Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Thanks to the wonderful folks at Northtech Defense, we're showing the dimpled ABC/R (patent pending) prototype (5.56mm model) for the first time. 7.62mm ABC/R will be available in both serrated (standard) and dimpled (no cost option) as well. ETA is TBA (sorry), what we're asking of these dimples are not easy to do and we will not release a half baked product :)

I like what this is turning into.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks to the wonderful folks at Northtech Defense, we're showing the dimpled ABC/R (patent pending) prototype (5.56mm model) for the first time. 7.62mm ABC/R will be available in both serrated (standard) and dimpled (no cost option) as well. ETA is TBA (sorry), what we're asking of these dimples are not easy to do and we will not release a half baked product :)

I like it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    The small dimples are still being worked on, as you can see, the lowest 3 small dimples are larger (correct size) and the rest of the small dimples are not.

Dimples offer good all around traction from all directions, but they need to be of sufficient size and depth, and the dimple wall needs to be more vertical (i.e. not golf ball type shallow dimples) to do it. It was a challenge early on, so it was worked on several times to get right in rapid prototypes.

Downloads
    Uploads

I need this in my life.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    So... you gonna send me a test unit?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What if you drilled holes all the way through, instead of dimples? Instant lighter weight and tactile traction.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Joelski, I actually never thought about that. I'm not a fan of skeletonized control surfaces unless they serve a function other than light weight. Negative space adds nothing to the surface area, it does just the opposite. Though in this case, the paddles aren't skeletonized and surface area remains the same, with the paddles drilled all the way through, they most likely will lose structural integrity and not stand up to hard use. The upper paddle essentially becomes a perforated surface, like these perforated lines in paper to make it easier to tear
    Last edited by Duffy; 12 August 2016 at 13:57.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, okay I believe you, but I have a tough time grasping somebody could break these paddles, holes included. It's a robust chunk of metal!

The fireman in me understands though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    What if you drilled holes all the way through, instead of dimples? Instant lighter weight and tactile traction.
    Dimples > holes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hahaha mtdawg169

It'd be pretty hard to break the paddle even if perforated, the ABC/R's paddles are thicker than milspec. But it will draw criticism for trying to score fashion points, even if that was never the reason.

Removing material does weaken the object, often it's to the point where less rigid/strong part is still rigid/strong enough for its tasks and thus irrelevant. 5.56mm ABC/Rs have two lightening cuts to keep the weight close to that of a factory bolt catch, these cuts would fall into that category. I suspect a perforated paddle might still be strong enough, but that's removing a lot of material from a control surface many users use their palm to slap.

And the stigma of it being seen as a "life style" component is too much for me to bear

Downloads
    Uploads
    The dimples look difficult to get right. What's the advantage of this over the horizontal lines (which I like) or even a cross-hatch pattern?

Downloads
    Uploads

...And the stigma of it being seen as a "life style" component is too much for me to bear
    Say no more!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I already asked about the cross hatch. It wouldn't make sense to do 20 to match the controls on the battle kitty ambi lower.
    []

Downloads
    Uploads
    The horizontal serrations on the standard ABC/R are aggressive enough to be very effective, but they're good for only mitigating vertical movements. If your finger or palm approaches the paddle from the side (90 degree) or diagonally, horizontal serrations don't work as well.

Notice the widely spaced, and triangular ridges that differ quite a bit from the closely spaced and smaller serrations on a factory bolt catch. The difference they make are quite noticeable.

Photo courtesy of Nate, AKA NSZ85.

While dimples have less traction than straight serrations from a vertical approach, they're not one trick ponies. Regardless of angle of approach, they offer the same traction/resistance.

Re: cross hatch pattern, it remains to be an option we might pursue later, they just don't look very good to me, and kind of clash with the lines of an AR, but they do work well. We just need to find a way to make them look better
    Last edited by Duffy; 12 August 2016 at 15:15.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The horizontal serrations on the standard ABC/R are aggressive enough to be very effective, but they're good for only mitigating vertical movements. If your finger or palm approaches the paddle from the side (90 degree) or diagonally, horizontal serrations don't work as well.

Notice the widely spaced, and triangular ridges that differ quite a bit from the closely spaced and smaller serrations on a factory bolt catch. The difference they make are quite noticeable.

Photo courtesy of Nate, AKA NSZ85.

While dimples have less traction than straight serrations from a vertical approach, they're not one trick ponies. Regardless of angle of approach, they offer the same traction/resistance.

Re: cross hatch pattern, it remains to be an option we might pursue later, they just don't look very good to me, and kind of clash with the lines of an AR, but they do work well. We just need to find a way to make them look better
    Yeah, but you could do matching checkering for all the 1911 guys who need to fashion-accessorize. :p

Seriously, Roger, I'm crazy stoked for the dimpled ones to be released so I can use them in my next couple builds. I've already replaced the bolt catches on all my rifles but one with the ABC/Rs. I know you probably don't have any plans to build a safety selector, but I wish you would. I'm not sure what BAD did with the latest revision to their short-throw selectors, but they don't work with Geissele or LaRue triggers, and if you contact BAD they act like it's your fault.