Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This right here. Any barrel nut that require timing is from the stone age. Frankly the NSR/SMOS barrel nuts are crap. A redesign is badly needed.
    I figured. I don't disagree... I guess I just kind of deal with it. Still like the Geissele barrel nut the most, I think.
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EO3 View Post
    I figured. I don't disagree... I guess I just kind of deal with it. Still like the Geissele barrel nut the most, I think.
    Must be all those years of experience talking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Must be all those years of experience talking.
    Yeah, I started building rifles back in the early 70's.... got quite a few years under my belt
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

Downloads
    Uploads
    This right here. Any barrel nut that require timing is from the stone age. Frankly the NSR/SMOS barrel nuts are crap. A redesign is badly needed.
    That's a fact. Even with the Noveske barrels nuts being threaded on both ends and the threads on each end being offset, i've had to use shims to correctly time them. Without the shims, the torque value was either below spec, or i got it as tight as i could and it still wasn't timed correctly. I will say that for a barrel nut that requires timing, ALG got it right with their EMR. They include a special barrel nut wrench, shims, and extremely detailed and easy to follow instructions on how to time the barrel nut correctly, which resulted in a perfectly timed barrel nut on the first try...and no cursing was necessary!
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    That's a fact. Even with the Noveske barrels nuts being threaded on both ends and the threads on each end being offset, i've had to use shims to correctly time them. Without the shims, the torque value was either below spec, or i got it as tight as i could and it still wasn't timed correctly. I will say that for a barrel nut that requires timing, ALG got it right with their EMR. They include a special barrel nut wrench, shims, and extremely detailed and easy to follow instructions on how to time the barrel nut correctly, which resulted in a perfectly timed barrel nut on the first try...and no cursing was necessary!
    I'm hoping SMOS is coming out with something new as they release new products this year and into next. Untimed barrel nut for their rails would be at the top of my list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm hoping SMOS is coming out with something new as they release new products this year and into next. Untimed barrel nut for their rails would be at the top of my list.
    There are a lot of rails that I like but when it comes to buying one if I have to time the nut it automatically goes way down on my list. It's like my own standard requirement for buying rails.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be awesome if they released a rail like that. Hopefully something compatible with a wide range of uppers. I was really bummed when i found out a Geissele rail wouldn't work with a Mega billet upper without having to modify one or the other.

In the meantime, their new quad rails make me want to order another GFY set. As if i need another AR.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have used a few different rails: BCM, Fortis with milspec nut, Fortis switch, SLR, Geiselle, Samsons, Noveske, SMOS, Midwest Industries, Rainier Arms/Seekins BAR style.

I will agree its nice not having to time a nut, but I far prefer the looks of the Noveske NSR's and SMOS rails. I've never ran into any issues with timing following Noveskes instructions. I have had to flip one around before. I feel like the extra little effort is worth it....JMO

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    I have used a few different rails: BCM, Fortis with milspec nut, Fortis switch, SLR, Geiselle, Samsons, Noveske, SMOS, Midwest Industries, Rainier Arms/Seekins BAR style.

I will agree its nice not having to time a nut, but I far prefer the looks of the Noveske NSR's and SMOS rails. I've never ran into any issues with timing following Noveskes instructions. I have had to flip one around before. I feel like the extra little effort is worth it....JMO
    I once had an NSR barrel nut that just would not time correctly with proper torque (i think Noveske says 40 ft.-lb.). but, i was able to time it at 35#, so thats where it stayed. so far so good.

In other news, i finally finished my GFY build from the parts i bought during the original deal SMOS offered us WEVO folks. It's gone through a lot of changes since i started, but i'm real happy with how it turned out. I'll post pics soon, maybe even resurrect Pyzik's SMOS build thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    My SMOS GFY set is finally a complete rifle. Given the awesome deal SMOS gave us on the receivers, my goal was to build this rifle for as little money as possible yet not sacrifice quality in the process. The only thing i purchased specifically for this gun was the barrel. Everything else was on hand, or became available for use in this build as parts came off other rifles for various reasons. After a lot of swapping around of parts trying to get this gun just right, i went with a Ballistic Advantage Modern Series barrel chambered in 5.56 nato with their pinned low profile gas block and melonite gas tube, a Smith Vortex flash hider, Troy BUIS, Magpul MOE furniture in FDE, an Aimpoint ACO in a QRP mount, Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle, ALG QMS trigger, RCA nitrided BCG (i blacked out their logo with some cold blue), Impact Weapons QD receiver end plate, Strike Industries magazine catch and button, and a Noveske takedown/pivot pin set for shits and giggles.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads

SMOS Arms MLOK Handguard - NOW WITH SPECIAL WEVO MEMBERS BUY ON UPPER/ LOWER/ RAIL FROM SMOS

The beauty of a practical shooter. Very nice. I've wondered how the BA modern series holds groups.

and a Noveske takedown/pivot pin set for shits and giggles.
    Hahaha I think what's why it's called the GFY.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My SMOS GFY set is finally a complete rifle. Given the awesome deal SMOS gave us on the receivers, my goal was to build this rifle for as little money as possible yet not sacrifice quality in the process. The only thing i purchased specifically for this gun was the barrel. Everything else was on hand, or became available for use in this build as parts came off other rifles for various reasons. After a lot of swapping around of parts trying to get this gun just right, i went with a Ballistic Advantage Modern Series barrel chambered in 5.56 nato with their pinned low profile gas block and melonite gas tube, a Smith Vortex flash hider, Troy BUIS, Magpul MOE furniture in FDE, an Aimpoint ACO in a QRP mount, Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle, ALG QMS trigger, RCA nitrided BCG (i blacked out their logo with some cold blue), Impact Weapons QD receiver end plate, Strike Industries magazine catch and button, and a Noveske takedown/pivot pin set for shits and giggles.

Very nice build. Well, I mean, if quality components in a highly functional configuration with aesthetically pleasing clean lines is your thing...

I'm with feldge, though, please report back on the performance of the barrel. I want, and expect, to see BA meeting their 1MOA guarantee.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 2 6.5 Creedmoor barrels from BA and they both are sub MOA barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Hahaha I think what's why it's called the GFY.
    I know. I couldn't help myself!

Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    The beauty of a practical shooter. Very nice. I've wondered how the BA modern series holds groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Very nice build. Well, I mean, if quality components in a highly functional configuration with aesthetically pleasing clean lines is your thing...

I'm with feldge, though, please report back on the performance of the barrel. I want, and expect, to see BA meeting their 1MOA guarantee.
    Thanks, guys. I haven't shot this barrel for accuracy yet, but i've got a BA Hanson series barrel that will shoot sub MOA. I have high hopes that this will be similar in performance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads

[IMG]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/Deadwing76/C590B900-264D-4411-B4CE-E33029BF7886_zpsglcl53lp.jpg[IMG]
    Sexy.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/