Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Naytwan is there a reason you run the hand stop like that? You may also want to contact Chris at SMOS about the rail height.
    I will do that. I'll pull the optic and send him some pics. I'm not concerned about getting mine fixed but he may wanna know for others. That being said it could be the mur-1. I don't remember if I had the same issue previously. It was so tricky to line up so I'm not taking it off. Lol. As far as the hand stop? No particular reason I have it in that way. I just put it on. I switched it after the photo actually.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope all 100 handguards were purchased by WEVO members.
    hahaha......

Oh..really...sweet ill PM you my shipping info...

Back on track...these rails do look very good..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I figured Rich bought a case of them at least. Wish I would have bought more to be honest. Great fitment and feel.

Originally built this with a DD 12" fore end but just didn't like the feel.The Rainier Arms Rock Creek barrel is a mid profile barrel and combined with the DD fore end was too heavy in the nose even with the A2. Balance feels almost perfect with the SMOS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope all 100 handguards were purchased by WEVO members.
    Well now, that's quite amazing!
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I finally got back to assembling my upper with the Sugar Pine rail. Didn't get far. What the heck kind of barrel nut wrench that will accept a torque wrench do I use? All I can think of is an open end wrench on the flats and guesstimate. I have torqued enough nuts to be confident of getting in the 40-70 lbs range. How do you align so the top is level with receiver? Looks like you just get close then trial and error till it looks right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uffdaphil I'm not exactly sure but I believe that the SMOS rail installation is the same as a Noveske NSR. The following link is to Military Morons review of the NSR, it may provide some useful information.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers5.html
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Okay, I finally got back to assembling my upper with the Sugar Pine rail. Didn't get far. What the heck kind of barrel nut wrench that will accept a torque wrench do I use? All I can think of is an open end wrench on the flats and guesstimate. I have torqued enough nuts to be confident of getting in the 40-70 lbs range. How do you align so the top is level with receiver? Looks like you just get close then trial and error till it looks right.
    Crow's foot?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Crows Foot or a NSR wrench. I really hate NSR type barrel nuts. Crap design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Edited: nut on SMOS is not same as NSR.
    Last edited by titanse05; 21 May 2015 at 17:42.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys.I didn't know about the crowfoot. I hate spending cash on one-time use tools, but I might for piece of mind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys.I didn't know about the crowfoot. I hate spending cash on one-time use tools, but I might for piece of mind.
    You can get a whole set for about $10 at Harbor Freight so I'm sure just one will be relatively inexpensive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was impatient and the Amazon link was right there...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was impatient and the Amazon link was right there...
    I'm the same way ....lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Edited : nut on SMOS is not same as the NSR
    Last edited by titanse05; 21 May 2015 at 17:43.

Downloads
    Uploads
    27mm is 1 1/16" not 1 1/8".

Stay away from cheap crows foot wrenches. They flex and can cause inaccurate torque readings.

I also use 2 6" pieces of all thread and screw into the barrel nut mounting holes before I do my final torque. Makes it much easier to see the alignment of the barrel nut to the upper receiver. If you are using a good fixture to hold the barrel you can get the alignment perfect before you even slide the rail on the first time.