Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard of some of these San Tan uppers being tight; would be interesting to see what the upper's lugs mic'd at.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I'm fighting the urge to try the Rise Armament trigger, but it is sexy. I do pretty well with the SD3G with the heavier springs so the 5 lbs. pull shouldn't bother me.

Looks like a slightly revised elf 3gun trigger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard of some of these San Tan uppers being tight; would be interesting to see what the upper's lugs mic'd at.
    I will let you know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update

So this is going to be a lot less experimental than previously thought. Over the weekend I experimented with changing out and swapping/mixing various buffers and springs. This included a Carbine buffer, an H, an ST-T2, and a Vltor A5 standard weight. Springs were a Springco White, Springco Blue, a Tubb CS Flatwire, and a Springco Green (for the A5). All possible combinations were explored, except for the A5 which had to stay with its Green spring and in its own tube. Further, all combinations were explored in two rifles, a 14.5" and a 16" both on middy gas. The winner for smoothest was the ST-T2 on the Springco Blue spring, on both rifles. This kind of surprised me, as it was even smoother than my A5. Also, and I know most of you know this, but as buffer and spring weight were decreased, felt recoil became sharper.

The plan had been to run lightweight components (bcg/buffer) with the aim of reducing recoil via reduced reciprocating mass, as is popular among 3-gunners. However, it seems that without ALSO running a full on brake that this would be counter productive. This has caused something of a drastic left turn with in direction I'm going with this rifle. I've 86'd the plans for a 17" barrel as well as all plans to run lightweight components. Instead I'm just going to run an 18" rifle gas barrel. I KNOW Ill get 18" velocities out of an 18" barrel, and reliability margins will also be brought back into known safe regions.

After some searching, I'm now eyeballing the Daniel Defense S2W rifle gas barrel. Weights listed for this barrel however are all over the map, with Daniel Defense listing the 18" as being 2.18 lbs which is lighter than their listed weights for the same profile 16", and Primary Arms had the barrel listed as weighing in at 44.96 oz. Pretty big disparity. So I called DD and they told me it weighed 2.5 lbs with the pinned GB, which sounds pretty manageable. I recently shot a 20" BCM fluted SAM-R which was a hefty 42 oz, stripped. Built out and wearing a 15" Troy Alpha, it wasn't exactly what I'd call handy, but it wasn't SO bad either. Still though, I'd be more than happy coming in well under that weight. I'm still waiting to see specs on the new Mega Wedgelock once released, but I'm also now looking at the BCM KMR pretty hard as I KNOW it's light.

Also, I shot the Umbrella lower this weekend to get a feel for the SD3G trigger. Yup, it took some getting used to. Once acclimated though, MAN that trigger is fast. I also used it to shoot out to 300 yards, and actually prefer it over my SSA-E even for that. VERY satisfied.

I'm back to the drawing board on the BCG. I'd still like to try a Cryptic, but they haven't picked up their phone and are still out of stock. I just resorted to email and so I guess I'll see what they say. Also looking at the Mad Black BCG from MadCustomCoatings.

Also ALSO, I got to handle a Vortex PST 2.5-10 in a shop this weekend and quiet liked it. That'll probably be the scope I get, as I shot both a fixed 10x scope and a TA02 ACOG out to 300 this weekend and preferred the scope.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a big fan of the SD3G also, it's currently my favorite. Have you decided on an upper receiver yet?
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Five thousandths larger than any other upper I own. Exactly what I was hoping for. I have a well used SBR'ed lower that was sloppy with every upper I have tried. This fit like a glove.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a Fathom forged sitting here that is at high risk of being used. Only reason I'd go another way is if I decide to be super anal because it's a LOT more grey than the Umbrella lower, even after being oiled.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    My Lantac UAR has a nice black to it, it's not as dark as my BAD-15 lower though.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I thought about the Lantac too, I just don't like huge prominant billboard logo's on uppers.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok guys. I need help.

Since nixing the idea of a 17" barrel and lightweight components I've been in something of a state of flux.

I still want to shoot farther and preferably with more oomph in velocity for better terminal effect, but I've kinda become lost in choosing a barrel.

I'm half thinking about just saying Screw It and getting a KAC LPR Mod. 2 upper. That would be pretty freaking sweet, but I'd be inclined to install a thinner/lighter forend such as maybe a KMR to reduce weight and bulk (I'm accustomed to NSR and CMR profiles) if I even could, and I find myself concerned about the Krieger barrel life. I've read that they start to lose accuracy after only a few thousand rounds and rebarreling a KAC E3 doesn't sound appealing. This kind of lead me down memory lane comparing SS barrels vs. chrome lined.

Polygonal rifling tends to last longer than standard in SS, so there's Noveske and Black Hole.

Or... I could go melonite, or chrome lined. Does anyone make an 18" chrome lined barrel...?

Turns out yes. Criterion was an interesting find, an offshoot of Krieger that offers 18" chrome lined barrels that are reportedly .5 MOA. Heavy though.

For melonite there's Voodoo Innovations, who apparently makes other offerings besides pencil profiles, and does so promising outrageously high muzzle velocities. Palmetto has 18"s in both the middy and rifle gas variety. Both also heavy. But man, if their velocity claims are true... check out their charts at the bottom of this page.
    http://vtsupply.com/adams-arms-5-56-...15-barrel.html

Or... I could get the KAC. Problem is still the same as mentioned above. I COULD send it to WMD and have the barrel melonited, but that's a lot to invest when I'm also thinking of swapping forends and how much REALLY does melonite do for a barrel?

Thread on Criterion barrels at M4:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....-Wylde-barrels

Criterion Barrels:
    http://criterionbarrels.com/barrels/ar-15

Voodoo Barrels at Palmetto:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...556-m-t-l.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...556-m-t-l.html
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Micro MOA 17.3" Rifle Gas Fluted 5.56 NATO 1/7 Barrel

Black Nitrided http://www.blacknitride.com/whatis.html
    Rifle length gas system
    TRACK Rifling(single edged polygonal) http://micromoa.com/micromoa-barrel-info

http://micromoa.com/17-3-rifle-gas-f...to-1-7-barrel/
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Ok guys. I need help.

Since nixing the idea of a 17" barrel and lightweight components I've been in something of a state of flux.....

Snip...
    Rainier's hardened stainless barrels have a high-round count life...I wouldn't lump them in with just any stainless.

Some of their match stainless barrels (with or without 5R rifling) are very very nice. A little weighty but nice

Downloads
    Uploads
    Micro MOA 17.3" Rifle Gas Fluted 5.56 NATO 1/7 Barrel

Black Nitrided http://www.blacknitride.com/whatis.html
    Rifle length gas system
    TRACK Rifling(single edged polygonal) http://micromoa.com/micromoa-barrel-info

http://micromoa.com/17-3-rifle-gas-f...to-1-7-barrel/
    I just had a legit Lego movie "Oh MY G-O-S-H!" moment in my living room. GOST you're my new favorite person.

Ordering the non-fluted.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got the 12.5" but I haven't finished her yet. I think the 17.3" has been out less than a month. Have you decided which BCG you're going with?
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    No. Still undecided. I'm on the call list at Cryptic. I've also got a Sharp's reliabolt that I've just had sitting around for quite some time, might be worth contacting them to see if I could just purchase one of their balanced carriers. MadCustomCoatings also has their Mad Black BCG which seems promising.

http://madcustomcoating.com/mad-black/

You have other mystery awesomeness I don't know about?
    -One Nation, Under God