Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Thanks Buddy! I drove to you last time...your turn this time...or we get up with mburgin... i dont go to 68 but i bet he'd be game!
    Now that's a guy with some cool toys!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    Now that's a guy with some cool toys!
    Indeed he was!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well get a barrel now and build/swap whenever lol. You already have the powder for it and that's the hardest part. Bullets and the rest are easy.... I got rid of my 6.8 in favor of the WLV. It does everything I need as far as hunting and all parts are interchangeable, ie bolt and mags. Just made sense... I highly suggest you keep an eye on MDWS even if you don't plan on one soon. The price may be too good to pass up lol
    ha...you never know. Guess I could unload something like the scope I sold to buy the whiskey for my nephew! If I swap all over to the 277 there are a ton of 300blk guys up here I could pawn stuff off to. Maybe I should advertise some 300blk cases locally...

Either way, pretty cool video. Would love to see actual sound levels, but hard to do without pro equipment. I tried with a sound meter app, and it sucked. LOL
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    ha...you never know. Guess I could unload something like the scope I sold to buy the whiskey for my nephew! If I swap all over to the 277 there are a ton of 300blk guys up here I could pawn stuff off to. Maybe I should advertise some 300blk cases locally...

Either way, pretty cool video. Would love to see actual sound levels, but hard to do without pro equipment. I tried with a sound meter app, and it sucked. LOL
    I like being the instigator for a change lol... Yea I thought about using the one on my iPhone but decided not too...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like being the instigator for a change lol... Yea I thought about using the one on my iPhone but decided not too...
    something about the mic level being capped at 100dBa or something. Plus the sampling time is far too slow to catch the bang corectly. I gave up after an afternoon of trying. And I tried 4 different apps... they all claimed 'pro lever results' or some shit. yea, right.
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would you mind posting the load data for both? I'd like to know the powder charge difference, since in all fairness I haven't worked with the Wolverine. But, I do have some points that should be considered...

If you're running a heavier bullet which necessitates a greater powder charge, then there will almost always be an increased report. If you run a lighter bullet with less powder, it will result in a lessened report. A 40-70gr bullet weight difference is a big deal when you're talking about sustained velocity and energy in a subsonic comparison, since both rounds are coming out at relatively the same speed, unlike super sonic rounds where the lighter bullet has greater FPS and better BC which give it a ballistic advantage against wind and distance. In a nutshell what I'm trying to say is if you run a .300 in the same bullet weight as the .277, at the same speed, you'll end up with relatively the same level of suppression. The nod in that instance would go to the .277 for being able to buck the wind better, BUT... that's not really an issue IMO with most subsonics, as the distances they're typically employed at are inconsequential to wind factoring. The whole point of cartridges such as these, is the ability to run the heaviest round possible for terminal ballistics, sustained FPS over the greatest distance possible without the sonic crack, and still maintaining the ability to cycle a semi-auto. If achieving the quietest round was the only goal, then the 22LR will always win, because it has one of the smallest powder charges to bullet weight. Just some food for thought. I'm not saying the .277 is a bad cartridge, but all factors need to be considered including the negatives to attenuation which will affect intended performance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WLV pistol barrels are 85 bucks right now !!!!!!!

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads

277Wlv Vs 300Blk Subsonic

@Ordnance I plan to try and get some 200gr 277 bullets here in the near future and compare the two. I'll also make some loads with Jim's load and I'll also work a load using the same powder.

The 277WLV is using a 150gr Hot-Cor over 10.2gr of 1680 @2.285.

The 300blk is using a 190gr Nosler over 8.5gr of lil-gun @2.280. I don't know what Remington uses with their loads of course using the 220gr subsonic factory ammo. Odd loads were mine and even were factory.

I'm no scientist and this wasn't a scientific test. Just what I had found while working up loads for the wolverine. There are so many variables that one could argue gives one an advantage over the other. I completely understand that. I do agree with you for the most part. When I load subsonic loads though I simply want whatever is quietest. I'm not hunting with a subsonic load nor do I care too. I have better bullets in the supersonic range for that and that's for both platforms. As with most things in the firearm world. It all boils down to what is your main purpose and application. One of the times YMMV comes into play.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton68spc View Post
    WLV pistol barrels are 85 bucks right now !!!!!!!

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook
    If he had the 8.2" with the 1:7 twist I would grab one just for future fun...

And Medic, I'll be looking forward to the comparison between like or similar weight projectiles/powder. I believe (in my own head LOL) that the re7 is quieter than the a1680 - and cleaner, too.
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    And Medic, I'll be looking forward to the comparison between like or similar weight projectiles/powder. I believe (in my own head LOL) that the re7 is quieter than the a1680 - and cleaner, too.
    That's all subs are though. What you the shooter perceives as quiet. And I like my 1680!

Downloads
    Uploads
    After reading some threads on .277... I guess my question is, what is .277 doing that .300 isn't already doing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That ricochet was loud

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    After reading some threads on .277... I guess my question is, what is .277 doing that .300 isn't already doing?
    To me it's a better range of bullets 85-120 for supers and 150-200 for subs. The wolverine runs 2800fps with an 85 grain TSX, 2700 grain with a 90TNT, 2600 with a 95TTSX, subs just as quiet and almost just as heavy.

Also most bullets in 277 have a better ballistic coefficient and Sectional Density. For example the 110gr Hornady VMAX, .277 has a BC of .370 vs .308 having .290. The SD is .205 vs .166 respectively. As you know the higher the number the better performance down range. You can also usually get at least a couple hundred fps more using the same bullet with the .277 vs 300.

I have both and can't speak bad on either. I feel that the WLV wins the supersonic arena all day long from varmint to deer/hogs, and, runs subs just as well as the BLK.

Check out the WLV forum for more hard data and presentations of the comparison of the two. Your question has always been one of the first ones asked. So you ready for your own WLV barrel yet? Lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    To me it's a better range of bullets 85-120 for supers and 150-200 for subs. The wolverine runs 2800fps with an 85 grain TSX, 2700 grain with a 90TNT, 2600 with a 95TTSX, subs just as quiet and almost just as heavy.

Also most bullets in 277 have a better ballistic coefficient and Sectional Density. For example the 110gr Hornady VMAX, .277 has a BC of .370 vs .308 having .290. The SD is .205 vs .166 respectively. As you know the higher the number the better performance down range. You can also usually get at least a couple hundred fps more using the same bullet with the .277 vs 300.

I have both and can't speak bad on either. I feel that the WLV wins the supersonic arena all day long from varmint to deer/hogs, and, runs subs just as well as the BLK.

Check out the WLV forum for more hard data and presentations of the comparison of the two. Your question has always been one of the first ones asked. So you ready for your own WLV barrel yet? Lol...
    I don't hunt, so I doubt that I'll ever get into .277.

I will fully admit that I try to stick to calibers that I can shoot for free at the PD range. 300 BLK was the only round I've really paid for in bulk. To me, shooting paper or dirt, 300 shines with short barrels and suppressors. It appears that .277 provides that same benefit. However, as I mentioned, since I don't shoot animals, I'm likely never going to see any benefit with .277. I don't know what kind of microphone you're using to video your shooting, but to the shooters ear, both rounds probably sound oh so similar.

Commercially, it's hard to see .277 getting any traction, so you're left with reloading, which I also haven't gotten into (yet) You guys that love to work up your own loads, I'm sure will squeeze every ounce of performance out of these cartridges, but for me, I'm not the kind of guy they are marketing to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish you were closer I'd love to let you put the two side by side. It is a noteable difference to me. It was enough I felt like making the video lol. I wasn't using any mic attachment, just the mic on the camera (SL1) itself.

I really think it will but with everything it takes time. This cartridge isn't much more than a year old and look where it's at already.

Since your not a hunter I can truly understand you side of it completely. But as you know there are a lot of people that are lol.