is pretty uncomfortable... but I figured out how to get a lot more comfortable with it. #1 rule, no ear muffs. Only ear plugs. I was also laying prone on the ground behind it... that seemed to help a lot.

Long story short though I am pretty happy with what I have done so far reload wise. If I stopped right now I would think the ammo would be pretty darn good. I was testing the ammo today, not me, so I broke out the sled. I will say it has come in mighty handy at times.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice silver dime.

I didn't recall you had the medcon version of the Select match; I've got the full heavy profile. Even if they were identical a slight variation (.2gr) isn't enough to change the velocity significantly but maybe it was just the bump your blaster needed.

That's why I recommend the OCW method. It saves a lot of time and effort and lets you get closer in load charges so you don't have to ladder test to death wasting supplies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Nice silver dime.

I didn't recall you had the medcon version of the Select match; I've got the full heavy profile. Even if they were identical a slight variation (.2gr) isn't enough to change the velocity significantly but maybe it was just the bump your blaster needed.

That's why I recommend the OCW method. It saves a lot of time and effort and lets you get closer in load charges so you don't have to ladder test to death wasting supplies.
    Now that I am on this load I am going to tinker around the edges and see if I can do better. I did not take my time doing this test. If it ever stops raining I will do a much more controlled test. But now at least I am pretty confident in the direction I am going.

I might try 24.4 and 24.5 and see if the spread opens or closes and go from there.

My chrono isn't the best so I am going to try it again and compare notes. Next go round when I prep my brass I am going to pick out a bunch that are the same head stamp and see if that helps any.

But yeah, going from 24.1 to 24.3 seems to have made a difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update: I just did a test similar to the one above. I tried 24.4 grains of Varget under the 69 grain SMK and the group pretty much sucked for my purposes. The spread was about where I was at with 24.1 grains.

It looks like somewhere around 24.3 grains is it. More testing still to be done though. I will keep ya'll posted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    nice group.

My RA 18" Match loves 69gr SMK's and 24.9-25 grs of varget. have some Tac and a few others to play with, but MY load shoots right at or under a MOA so far with me and my crappy stock mil spec trigger

Downloads
    Uploads
    VihtaVuori powders work very well with the 69 grain MatchKing . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    VihtaVuori powders work very well with the 69 grain MatchKing....

Which powder are you using Molon? I am still working on this one but i am getting closer. Before I get done I will shot map. 1st shot cold bore. 1st shot clean bore. 1st shot dirty bore....2nd 3rd 4th etc...

I think now that I made one load I can start fine tuning it and I might be able to make the load development process a lot smoother next time around.

I will buy some more brass but this time I want to get some that has the same head stamp. I don't know if it matters that much but it would be nice to use the same brass.

As it is though I am going to load up more rounds and stretch this rifles legs when I can get out to do it. I am going to go for 600 yards right out of the gate :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    nice group.

My RA 18" Match loves 69gr SMK's and 24.9-25 grs of varget. have some Tac and a few others to play with, but MY load shoots right at or under a MOA so far with me and my crappy stock mil spec trigger

Thank you! This test was done quite hastily so maybe it was a total fluke. LOL

I did cheat though because I used a led sled.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    slight variation (.2gr) isn't enough to change the velocity significantly but maybe it was just the bump your blaster needed.
    My scale is pretty accurate so I did tests at 24.1...24.12 ....24.14....24.16....24.18...etc. I chronoed 10 shot strings (or tried to but my chrono is crappy). None the less the rough data says .02 grains adds 7 to 8 fps. So based on a really rough test .1 grains adds about 35 to 40 fps in my rifle.

I don't think the results are linear but I did the math and that's how I jumped up to 24.3 grains. It was sheerly on averages and some math but it worked.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 26 April 2015 at 09:07.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post

I'm going to have to let that one sink in. LoL

I might need some translation into English.