• Hodge Defense AU-Mod 2

4 25.00%
  • Knights Armament SR-15 E3 Mod 2

12 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hodge Defense AU-Mod 2 vs Knights Armament SR-15 E3 Mod 2

With both the Hodge Defense AU-Mod 2 and Knights Armament SR-15 E3 Mod 2 M-Lok on the horizon which do you prefer? The MSRP on both is speculation, the Hodge at $2699.99 and the KAC at $2399.99. The current street price of a KAC SR-15 E3 Mod 2 Keymod is closer to $2150. Which rifle would you chose?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Hodge is very nice but it doesn't really offer anything unique besides the Al-Li materials. The SR15 Mod2 on the other hand IMO is the cutting edge of the platform right now and I don't know if there is a better out of the box AR style rifle on the market.
    Last edited by VIPER 237; 23 May 2015 at 22:26.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    The SR-15 E3 Mod 2 M-Lok is pretty much at the top of my buy list along with the BCM BFH ELW.

I'd love a Hodge Defense AU-Mod 2, but the KAC durability, reliability, and gas system makes the choice for me hands down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the Hodge was 1k cheaper it would be priced right IMO. Knights hands down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also gotta agree. KAC.

The KAC features and innovations put it above ANY other off the shelf option IMHO.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I couldn't pick, but I voted for Hodge because Jim really knows his stuff and I'm enough of a nerd that the AlLi makes me totally geek out. I really want to try Knight's new gas system, but I'm going to be too poor to do more than drool over either for quite a while. Hopefully someone runs them head-to-head before too long and writes a really, really detailed review.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could build a better rifle comparably to the Hodge for $2700. The KAC is a fine rifle but having a proprietary bolt, a chrome lined barrel(which was fine 30 years ago) disqualifies it from me ever owning one. Neither of these will touch my ICA5 IMO.
    Last edited by Stone; 24 May 2015 at 23:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I could build a better rifle comparably to the Hodge for $2700. The KAC is a fine rifle but having a proprietary bolt, a chrome lined barrel(which was fine 30 years ago) disqualifies it from me ever owning one. Neither of these will touch my ICA5 IMO.
    Wait you'll discount the Kac because of a proprietary bolt which a standard bolt can be used in a pinch, but you'll tout the lwrci which is full or proprietary parts? Having had both the lwrci IC and a few SR15's I'll take the KAC every time.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    LWRC also treats all of the piston components with NiCorr to smooth operation and maximize component life. The tip of the operating rod does not peen even after thousands and thousands of hits to the bolt carrier's anvil. The NiCorr on these components is effective enough that LWRC's standard practice is to retire the piston components once every four barrel changes. That is about 80,000 rounds, and LWRC retires the piston components for good measure only. Numerous other steel parts in the LWRC uppers and complete weapons are also treated with NiCorr for maximum smoothness and longevity.

Besides the spring and cup which are consumable parts and very cheap to maintain, at 80,000+ rounds of longevity for those proprietary parts, yeah I will take my ICA5 over the KAC. One piece BC and arguably the best barrel in the AR industry. Easy decision. From what I understand a standard bolt will not mate to the lugs on the KAC barrel. Bolt, firing pin, cam pin, extractor, extractor springs ,bbl. extension, gas tube are all specific(proprietary) to the E3 carbine. If this is true as I understand it then they both have about an 80% parts commonality.
    Last edited by Stone; 25 May 2015 at 02:16.

Downloads
    Uploads
    LWRC are local to me and there is not a more hated weapon manufacturer in this area. I'm talking customers and dealers. Total a-holes who do everything possible to avoid fixing the garbage they sell. Barely even find a dealer who sells them anymore around here.

Not even close to the same league as Knights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's the first I have heard that. Customer service is second to none with thousands of owners to back up my statement. The few issues I had over the years were fixed immediately with nothing but 100% professionalism. Gotta call Bullshit on that one. Lets see some hard facts to back up that statement. They sold over 50,00 rifles last year, how many did KAC sell?
    Last edited by Stone; 25 May 2015 at 03:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's the first I have heard that. Customer service is second to none with thousands of owners to back up my statement. The few issues I had over the years were fixed immediately with nothing but 100% professionalism. Gotta call Bullshit on that one. Lets see some hard facts to back up that statement. They sold over 50,00 rifles last year, how many did KAC sell?
    50k?? That's 137 per day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my opinion, the biggest pro for the KAC is the E3 system. KAC rifles have some of the best torture test on the market, a lot are documented with video.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure what sales numbers have to do with quality of the product. If KAC didn't sell 50k rifles last year does that mean they're aren't as good?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, not at all. Like I said above KAC makes a great rifle. But sales numbers do correspond to demand. My question was solely based on curiosity's sake. He said they weren't being sold around him and their product was garbage but high demand would suggest otherwise. In the mind of a potential buyer every rifle has its pros and cons.
    Last edited by Stone; 25 May 2015 at 08:12.