Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sinner, it's the bane of AR components design. There is no way to make something to work with all of the receivers out there, given the numerous dimensions and tolerances used by manufacturers that often don't adhere to the TDP.

We can't make different spec EMR-As for receivers with different thickness and geometry, so the EMR-A is designed to work with receivers that follow TDP specs and tolerances. This isn't an unusual approach, I think it may be the only approach.

Back when I was still a Battle Arms partner, in the very early days, and also when Bill Geissele himself picked up the phone when you called, I had a conversation with him about making our selectors work with his DMR triggers.

He had put it well, and I'm somewhat paraphrasing here: it's not the trigger or selector, it's the receivers. When there were only a few major manufacturers, there didn't used to be problems, but when every Bob and John is making them, we started seeing compatibility issues.

Nevertheless you brought up a good point about compatibility with thicker billet receivers, we need to clearly disclose that it's made for TDP spec, forged receivers, and may not work on out of spec (for that's the thicker receivers are) receivers.
    Last edited by Duffy; 8 July 2016 at 09:03.

Downloads
    Uploads
    got my stuff.. thanks and thanks for the extra goodies! Hopefully my Form1 comes back soon (aaaaaany day now) so I can assemble and get some pics for ya
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hope you like it, thank you Jim! :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Sinner, it's the bane of AR components design. There is no way to make something to work with all of the receivers out there, given the numerous dimensions and tolerances used by manufacturers that often don't adhere to the TDP.

We can't make different spec EMR-As for receivers with different thickness and geometry, so the EMR-A is designed to work with receivers that follow TDP specs and tolerances. This isn't an unusual approach, I think it may be the only approach.

Back when I was still a Battle Arms partner, in the very early days, and also when Bill Geissele himself picked up the phone when you called, I had a conversation with him about making our selectors work with his DMR triggers.

He had put it well, and I'm somewhat paraphrasing here: it's not the trigger or selector, it's the receivers. When there were only a few major manufacturers, there didn't used to be problems, but when every Bob and John is making them, we started seeing compatibility issues.

Nevertheless you brought up a good point about compatibility with thicker billet receivers, we need to clearly disclose that it's made for TDP spec, forged receivers, and may not work on out of spec (for that's the thicker receivers are) receivers.

I missed your reply. I could not agree more with what you said. When you really start to pay attention to critical dimensions on lowers its scary how much variance there is in the market offerings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We had never figured that a small part like the ambi selector would encounter so many tolerance stacking problems, none of which of our making, but it was a learning experience that benefits me to this day.

We know the average receiver widths and the TDP tolerances. Even within these narrow confines there is enough variance to either produce a gap under the lever, or be just right, such is the reality of forged receivers. Throw in billet receivers, and those manufacturers that I swear, don't care or haven't heard of TDP tolerances and tolerance stacking, it sure honed my customer service skills lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    So how long until we get to see the dimpled ABC/R? I have important decisions to make! Like whether I'm going to buy the serrated or dimpled version.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no decision to make as my ar308 just sits unfinished without a FCD bolt catch. I refuse to molest it with anything inferior.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We're out of ABC/R, while our dealers still have some, soon everyone will be out of them till this incoming production run. The dimpled and 308 version will both be available this Fall, we have no more accurate ETA I'm afraid, but they're being worked on/made.

Meanwhile, we're working with Wiley Arms on a gas block. Nothing fancy or adjustable, it might have a twist nobody has done but we don't know if it's doable yet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gas block? You don't say.. I need one of those too...
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't know I need an ambidextrous gas block for my lefty rifles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gas blocks and other components, maybe other larger parts too. Forward Controls has been slowly expanding its online store to include products we like that are not of our own manufacture, in addition to new Forward Controls designed components we're always working on.

The latest products to be added are from Vltor and B5 Systems.

I doubt if we will ever become a fully fledged and staffed super store as Rainier Arms in either eCommerce or physical format (there probably will never be a brick and mortar store), we just have small and achievable goals to be more useful and convenient to customers :)
    Last edited by Duffy; 26 July 2016 at 07:57.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Big store... Little store... I like what you've got and what you come up with.

There's several (more) of your components I'll be purchasing when the time comes.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the approach of adding products that you believe in. The "endorsement" is worth extra value. Hoping the vltor will be A5 kits.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A5 kits were ordered, they were out of everything we ordered last week. A shipment is in its way and I have no idea what they shipped me lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks to the wonderful folks at Northtech Defense, we're showing the dimpled ABC/R (patent pending) prototype (5.56mm model) for the first time. 7.62mm ABC/R will be available in both serrated (standard) and dimpled (no cost option) as well. ETA is TBA (sorry), what we're asking of these dimples are not easy to do and we will not release a half baked product :)