Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post

MicroMOA 17.3" barrel made it but is off in the mail again. I've got a friend who has been shooting high power and lapping barrels since before my parents met, the barrel is on its way to him so he can check it with a bore scope and lap it.

Did you go through the break in procedure mentioned on our site?:http://micromoa.com/micromoa-barrel-info/
    My partner is the barrel guy and I think I recall him telling me not lap these barrels with this hybrid / polygonal rifling.
    Robert - President of MicroMOA http://micromoa.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Currently heading my way I've got a 15" BCM KMR, an Aero upper I found still on sale, and a FC LDFA. That's everything needed to turn this into a full working gun.

...unfortunately that puts me at something of an impasse as the moment of truth has arrived. A large part of me still wants to stick with the original plan, and I don't want to regret not doing it. I've hashed it out. If I go that route I'd use a Boomfab bolt carrier, a Balios Lite upper, and an SLR Ti adjustable gas block. Not exactly a cheap proposal... but DAMN it should be sweet.

I'd end up selling the upper with the LDFA and the Lantac BCG all here, unused.

If I use what's coming, it would still be a good gun, and it would be done sooner, and with no more money spent. Catch is I lament over my forend choice on my 14.5, which can't be switched out. I don't want to have similar grievances with this rifle.

Anyone here got a crystal ball or scrying abilities?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by amphibian View Post
    Did you go through the break in procedure mentioned on our site?:http://micromoa.com/micromoa-barrel-info/
    My partner is the barrel guy and I think I recall him telling me not lap these barrels with this hybrid / polygonal rifling.
    Well crap. Just saw this. No I didn't follow break in procedures as the gun isn't finished yet, and it had a massive burr in the bore where the gas port was drilled.

It should be back in my hands tomorrow. Hope I didn't **** anything up...

Also some kind of note or disclaimer on your site would be helpful regarding that.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well crap. Just saw this. No I didn't follow break in procedures as the gun isn't finished yet, and it had a massive burr in the bore where the gas port was drilled.

Also some kind of note or disclaimer on your site would be helpful regarding that.
    I got clarification from my partner that it just doesn't 'need' to lapped. He said something like, 'the barrels are 2 tenths of a thousandths in concentricity' and that you are going to get more deviation in the nitriding than the bore itself and the break in procedure mentioned in the link above was what the manufacturer of the blanks told us to do rather than lapping....basically a lazy way to do the lapping but if you were so inclined to lap the barrel it wouldn't hurt anything just doing the procedure we mentioned is faster and easier.
    Robert - President of MicroMOA http://micromoa.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by amphibian View Post
    I got clarification from my partner that it just doesn't 'need' to lapped. He said something like, 'the barrels are 2 tenths of a thousandths in concentricity' and that you are going to get more deviation in the nitriding than the bore itself and the break in procedure mentioned in the link above was what the manufacturer of the blanks told us to do rather than lapping....basically a lazy way to do the lapping but if you were so inclined to lap the barrel it wouldn't hurt anything just doing the procedure we mentioned is faster and easier.
    *Whew* Thank you for the clarification!
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw V7 had an Ionbond Titanium carrier, same weight as the Cryptic I had been previously eyeing at 5.7 oz. Also compatible with a forward assist so I went ahead and got it. I also got an SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block so I can tune as necessary. I thought about getting the Ti version, but it was 60$ more for .5 oz of weight savings, so, no thanks.

I figure I'll try the V7 and if I like it once I get it dialed in then awesome, and the Lantac will be held in reserve for a future build. If not, I'll pull the Lantac into service.

I got the V7 carrier today. Yup. It's light. It's also very clean, cleaner than the Lantac. The laser engraving is also nice. I must say, thus far I've been very impressed with all the V7 components I've handled, and I've handled a few by now.

I've got the remaining parts to build up the BCG. It's going to be something of a hodgepodge, but it'll be a NICE hodgepodge. The bolt is the Nickel Teflon coated S7 reliabolt, and I went ahead and installed a BCM extra power extractor spring with a black insert. I have an extra Nickel Boron cam pin that I'll use, and the firing pin is a Voodoo Innovations "Lifecoat" firing pin, which I'm pretty sure is melonite/nitride. I also had a spare cotter pin to complete everything. I'm kinda debating using the domed cam pin from the Lantac. We'll see.

Concept pic with the Lantac domed cam pin.

Just need the gas block to show up and the upper will be off to Rainier for assembly!
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea I need to sell the 308 so I can finish mine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw V7 had an Ionbond Titanium carrier, same weight as the Cryptic I had been previously eyeing at 5.7 oz. Also compatible with a forward assist so I went ahead and got it. I also got an SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block so I can tune as necessary. I thought about getting the Ti version, but it was 60$ more for .5 oz of weight savings, so, no thanks.

I figure I'll try the V7 and if I like it once I get it dialed in then awesome, and the Lantac will be held in reserve for a future build. If not, I'll pull the Lantac into service.

I got the V7 carrier today. Yup. It's light. It's also very clean, cleaner than the Lantac. The laser engraving is also nice. I must say, thus far I've been very impressed with all the V7 components I've handled, and I've handled a few by now.

Just need the gas block to show up and the upper will be off to Rainier for assembly!
    That is one hot looking BCG.....never thought of piecing together a BCG before.
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just went thru this thread..

very nice pile of parts sir..looking good..

Killer looking BCG

Downloads
    Uploads
    That BCG looks pretty cool. Are you going with a regular cotter pin or a KNS perma pin (or something else)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Mecha_Arms View Post
    That BCG looks pretty cool. Are you going with a regular cotter pin or a KNS perma pin (or something else)?
    I'll probably just use the regular college pin. I have a KNS perma pin, but it's kind of a pain to take down the bcg with as it has to be pushed out through the opposite side vent hole.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool BCG but the only person that will know it's special is you... Why they can't even put a logo that would peek out of the ejector port is beyond me.

I can see the engineer meeting now. "OK guys, Phil suggested putting the logo where no one can see it on our $400 titanium BCG. BRILLIANT!" "why didnt i think of that?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually prefer that they hid their logo. Do others need to know it's special?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

Did they nitride over the burr or are they drilling the gas port after nitriding process? Certainly not confidence inspiring to hear they are not deburring the port.