Downloads
    Uploads

Best way to do prints?

I've been asked about having some prints done of a few photos. Since this is all new to me, I'm not sure how I should be having prints done up. Is there a particular method, material, etc? Is there a format that's best for having large prints done?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also interested

Downloads
    Uploads
    Believe it or not... I think Costco. Stick's done some for friends and Costco has done a great job.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Believe it or not... I think Costco. Stick's done some for friends and Costco has done a great job.
    Any chance you can hit him up for details such as poster vs photo print, glossy or matte, etc?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    Any chance you can hit him up for details such as poster vs photo print, glossy or matte, etc?
    Sure... but in the mean time I think Pzyik and Udaff have prints in hand from Stick, made by Costco, they could probably give you details as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am on a photography forum and this topic comes up A LOT. We have had numerous discussions on this.

If you want to do it in canvas though I have the ins on that from a very professional guy.

It all depends if you want the shot glossy or more matte or about 100 different options... and how big.

Here are some excerpts from a recent discussion on the topic. Not sure if this is what you're after but it might help.

----

Printing Images---Different Papers?
    I am still pretty new to photography, so much that I have never printed an image before.

Is there some place that I can be directed to, or possibly someone who can share...

What are the different kinds of papers and mediums for printing?

I have seen some canvas wraps that are extremely nice, but the printer for that is super expensive...There is a company in a major city nearby (about an hour + away from me who can print that if I ever need it)...so I want to start with the basics of paper only.

What kinds of papers are there and what are the pro's/cons of them?

I have a bunch of other questions as well (such as what constitutes a good printer if I were to purchase one)...but for now my question is focused on the paper only...that way I can go to a print service and get whatever images I want printed done for me...I just need to know 'printed on what'...

I would like to become much more versed in this.

---

As far as branding goes, your best bet is usually to buy the same brand as your printer, as it saves you most of the hassle of finding the right calibration profile.

As for paper types, there are a lot of different types! Here's a couple off the top of my head:
    Gloss: shiny, produces sharp details and punchy colors but you might have to deal with glare
    Matte: avoids glare issue from gloss, but typically is less sharp and contrasty
    Semigloss/pearl: The compromise between gloss and matte
    Canvas: Expensive but you get that awesome fabric texture
    Metallic: Like gloss to the next level, really makes colors pop but a serious pain to work with
    Regular printer paper: great for documents, shit for anything else
    Poster: A lot like gloss, 'cept cheaper. Colors and contrast pop a tad more in my experience, but you lose color accuracy, great for presentations and graphs though.

---

Adpo's right on the money regarding the differences between papers.

It's also worth pointing out that different types of papers can display different gamuts, and this difference can even be seen between the same product from different manufacturers. For example, Fuji Crystal archive Glossy paper will look different from a brand of Kodak glossy paper. To get exact results from your screen onto print, you'll have to have some know-how, patience, and money to create an accurate profile for each specific paper type and brand for your specific printer.

I find that glossy papers and metallic papers look rather plasticy and show fingerprints like no other. I prefer the texture that matte or pearl images provide. If you plan on mounting the pictures behind glass, the difference between Matte and Gloss will be less noticeable, however. Also worth noting is how different types of inks are handled by different types of paper. Inkjet dye looks quite nice on gloss, but pigment based inks tend to perform better on matte. Since I prefer the less plasticy look of matte and have my photos printed with pigment based inks, I typically print on matte.

Instead of investing a heap of time and money into getting my own printer, ink, paper, and all the paraphernalia that goes with it, I get my prints done at my local photography shop. They have far nicer equipment than I can ever be able to afford, offer a wider variety of papers than I could keep on hand, and provide the expertise to consistently do a great job. Also, I don't have to worry about inks drying up when they're not used, or constantly having to clean the cartridge heads, or facing smudges from dye based inks. I just asked the fellows who work there for the ICC profiles for their printers and printed out a few test images. After a few tweaks over the course of an afternoon, I was profiled and ready to go. Lots of other people enjoy the 'at home' printing process. I, however, find it massively frustrating. But, that's just me.

----

Each to his own, but I find printing to be one of the most enjoyable and rewarding aspects of photography. To me, it is the completion of the whole process, and I do not want to relinquish control to a lab technician.

I print with an Epson 3880. When I first started printing 3 1/2 years ago, I used a variety of glossy papers, finally settling on Canson Platine. However, in the past year, I have discovered matte papers, which I now use almost exclusively for fine art purposes. I prefer smooth mattes in which the surface virtually disappears. This is their great advantage over glossy and pearl papers, in which surface reflections detract from the image, even when framed behind glass. Matte papers have lower Dmax (blackness levels) and narrower color gamuts, but it doesn't seem to matter much, IMO. They just look better. My favorite matte papers are Epson Hot Press Natural and Bright for color and Museo Portfolio Rag for B&W. It is essential that you use a good profile and the proper media settings for you printer.

I would suggest that you get sample packs for some of the papers that you are considering. Good luck, and have fun printing.

----

Personally, I enjoy printing stuff on my own. Sure, calibration and profiling is a major PITA, but it all seems worth it when you have a beautiful 13x19 print of your photo coming out onto the tray. For myself, I've got an old HP 8750 and I go between HP's photo papers and Ilford's Gallerie papers

----

Printing is the natural finale in the process of MAKING a photograph and in the grand scheme it is the most complex and time consuming step but the enjoyment of holding a fine large-format print on your hands is un-parallel. To do it right, you must invest in a printer with pigmented inks and use quality media for it. It can certainly be expensive depending on the amount of printing and experimentation.

Regarding “paper” choices your option range from actual papers, to real canvas, to all kinds of specialty media like aluminum, fabric, vinyl, and many others.

For home printing paper is the more realistic choice. Canvas prints look great, but unless you have a large format printer, the final print will be very small since you need 3-4 inches to wrap the canvas around the frame.

Regarding finishes you can think of two general categories, “Glossy” which also includes semi-gloss, luster, satin, etc., and “Matte”. Generally speaking “glossy” prints can show a bit more detail and contrast, but they have that “drugstore print look” that many find un-appealing. On the other hand a well-made print on heavy matte paper can convey the look of a fine art print with a bit of muted tones and no reflections.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a link to the Epson Website:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/V...seBVCookie=yes

I am friends with the guy in the video and he will probably print for you and ship it if I ask him to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check your local newspaper. Most local newspaper offices offer the service at a reasonable price and it also helps keep that local paper in business.

I do all my own printing. I just by the photo paper at the local newspaper and have them cut it to photo size for me or postcard size for me. I also print postcards for my wife when she wants them.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may want to check with your local portrait photographers. Almost all the businesses that do family portraits have went digital. Just see who they use. At least that way you'll be able to see the quality of the printing first hand.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another option that I've done every time I move is to go to a custom frame shop and ask for a referral to a print shop they trust. I don't mean going to Michael's, but to a legit custom shop that frames lots of various items and pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depending on how many you want to print, you could also look into places like Flickr and Shutterfly. I got a book done by Flick and the print quality was excellent. Their prints are mounted, which may or may not be a benefit for you. I've not seen Shutterfly's printing, but I would think it would be comparable.