Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

My new WarSport / Cross Machine Tool Hybrid SBR Build.

I'm starting a new SBR build. I got extremely lucky and managed to score a WarSport LVOA-S upper from Roger, the owner of Forward Controls Design. It was a fully assembled WarSport LVOA-S upper with the 11.75" barrel. Knowing I had the upper coming I contacted WarSport to see if I could buy a stripped lower as I absolutely HATE mis-matched receivers. Long story short; since I didn't buy the upper FROM WarSport they will not sell me a stripped lower. Kind of crappy in my opinion but WarSport has always been extremely picky on what they will and will not sell as parts. So that kind of set my plans back a little bit.

Here's the LVOA-S upper like I received it (he didn't have the Magpul hand-stop installed or the bungee)

Not being able to get the WarSport lower really threw a bind in the plan. I was planning on being able to get one or at the very least really hoping I could. Well, I had a brand new Cross Machine Tool UHP-15A ambi lower and UHP-1 upper I bought in a set sitting in the box waiting on the Form 1 to come back and still needing engraving. At first I was going to keep the WarSport upper and just use the CMT Gen 2 UHP-15A lower as it actually lined up pretty decently with the WarSport upper - much to my surprise.

Here's the WarSport upper with the CMT Gen 2 UHP-15A lower (stripped).

Seeing that I didn't line up all that bad at all I threw the upper onto my assembled (and form 1'd) CMT Gen 1 UHP-15 lower just to see how it looked. Here's the WarSport upper with the CMT Gen 1 UHP-15 lower that's assembled. It actually didn't look bad at all I was just going to run with this configuration and have it Cerakoted. (some of you may recognize this lower from my previous build threads)

A look at the full assembly with a SureFire Mini Scout, Vortex Viper 1-4 PST in an American Defense Mount.

I actually liked the way the miss-matched receivers looked. I didn't think it was bad at all. Then my desire to have everything perfect and just so started wearing on my mind. I was starting to really hate the fact that the lower and the upper were made by two different companies...which got the wheels turning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since it was really bothering me to have a WarSport upper on a CMT lower and I had this brand new UHP-1 billet upper from the set just sitting there I figured why not swap the barrel / rail / gas system over to the UHP-1 upper? So that's what I did.

Here's the complete WarSport upper next to the Cross Machine Tool UHP-15A lower and UHP-1 upper.

Removing the hand guard was pretty simple. 4 bolts and a little bit of heat from a torch pulled it right off exposing the HUGE 11.75" barrel. I thought my Rainier UltraMatch 10.5" barrel had a large profile. This WarSport makes the Rainier UltraMatch look like a Govt. Profile barrel (I am exaggerating a bit). WarSport also has a very interesting barrel nut. It looks like they've changed it now from looking at WarSports Instagram feed, but since this one is about a year old I had to deal with this thing.

I finally found a tool that would work correctly with it and got the barrel nut off after removing the BattleComp, gas block and gas tube. Getting the dust cover off was rather tricky, as well. They put the C-clip retainer in between the upper and the dust cover. Smart, but difficult to get out. Here's the WarSport upper mostly disassembled.

I viced up the CTM UHP-1 upper and got the barrel installed. It was actually a tighter fit in the CMT than it was in WarSports upper (which I liked). You can also see just how beefy this barrel is.

I got the gas block installed, the BattleComp back on and slapped it all together for an over-all view. I'm quite pleased with the results. I swapped the WarSport BCG out for an extra Lantac E-BCG I had on the bench. I'm actually really pleased with the look of the full CMT billet set and the WarSport rail all together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So here are the next plans in the build.

I need to get the lower engraved with my trust information. That will be done by Keith at NFA Investments. He does an excellent job that looks like a factory engraving. It's not done with a laser. He's actually cutting away metal that meets the ATF guidelines for engraving. Once the lower is engraved I'm going to take the upper / lower / rail to my friends house who has all the equipment and we're going to bead blast everything and then coat it in a Blue Titanium / Tungsten / Black Cerakote to give it a unique color. I like different colors that not everyone has and I already have a green gun.

After that and the Form 1 comes back the lower will be assembled. The full spec list will run like this (and I'll of course post many pics along the way).

Lower Specs

CMT UHP-15A Billet Ambi Lower.
    Geissele SSA-E Trigger.
    Battle Arms Development CASS 45 degree (BAD-CASS).
    Battle Arm Development Enhance Ti DLC take down pins.
    Battle Arms Development Enhanced Magazine Release button (EMR).
    Strike Industries magazine release.
    Forward Controls ABC/R bolt catch.
    VLTOR Mil-Spec receiver extension.
    Magpul CTR stock.
    Magpul MOE+ K2 grip.
    Magpul QD end plate.
    Carbine buffer.
    JP polished carbine spring.

Upper Specs.

CMT UHP-1 billet upper.
    Lantac E-BCG.
    WarSport Raptor charging handle.
    WarSport forward assist.
    WarSport dust cover assembly.
    WarSport 11.75" Match Grade barrel.
    WarSport Top Hat compensator - The BattleComp will be swapped out.
    Syrac adjustable gas block - the WarSport gas block will be swapped out.
    Magpul PRO BUIS.
    Optics will either be the Vortex Viper 1-4 PST in the ADM mount or I'll get an Aimpoint T2

Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks great, but is it the heaviest SBR on the planet? What you gonna do with the War Sport upper?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Disappointing to see the gas block was not pinned on that upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    That looks great, but is it the heaviest SBR on the planet? What you gonna do with the War Sport upper?
    Yeah. It's got some heft to it on the front end for sure. That barrel is pretty stout.

I'm going to weigh my 10.5" Mega MKM upper tonight with the Rainer UltraMatch barrel (with nothing on it) and then weight this WarSport / CMT set up (with nothing on it). I'm betting that even though it's only 1.25" longer, it's easily a pound heavier in the barrel.

I'll likely sell the WarSport upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Disappointing to see the gas block was not pinned on that upper.
    I wasn't too bothered by it. All of the gas blocks I use (Usually Syrac adjustables) aren't pinned in place and I've never had a problem over thousands and thousands of rounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's super nice. First green gun I've seen that I've really liked, kinda has me considering doing something similar now.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad I'm not the only one who would tear apart a perfectly good Warsport upper just to transfer the guts to a CMT so the receivers would match. Looked great either way however. Nice score :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still can't get over how thick that barrel is, that would have gagged Linda Lovelace.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice build not matching us d to bother me to the picture my of being a little OCD

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't blame you one bit. I would have done the same. Nice build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I still can't get over how thick that barrel is, that would have gagged Linda Lovelace.
    Yeah. It's certainly not light. People are getting .3 MOA out of their 14.5" guns and match ammo regularly. These 11.75's are reported to be .5 MOA capable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hopefully when it's said and done I'm still liking this thing. I've been wanting an LVOA for a while just to check them out. I couldn't pass the opportunity Roger gave me and I'm greatful for it. But, I'm going to turn this into something cool no one else has. I try to do that with all my guns.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay. I weighed the two SBR uppers. All optics, BUIS, charging handles and BCGs were removed. The MKM has Knights URX 4 rail covers. The WarSport has one 5" rail with the Magpul hand stop and one 3" rail with the flashlight removed.

Mega MKM upper with mil-spec forward assist and dust cover. The rail is the MKM 9" rail. Barrel is a Rainier Arms UltraMatch 10.5" with a Syrac gas block, gas tube and a Lantac Dragon on the end. It weighed 3lbs 1oz.

CMT UHP-1 upper with mil-spec forward assist and dust cover. Rail is the WarSport 12.75" rail and there 12.75" barrel along with the WarSport gas block and gas tube with a BattleComp 1.5 (I think) on the end. It weighed in at 4lbs 6oz.

So there's well over a pound difference. Almost a pound a half.
    Last edited by AaronP220; 13 May 2015 at 09:44.