Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Classy and experimental

Well I'm getting in deep with this one. What started out as a simple idea has blown up and blossomed into what's shaping up to be a top shelf component experimental build. Be prepared, this may turn into a wall of text.

I wanted to start shooting further and gain FPS. I also wanted to play around some and see just how smooth, flat, and soft I could keep the rifle while doing it. I also ALSO wanted to keep it reasonably light and well balanced, with respect to the fact this would be a longer rifle running a heavier profiled barrel than the ultra light ones currently in vogue.

Can I do it? Will it work? Well here's where I'm at.
    Here's the build list and the why's.

UCWRG Billet lower. Why? Several reasons, not the least of which is just because it's cool and coveted. I like large magwells, and as a former machinist I can appriciate the immaculately clean, complex machine work this lower is laden with. I've also been an avid BAD lever user since inception and I'm eager to try the mag release/bolt hold open feature in comparison.

The grip is my stippled UCWRG Grip 23. I wanted to keep my Umbrella parts together and couldn't find another, so instead I jacked it from my other rifle and ordered a B5 to take its place.

The trigger is a Giessele SD3G. I love my SSA-E but want to see if I can go even faster with a trigger designed to do just that. I got the flat bow so my finger will never be confused as to which trigger it's on. I installed it with the 3.5# trigger spring.

Take down pins and safety are all from B.A.D. - No further explanation required.

The buffer system is a DD carbine length, with a carbine buffer and Springco "white" spring. More on this in a bit.

The upper will probably be a San Tan because I think it would look sweet with the Umbrella lower and is fairly light for a billet. I *may* try and hold off for an Umbrella upper just because Umbrella, but probably not.

The rest of the upper reciever group, this is where things are starting to get a little experimental for me. In the pursuit of soft and smooth I'll be running a 17" rifle gassed barrel pushing a lightweight bcg and buffer. Not something I've done before. 18" seems to be the magic length when it comes to velocity, with substantial velocity gains per inch up to that length, and marginal to lousy beyond. 17" will get me close, while being somewhat lighter and handier, but more importantly while being smoother/softer than an 18" on rifle gas.

The barrel is ordered once Black Hole contacts me for payment info. Specs on the barrel are 17" 1/8 twist, rifle length, .740 profile in front of the gas block and .780 behind with honeycomb fluting. Allegedly the honeycomb fluting is the best for stiffness and dampening vibration. I read an in depth article about it and the science seems sound, but we'll see. If nothing else it'll bring down barrel weight and look sweet while doing it. I've also seen several sources citing that BHW barrels tend to be fast which will be added bonus for me if it's true. I intend to chrono it and find out for myself.

Handguard will almost certainly be the new Mega wedge lock, probably in 14 or 16". It's supposed to be super light, Mega quality, and it'll let me use Magpul's M-lok rail panels. I'm huge on interface, and so far no keymod panels have struck me as super awesome.

The bcg is going to be a Titanium Mystic Black from Cryptic Coatings. The price makes me shudder, but Viper's reviews have been outstanding and it'll give me the lighter weight I'm after while supposedly being even smoother than the NiB bcg's I've shot and own. Being gorgeous is another perk and it'll look great with the other components I've spec'd.

This brings me back to the buffer assembly. I originally wanted to run a Vltor A5, strip down the buffer and put in lighter weights and use Springco's A5 spring, but when I called them to discuss this they said their A5 spring was only meant for the standard A5 weight buffer, and that it likely wouldn't be reliable with lightweight components and rifle gas. They recommended instead a carbine buffer and their "white" spring so that's what I got. I may still yet screw around though, by swapping out carbine weights into an A5 buffer and trying a Tubb Flatwire spring. I still need to call them about that.

Muzzle device... I'm not sure. I freaking love my EFAB, but for some reason still find myself considering a few others. Micor is no longer a thing so that rules them out. The national match A2 reportedly tightens up groups by about 1/4 MOA on about 1/4 of the rifles it's installed on... which really are not selling numbers to me. I could get a voodoo manimal A2 which would give A2 performance and a seamless look on the barrel. Again... not sure.

Optics, not sure here either. I'm wanting to shoot further so I want magnification and am already intent on running Dueck Defense offset irons. I haven't had the best luck with variable mag scopes and I certainly didn't appriciate the weight, at least not with the Nightforce 1-4x I used to have. Possibly an Acog. Maybe a TA11 for the eye relief and FOV, or a TA02 so I can control the intensity of the chevron. I'm not sure however if the battery compartment on the TA02 wouldn't block out the offset irons.

The sling will be the FTW carbine/long gun sling. It's pricy but looks to be super well made and with a special eye towards "slinging up" to help stabilize the gun.

Anyways, here's the pics of where I'm at...

Oh yes, the BCM end plate. The star makes it important since it's on an Umbrella lower. Umbrella, Resident Evil, S.T.A.R.s

Congratulations if you made it through all that. I'm open to opinions and input.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 25 April 2015 at 17:33. Reason: Grammar
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great start to a full rifle and youve done a great job with that lower! I will say its one of the nicest lowers as far as finish goes. Im very curious to see how the 17" barrel works for you. I love the honeycomb fluting that BHW does. I think im going to go with a CMT UPUH-1 upper for mine. The lines match really well. Handguard will probably be the SMOS MLock cerakoted in Sniper grey like my furniture. All in all I think you've got a great idea on how the build will pan out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! Eager to see how yours turns out too. From what I've seen your color scheme is going to be pretty slick. I'm just going black since I'm not sure what else I'd do and I haven't made a legit EBR in awhile.

Gotta keep my eyes open for an Umbrella CH. I think it'd be a sweet match to the San Tan upper, and obviously branded to match the lower. You got a build thread up yet? I didn't see one.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Thanks! Eager to see how yours turns out too. From what I've seen your color scheme is going to be pretty slick. I'm just going black since I'm not sure what else I'd do and I haven't made a legit EBR in awhile.

Gotta keep my eyes open for an Umbrella CH. I think it'd be a sweet match to the San Tan upper, and obviously branded to match the lower. You got a build thread up yet? I didn't see one.
    Thanks and no I haven't done that I've just been adding pics to the umbrella thread as I go with pics. I'm thinking about one of those Rock Creek RA barrels for this build. still not 100% though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Rock Creek ought to be pretty awesome I'd think. 16"? What else are you looking at?
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads

Classy and experimental

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    The Rock Creek ought to be pretty awesome I'd think. 16"? What else are you looking at?
    Yea 16" for this one. Also eyeing a NTD or BAD barrel as well. Of course it's hard to go wrong with a good RA match grade barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I probably couldn't shoot the difference between any of them. I'd like to shoot the BAD just to see if/how much it opens up at high heat.

The RA seems like a lot of bang for the buck and limited runs push up cool points.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice start can't wait to see you he end

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's good looking. I don't even have an Umbrella Billet Lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did they give you timeline when to expect your Ti BCG?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Did they give you timeline when to expect your Ti BCG?
    No, they just said they had 3 currently going through the works.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    that has got to be the sweetest looking lower Ive ever seen. I have a timney drop in on my pistol and got an SD3G after much review between the timney, tac-con and SD3G and i am highly disappointed how it feels compared to the timney. I cant shoot fast with it at all. Oh well, ill just go practice some more!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    that has got to be the sweetest looking lower Ive ever seen. I have a timney drop in on my pistol and got an SD3G after much review between the timney, tac-con and SD3G and i am highly disappointed how it feels compared to the timney. I cant shoot fast with it at all. Oh well, ill just go practice some more!
    I agree I do like how it looks so far. As for the SD3G, I'm still withholding judgement until I can shoot it. Thus far I like the flat trigger far better than I thought I would. The pull and "break" is certainly unique and I need to get some time behind it. I had considered a Wilson TTU but I've gotten to where any trigger over 4# feels heavy to me just because I've been behind an SSA-E for so long. The Rise Armament trigger seems cool, but I didn't know it was a thing until after I bought and installed the SD3G. My issue with IT however is that initial reviews are weighing pulls of around 5#, a good bit higher than the advertised 3.5. Damn I'd still love to try one though.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    its so beautiful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't go wrong with the flat bow. My favorite trigger (depending on application of course) is the SD-C and the SD-E

Nice build, when I saw the stippling on the grip, it made me think... where's Battle Cock been lately?!