Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good AK style starter rifle?

I'm going to finally buckle down and buy an AK. One friend recommends a WASR10, the other recommends a Yugo M70. I've held a customized WASR10, it was a very nice rifle but I don't know much about it.

Which would you recommend and why? I have little to no knowledge about AK's which is why I'm buying one. Looking to customize it as well (AR-15 buffer stock adapter, pistol grip, railed handguard, etc) so thats something to keep in mind. Guess I want another project gun and figured I should try out the AK platform.

Thanks
    Last edited by odmichael; 26 April 2015 at 23:41.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd recommend a Century Arms C39 when they are back in-stock. Milled receiver, chromoly nitrided barrel on the V2 and chrome lined on the V1; don't know if you can get a V1 anymore. They are about the cheapest AK's you'll find with these upgrades. The quality is very good also, as good as the higher end ones in my opinion.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    My suggestion would be to look into Arsenal. Keep in mind these us all come in parts kits to the US then US made parts are added to meet 922r requirements. When put together the dealers don't have trained people doing it so sights are canted, parts are poorly put in etc.
    I know Saiga is looking to open a US plant, I can attest to them being pretty stinking nice for an AK variant.

If you want THE AK check out Chris Butler at AKUSA or Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics. Bit an Arsenal should do you well. They are put together nicely no canted sights and you don't have to worry about it blowing up in your face.
    I apologize if this doesn't make sence , I'm typing with a screaming one year old

Downloads
    Uploads
    Century continues to make stupid decisions IMO. They finally adopt standard AKM furniture on the V2 but drop the fantastic chrome lined barrel of the V1 for a coated barrel. Their quality control has always been suspect also. Seen more than a few canted sights and poor riveting on their guns.

Arsenal are the best AK's you can buy on a price vs return comparison.

And I own an AK that came with all the tacticrap fore end and rails but real AK's wear wood furniture. Buy a Mutant if you want rails and crap because it really does not work well on the platform.

But like building AR's from the ground up I find buying a parts kit and building era accurate AK's to be the most rewarding. The downside is you need some specific tools that make the initial gun or two very cost prohibitive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a century V1 and was very disappointed even for an AK. Good ideas, poor execution.

1. Safety indent was 1-2mm out of place so the safety was extremely difficult to engage (from bottom going up). At the corner there is usually a small indent to start the safety moving. They missed it by a hair. How does that get past QC?????
    2. Wood was horribly misaligned
    3. Sight was canted (common AK thing but cmon... on a brand new style weapon?)
    4. Rear sight FELL OFF when shooting the first time. No locktight is my guess.
    5. Muzzle brake was loose and wobbly (threading was just off i think)
    6. furniture is not standard (i didnt know that prior)

Overall, highly disappointing. I sent pictures to their head engineer and he sounded surprised about the safety indent being off. Then was like "oh yeah, looks like we need to move the CNC over just a bit". They ended up replacing the firearm. Most issues were better but the safety indent is now only 1/2mm off. Still hard to engage. I just filed it a bit.

I would add that yes, Arsenals are great but if the OP is looking for a starter AK, that probably isnt what he is looking for. I'd say a Yugo would be the way to go. Most WASRs are better now too. I've seen Yugos around $500 online lately. They have a chrome bolt but not barrel i think which isnt a huge deal if you clean your barrel. Nice rifles for $500 if you're patient.

My dad used to have a norinco that i shot when i was a kid. I shot a few thousand rounds from it, never cleaned it then it sat under a bed at my grandfathers house for about 15 years. I remembered it and took it back home last year. Shot fine, no jams. I cleaned it for a few hours after lol. It's definitely happier now.
    Last edited by Kopis; 28 April 2015 at 06:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been looking at picking up a Century Arms Iraqi Contractor WASR 10
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go to www.classicfirearms.com

They have AK's at decent prices. For $500 you can order this one and it's US made.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/aksp...kbyiooncakm247

They have a few others in stock going up to the $550 price range. The Hungarian AMD 65 AK-47's have a forward grip and work better with 20 round mags. 30's do work but the forward grip makes getting them in and out a bit tight.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Id double check Classic's pricing too on one of the slickdeals search engines or something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    Id double check Classic's pricing too on one of the slickdeals search engines or something.
    I think you may mean slickguns.com
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Go to www.classicfirearms.com

They have AK's at decent prices. For $500 you can order this one and it's US made.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/aksp...kbyiooncakm247

They have a few others in stock going up to the $550 price range. The Hungarian AMD 65 AK-47's have a forward grip and work better with 20 round mags. 30's do work but the forward grip makes getting them in and out a bit tight.
    That looks like an Inter Ordinance AK. I've heard bad things on the build quality...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been keeping an eye on a few Arsenal models but they list the 5.56 ones as being out of production. Anyone know why?

Edit: found the old press release that explains it. Too bad.
    Last edited by Slippers; 30 April 2015 at 05:02.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can still find the 5.56 Arsenal's around. Seem to hover around 1k for NOS ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    You can still find the 5.56 Arsenal's around. Seem to hover around 1k for NOS ones.
    I see the major drawback to them is the lack of magazines. There used to be a 5.56mm model Saiga SGL, but doesn't look like they have that listed anymore, either.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Circle 10 mags are still in production. K-Var seems to always have them in stock. Even during the last madness they were around.

Downloads
    Uploads