Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oops, meant to add...While it wasn't my first sale with Silencer Shop, yesterday, I, too, put in an order, but did it on the phone just due to some questions I had. Good people, and I'd say at least 50% of the time of my transaction was just shooting the breeze with my salesman who was prior aviation LE/HEMS and we were sharing some sea-stories. Definitely makes me want to swing by and see the place if I'm ever in Austin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is another question for you... as I am reloading whenever time permits... Do you have to tailor your load at all when shooting suppressed to maintain extreme accuracy? Assume I am using an adjustable gas block... (which I will get in the next month or so)...

I have my loads now at 24.3 grains but I am wondering if I am going to need to re-calibrate them later on for a somewhat different shooting system (IE add suppressor) that might or might not alter the harmonics. I understand it might have a POI shift but I mean altering the actual load itself?

If the answer is yes I won't load up 2000 rounds as planned. I will just do them in batches of a few hundred at a time. If it doesn't really matter I will continue on with my 2000 round goal.

I have a lot of questions still but all I know is my suppressor is on the way :) I am excited...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Congrats ! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Once you have the first one in hand, you will need a new Texas Vanity License Place ----------- NVRENUF
    Thank you! I fear you are correct :) I am already making plans...

Now my tag line that Uwone gave me can become official. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Nice! The RECCE 5's are good cans...I'm waiting on a deposit to hit my bank and I'm placing my order for one as well (with a different dealer). I was surprised that in a recent video I saw, that the RECCE 5 outperformed the Griffin Armament OTB/Reflex style suppressor (decibel wise). Tone and backpressure are probably different with the OTB, but with the amount of internal volume in the OTB that it would be more quiet. I guess that goes to show that there is a point of diminishing returns with suppressors as far as volume and size goes.
    I think I made a great choice myself :) I don't have it yet, and I've never shot one (of these), but based on reports all over including silencer shop and others... I think I done did good. I am confident in my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    The range I shoot at regularly is set up that it's not uncommon for you to be either at the impact point of the 100 yard berm or to be several hundred yards laterally from the 100 yard berm (but also somewhat downrange). Like 11B mentioned, you mostly hear the snap of the bullet when "at the berm" ...When farther "down and laterally" range, I find the report of the bullet/shooter is easier, but it's because they're, relatively speaking, coming from the same basic area (just due to the angle). Instead of a SNAP....Pop. It's more of a snap..pop. That said, I have been "down/laterally" range and someone sent a round over the berm (not a ricochet). He was shooting unsuppressed, though, and the report and snap were two distinctive positions in space.

When I was but a green nugget going through a pre-deployment training class, they showed a video that I always wished I could have got my hands on, but it was on the SECRET side and I don't know if there was ever a way to get it to a useful medium (despite it not being remotely Secret). In it, they set up a camera with a mic at a target at night, and put a NOD on the camera. Then a helo came in and lit up the target with a GAU-16 with a PEQ mounted on it. You could see where they were aiming because of the PEQ and you could hear the round coming into the target. Talk about an effective way to keep someone's head down. Yikes!
    I love watching military videos and stuff like that... I am just kind of curious about 'down range' just because. If you're a pig by the time you hear the snap it's all done for. LOL What tends to happen is after the first shot though the rest can scatter in all directions but they will regroup a few minutes later. If pig hunting I've heard you can get more than one shot off and as long as they don't see you you're good.

As for the lateral sound... that to me would answer a lot of in general questions. No one has ever complained about me shooting but then again I try to keep my shooting times to when it will be the least intrusive. I am hoping this will allow me to shoot more and at varied times even. Everyone out here shoots but I am still wanting to be polite.

For a first time suppressor buyer I think something like the 100 yard test I mentioned above would answer a whole lot of questions as to 'why' suppress a rifle, and it's not to be a ninja LOL Suppressors really do have a place in the world. I am 3/4 of the way inclined to write my Congressman and Senators and start a campaign about how the NFA laws are stupid and unnecessary... whether it will help or not, I don't know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't load a ton of ammo yet. Odds are the only thing that will change is your POI but just to be on the safe side, load small batches until you confirm accuracy with the can. Would beat the heck out of pulling and possibly damaging $600 worth of bullets and countless hours of time.

I personally don't have dual loads for suppressed/unsuppressed but I definitely make note of POI shift. It's never drastic (1/2" down and right at 100yds e.g.) but that does make a difference further out

And as far as helping you pick the can or offering advice....anytime my friend, any time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Read some more information from one of the owners of Griffin Armament about the update/improvement to the Recce line:

"The Mod 2 is a great can. The new revision just features some useful attributes that we are bringing to the line. The suppressors have a chassis- a bullet machined single piece of 17-4SS- this makes them incredibly strong- stronger than anything ever put on the market. This is like having a heat treated 718 inconel tube on the suppressor- because 17-4 is 3 times as strong as 316, and twice as strong as 718 in the cold reduced sheet. These are attributes unavailable in tube materials. There is no 17-4 seamless tube on the market, there is no seamless 718 inconel tube I'm aware of. Tube relies on the material to be soft, moderately weak, and form-able so it is a compromised concept from the beginning. The older unit was also made from billet 17-4SS but was welded into monolithic structure like the SIG suppressor's assembly of their cast baffles. The use of the "chassis" as we're calling it, reduces the integrity focused mechanical reliance on welds. Welds and castings cause undesirable loss of grain structure control. Welds are never realistically as strong as billet material which is 100% contiguously joined with controlled material grain structure aligned in the appropriate direction. Reducing that critical weld reliance especially in hot and high pressure areas is in my opinion theoretically superior. The flash suppressor integrated into the front cap is a signature reduction feature. Sound performance will be similar to the Mod 2. We've built cans a lot of different ways and I prefer this method.

On the negative side it requires about 50% more bar stock to make a suppressor this way- more time, and more machining. A 9" RSTA requires about 15.5" of bar stock (not counting the included 4.2" muzzle device) with 85% material removal for manufacturing.

We've done some really punishing things to pre-production units with no visible wear. That's important. A lot of companies brag on mechanically staying together while systems are eroded and cored out internally or damaged in ways deleting sound performance that no owner would be happy about. What really impressed us was the ability to do things that should typically cause irreparable wear or harm and pull through without expected visible damage."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Read some more information from one of the owners of Griffin Armament about the update/improvement to the Recce line:

"The Mod 2 is a great can. The new revision just features some useful attributes that we are bringing to the line. The suppressors have a chassis- a bullet machined single piece of 17-4SS- this makes them incredibly strong- stronger than anything ever put on the market. This is like having a heat treated 718 inconel tube on the suppressor- because 17-4 is 3 times as strong as 316, and twice as strong as 718 in the cold reduced sheet. These are attributes unavailable in tube materials. There is no 17-4 seamless tube on the market, there is no seamless 718 inconel tube I'm aware of. Tube relies on the material to be soft, moderately weak, and form-able so it is a compromised concept from the beginning. The older unit was also made from billet 17-4SS but was welded into monolithic structure like the SIG suppressor's assembly of their cast baffles. The use of the "chassis" as we're calling it, reduces the integrity focused mechanical reliance on welds. Welds and castings cause undesirable loss of grain structure control. Welds are never realistically as strong as billet material which is 100% contiguously joined with controlled material grain structure aligned in the appropriate direction. Reducing that critical weld reliance especially in hot and high pressure areas is in my opinion theoretically superior. The flash suppressor integrated into the front cap is a signature reduction feature. Sound performance will be similar to the Mod 2. We've built cans a lot of different ways and I prefer this method.

On the negative side it requires about 50% more bar stock to make a suppressor this way- more time, and more machining. A 9" RSTA requires about 15.5" of bar stock (not counting the included 4.2" muzzle device) with 85% material removal for manufacturing.

We've done some really punishing things to pre-production units with no visible wear. That's important. A lot of companies brag on mechanically staying together while systems are eroded and cored out internally or damaged in ways deleting sound performance that no owner would be happy about. What really impressed us was the ability to do things that should typically cause irreparable wear or harm and pull through without expected visible damage."

That sounds really awesome! I am more excited than ever now.

Where did you run across that?