Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Placed my order today...

Despite all the recent chaos going on around here lately I FINALLY got a notification that the Recce 5 was back in stock at Silencer Shop...

For anyone who is wondering...

The suppressors MUST be fully manufactured before they can submit a transfer request even from the manufacturer to the dealer. In this case it took just about 7 weeks total to restock the item and per my sources it took the ATF about 6 weeks to approve all the paperwork for a manufacturer to dealer transfer. From all indications it's a normal form 3.

The reason I mention this is because I have been told various 'stories' that turned out to be just that... stories.

But regardless of the 6 week setback I came in and the first thing I did was add the suppressor to my cart, add the tax stamp to my cart, and paid for everything. I have already uploaded my Trust docs.

Now I guess all that's left is for Silencer Shop to do their magic and get my Form 4 filled out and sent off. Well that and all the waiting

I made the leap. I guess I will soon be part of the club.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I put my order in on Saturday for a Sparrow. So I guess it's a race. The guys at Silencer Shop seem to be on top of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    I put my order in on Saturday for a Sparrow. So I guess it's a race. The guys at Silencer Shop seem to be on top of it.
    Are you in Texas too?

I haven't heard a single bad thing about Silencer Shop and I have had the chance to informally chat with at least one of their employees several times already. Very nice guy. They seem to be doing a lot of good in the NFA world as well as offer great deals and service. Long story short they won my business.

This is my first ever foray into NFA turf so I wanted to trust a reputable company to get it done.

I have a feeling though that I am opening a can of worms here :) LOL

In the end I spent the money but I think it will be a very useful tool.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Are you in Texas too?

I haven't heard a single bad thing about Silencer Shop and I have had the chance to informally chat with at least one of their employees several times already. Very nice guy. They seem to be doing a lot of good in the NFA world as well as offer great deals and service. Long story short they won my business.

This is my first ever foray into NFA turf so I wanted to trust a reputable company to get it done.

I have a feeling though that I am opening a can of worms here :) LOL

In the end I spent the money but I think it will be a very useful tool.
    Nope, a bit further north, and a whole lot bigger. They charge only $65 more for out of state, and have a local FFL that deals with their direct sales. So I think it's quite the deal for $65. Most places up here charge $100 or so to do a class 3 transfer. I was going to make the Saker 762 my first can, but the price shot up, so I'll wait on that one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    Nope, a bit further north, and a whole lot bigger. They charge only $65 more for out of state, and have a local FFL that deals with their direct sales. So I think it's quite the deal for $65. Most places up here charge $100 or so to do a class 3 transfer. I was going to make the Saker 762 my first can, but the price shot up, so I'll wait on that one.
    This is my first so it's a momentous occasion! LOL Honestly I wanted a can for a long time, but I never really went into it mainly because I didn't know enough and all the paperwork and all that jive sort of intimidated me out of it. BUT--- then along comes WEVO--- :)

I meet some very great folks here and then not only tame my fears about the paperwork, but they also taunted me with sexy photos until I spent the money! LOL J/K!!!

But seriously here I learned more about it than I have ANYWHERE. In other places I was getting all sorts of information... but here... I trust a lot more. My fears of the process got tamed and I also learned a bit about the suppressors themselves.

I made a 5.56 can my first because it meets my needs. I don't foresee myself going into another (rifle) caliber for a while, but it depends. In any case if this all goes smoothly I will probably end up with even more of these things.

I don't have much experience with suppressors so I kind of had to weed through the BS of it and pick out who was being straight with me... so thank goodness for WEVO!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo you sure took your sweet time.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Alamo you sure took your sweet time.
    It wasn't my fault!!! They ran out of them! LOL

But in all seriousness no matter how much I love shooting I am trying to keep my finances balanced. I could go blow my life savings in a month or two if I wasn't careful...so I measure twice and cut once LOL

If this one goes smoothly and once I get a feel for it and how all this stuff works the others might not be so bad...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everyone needs a trio. 22, 308 and 45. Covers just about all the bases within reason

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats ! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Once you have the first one in hand, you will need a new Texas Vanity License Place ----------- NVRENUF
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice! The RECCE 5's are good cans...I'm waiting on a deposit to hit my bank and I'm placing my order for one as well (with a different dealer). I was surprised that in a recent video I saw, that the RECCE 5 outperformed the Griffin Armament OTB/Reflex style suppressor (decibel wise). Tone and backpressure are probably different with the OTB, but with the amount of internal volume in the OTB that it would be more quiet. I guess that goes to show that there is a point of diminishing returns with suppressors as far as volume and size goes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I probably should say thank you to Former11B. He and several others really took some time with me to kind of lay it out there. It didn't entirely replace my own research but it sure did help. All you guys are great about sharing the know how. It really smoothed over a lot of rough edges for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of suppressors though here is one test that I would like to see run just out of curiosity. I call it the 100 yard test. In addition to all the other decibel readings put three or four sensors out 100 yards away. One in front, back, and both sides and measure decibels both unsuppressed and suppressed just to get an idea. I would like to see that in addition to all these at the ear tests etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 100 yards directly out from the shooter (roughly path of bullet..,not directly lol ), you'd hear the snap of the bullet but it would be, provided you didn't know the shooter was on a bench shooting at you, hard to tell where the shot came from.

This video may interest you:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnU8o53z-WE

It's long but the guy shoots 3-4 calibers and shows noise level at shooter and at the target.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will watch when I get home. I'm curious as to how sound travels laterally. So if I get out in the back yard shooting and my neighbors are X far...how will it sound and how do different suppressors perform.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The range I shoot at regularly is set up that it's not uncommon for you to be either at the impact point of the 100 yard berm or to be several hundred yards laterally from the 100 yard berm (but also somewhat downrange). Like 11B mentioned, you mostly hear the snap of the bullet when "at the berm" with a minor report from the bench. I know where the report is coming from because I'm familiar with the range, but if I wasn't, it would be harder to pinpoint.

When farther "down and laterally" range, I find the report of the bullet/shooter is easier, but it's because they're, relatively speaking, coming from the same basic area (just due to the angle). Instead of a SNAP....Pop. It's more of a snap..pop. That said, I have been "down/laterally" range and someone sent a round over the berm (not a ricochet). He was shooting unsuppressed, though, and the report and snap were two distinctive positions in space.

When I was but a green nugget going through a pre-deployment training class, they showed a video that I always wished I could have got my hands on, but it was on the SECRET side and I don't know if there was ever a way to get it to a useful medium (despite it not being remotely Secret). In it, they set up a camera with a mic at a target at night, and put a NOD on the camera. Then a helo came in and lit up the target with a GAU-16 with a PEQ mounted on it. You could see where they were aiming because of the PEQ and you could hear the round coming into the target. Talk about an effective way to keep someone's head down. Yikes!