Downloads
    Uploads

Precision Armament EFAB

Precision Armament EFAB (Enhanced Flash Arresting Brake)

http://precisionarmament.com/product...-muzzle-brake/

I'll start by saying this, I'm not a muzzle brake guy. I'm a flash suppressor guy. That said, I've been running this brake for a few months now, and I must say I'm impressed. I got it because Precision Armament claimed it to be a brake with A2 levels of flash and their photos made it look so.

However... this is the Internet and we've all heard that claim and seen "photographic evidence" before, and I had a slightly deflated feeling, anticipating being disappointed before I ever even shot it.

Initial impressions upon handling however where that it was VERY cleanly machined and nicely finished with Ionbond. It's heavy though, 3.5oz. to be exact, so it'll add nearly a quarter pound to the end of your rifle.

Before pinning and welding it to my advent 14.5" barrel, I wanted to test its performance so I wouldn't do something I'd later regret. On it's first outing it was mounted on a 16" mid length Noveske rifle for testing. That day we swapped muzzle devices on the Noveske several times to test the felt recoil of the EFAB vs. other devices to include a standard A2, a Rainier XTC, and a Micor flash hider. A 14.5" Spike's was also present with a pinned and welded extended A2. All ammo shot was Federal XM193. In short, the EFAB was more than able to hang. Braking effect was not as significant as with the Rainier XTC, but compensation was good holding the muzzle relatively flat and with flash suppression that exceeded the standard and extended A2's. Feeling more secure, I got it permanently attached to my BCM 14.5" ELW fluted barrel.

Upon being asked for a review, I took the rifle out for a day at the range with the primary focus being specific focus on the EFAB's total performance. The day was overcast and we shot until late twilight, using solely Federal XM193. Initial target was 30 yards, maybe 18x18", and was a box we found because we forgot to bring silhouettes. Aiming points were marked via a large sharpie. Firing at our improvised target, the 2 MOA red dot on my Aimpoint Comp M4 had very slight rise and fall that never deviated from the target regardless of firing speed or shooter position. All reticle movement was consistent shot to shot. Also of note, when we began shooting we were in a 'prop' building, with a metal roof and walls on either side and behind us. At no time, either as shooter or observer, was I cognizant of excess noise or concussion (and remember, I'm a flash suppressor guy).

Satisfied with the EFAB's stabilization and blast reduction capabilities, we moved to the 300 yard bench range to test for accuracy. Conditions were still overcast, and we had approximately a 10 mph wind from roughly 5 o'clock. Targets were 8" dirty birds and were engaged from the bench, using a range bag as support. The Aimpoint reticle had to be turned WAY down to nearly translucent just to see the target, and the lightweight BCM barrel was still quite hot. I put the first 10 rounds down range (albeit slowly) and managed to put all rounds on target in about a 7" group, largely just left of center. My buddy at this point took a turn and fired 10 shots, all of which missed just left of the target, but nonetheless printed about an 8" group. There's no way to tell how much accuracy was due to or degraded by the EFAB, but if you're aiming at a man sized target at 300 yards, the EFAB won't keep you out of the green.

As twilight set upon us we decided it was time to test flash suppression against an A2 style flash hider mounted on a 16" middy Noveske. This is where I was most impressed. The EFAB provided BETTER flash suppression than the A2 styled suppressor on a longer barrel from all angles except when viewed directly from 3 and 9 o'clock. At 3 & 9 suppression was similar, to maybe slightly more visible. However, most targets are not viewing you directly from 3 or 9 o'clock.

So how would I rate it? If you're after a dead nuts brake and your other gun is wearing a ProComp, you'll probably be disappointed. If you've been sifting through hybrids looking for something other a brake with tines on the end, the EFAB shouldn't leave you wanting. If you want LESS flash than the EFAB produces, you're better off looking for pure purpose driven flash suppressor.

It's pretty unique how the EFAB achieves it's performance. Inside is a series of tightly spaced baffles. Between the baffles are holes/ports to vent the gasses. Each vent opens into an escape nozzle that's drilled from three different angles into the ports. These nozzles are what gives the EFAB its unique look, and they serve as a place to diffuse and cool the gasses while technically still remaining within the comp. Pretty intricate, and a bit of a machining nightmare I'd imagine.

No real concerns, it IS heavy, and you have to use Precision Armament accu-washers to install it which adds another 20$ to the cost which is kind of a pain. I might be a little concerned about possibly over-torquing the device against the solid metal washer, but mine was installed/pinned/welded by ADCO so I don't know the torque value on it. Can't say it's appeared to make a difference either way.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    The EFAB is pretty amazing and IMO is the only device that rivals the KAC MAMS. It's like an A2 that actually works.
    Last edited by VIPER 237; 17 May 2015 at 21:28.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice review Aragorn. I've got an AFAB mini on a 14.5" mid-length, and it's been a little better than the BC 1.5 I used to have. Precision Armaments machining is also very nice. Thanks for the review.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa