Downloads
    Uploads

SB Tactical sues over Shockwave pistol brace

Ben at AR15News just posted that the maker of the SB-15 pistol brace is suing Shockwave Industries, the owner and KAK industries for "cosmetic Infringement". They're claiming it too closely resembles their design. More can be found in the link provided but I think this is absolutely crazy. The two are barely even in the same league...

http://www.ar15news.com/2015/05/20/s...l-maker-sb-15/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone is mad they came up with a better design than they did. Bummer for Shockwave and KAK, hopefully it will be dropped without too much money into legal counsel. I don't see how anyone could see those as comparable other than the fact that they are both AR pistol brace assemblies. If anything it is just going to be bad publicity for the SB, which is already ugly as sin.

Not sure if you have noticed it yet though but the KAK tube whistles when you charge the weapon lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is just a last ditch effort to save an inferior product from falling to the wayside. I never purchased a SB-15 because of the gaudy looks and weight. I did recently purchase a Shockware and KAK tube for a pistol build and it isn't even close to a SB-15 (and that is a very good thing).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't own either, so I can't really comment, but lawsuits of course are never a good thing for either party.

You may have heard the news that Shockwave, the makers of the Shockwave Blade AR Pistol Stabilizer, were being sued by SB Tactical of the SB-15 Arm Brace fame. I personally have reviewed/used both products and was really surprised to hear about the law suit against Martin Ewer, Shockwave and KAK Industry as the Blade really is nothing at all like the SB-15 and works completely different. The SB-15 is designed to wrap around your arm and is made from a soft rubber material. The Blade is designed to create friction against the side of your forearm and is made of a hard polymer material. Come to find out the law suit has more to do with the looks of the Blade than anything else which again makes no sense as they really don’t look alike in my opinion.

Martin Ewer of Shockwave Technologies said:

To ensure that my design was free and clear of any patent entanglements, I did my due diligence, hiring a patent attorney to review my device against everything else out there. After exhaustive research, my attorney wrote a Freedom to Operate letter on July 30, 2014, stating that my device did not infringe on any utility patents or design patents on record, including those of Alessandro “Alex” Bosco. With specific regard to Bosco’s design patent D706,896 for the SigTac SB-15, my attorney wrote: “[This is] not germane to your invention.”

I launched the Blade in early March of this year (2015). Much to my surprise—and that of everybody I’ve told this story to—NST Global LLC (aka SB Tactical aka Alessandro Bosco aka Alex Bosco) filed a lawsuit against my company within just two months of the Blade hitting the market. His claim? That I am infringing on his cosmetic design patent, D706,896. Yes, the very same patent that my attorney wrote wasn’t even germane to discussions about the Blade. Looking at the pictures below, the two products couldn’t look more dissimilar in my opinion.

More information regarding the lawsuit is available in a blog post on www.ShockwaveTechnologies.com where you can also donate towards the Shockwave Technologies legal defense fund if you feel compelled to do so. You can also view the original lawsuit documents HERE.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SB Tactical should really have used their money towards pro 2A support rather than to sue another company in the industry. They both operate differently, they look very different, I think SB Tactical is going to have a rough time in court if it makes it that far. Hopefully it will get moved to dismiss, this would be like Magpul suing MFT because the both make stocks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lame move for SB to do that. Lawyers will be the only winners in this suit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    SB Tactical should really have used their money towards pro 2A support rather than to sue another company in the industry. They both operate differently, they look very different, I think SB Tactical is going to have a rough time in court if it makes it that far. Hopefully it will get moved to dismiss, this would be like Magpul suing MFT because the both make stocks,
    Well Magpul did sue ETS over a leg on a follower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    True, but they were fairly similar followers in design, and functioned the same. ETS made a small change, and they are back to business as usual. The SB and the Shockwave couldn't be more different other than the fact they attach to a pistol buffer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hummm...Was thinkin about a blade..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Hummm...Was thinkin about a blade..
    They're still selling them. In fact they're releasing two new colors this weekend.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Blade looks a lot better than the Sig Brace and for half the cost. Also has a set screw in the bottom to lock it down; even with a thick pistol buffer made for the Sig Brace, it can still spin/rotate on the tube

Downloads
    Uploads
    These products don't look or function even remotely similar. The sig brace mounts over your wrist on both sides like a saddle whereas the shockwave braces on the inside of your arm. Look the same? please........ Hell, they arent even made of a similar material. This won't even result in a hiccup for shockwave.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is all about protecting their IP. SB probably doesn't even think that the Shockwave is all that similar, but if people like it better and start buying it instead of the Sig Brace, that's bad for business.

Hopefully it gets resolved quickly and painlessly.