Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Griffin can mounts

What are users opinions of the Griffin taper mount? Does it require frequent tightening? I'm sold on the Reece 7 for my 300BLK, but would consider the 30-SD w/QD if the taper is problematic.

Also, I like the idea of the muzzle brake additional baffle to reduce can wear. Why would someone prefer the flash hider? Does not the tube already suppress flash?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The flash hider and brake are for when you use the rifle without the can. No experience with the Griffin QD mounts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On my short barreled uppers that I use 90% suppressed, I usually put brakes on them. So much more hot gasses and powder are eroding that first baffle on shorter barrels. With that said though, you need to put an insane amount of rounds down range to erode a brake or an all inconel first baffle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Start watching about 5 minutes in and you can see a detailed view of how it works.

The mount is one of the reasons why I bought a griffin suppressor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since my 9" AAC is the only shorty I will run mostly suppressed I can live with the blast. With 5.56 of 10.5 and 11.5 I'll try both.

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the video. The mount looks good to me. More than just a simple screw-on.
    Last edited by Uffdaphil; 26 May 2015 at 08:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    The flash hider and brake are for when you use the rifle without the can.
    ^^^ What he said.

Some people prefer (non suppressed) shooting with flash hiders and other people prefer muzzle brakes. With Griffin you can pick whatever you like and then add a suppressor at will. Also all of the mounts are interchangeable particularly with the Recce 7. The Recce 7 can be put on an AK, a .308, a 5.56 on down... all the mounts and mating surfaces are standard size.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    No experience with the Griffin QD mounts.
    They also have several different kinds of mounts. Some fit on a standard bird cage... but I like the taper mount better.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 26 May 2015 at 08:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The taper mount design is one of the best at return to zero of any style mount on the market. And if tightened properly you will not have an issue of needing to re-tighten. I have a few thousand rounds through my Recce 7 and have never had an issue of having it come loose while shooting.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Edit: Thanks for the video. The mount looks good to me. More than just a simple screw-on.
    Yes, exactly. And you're welcome.

I see those AAC mounts and they have very large threads on them. The Griffin ones seem like they they have a tighter thread and a lot more of them. Now combine that with that rearward taper that the suppressor seats in and it seems to me to be very rock solid. It seems like a two point securing of the suppressor not just one.

If it gets dirty inside the mount surface just use a round brass pipe cleaner brush and she's good as new. (Tip give to me from the guy's at Griffin)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like the mounts are as much a reason to choose a can than anything else. I just went with SilencerCo Sakers for new 5.56 and 7.62 cans. I really like their mounts and the brakes work well when shooting with out the supressor. $90 a piece is hard to argue also for a muzzle device when others are getting $150+.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is an old thread from another forum that has some pretty good pics on it... this is using the old baffle design but the mount and all that still haven't changed.

Take a look.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/c...7-testing.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a taper mount suppressor (not Griffin) but I always put a light finger-dabbed coating of FrogLube on it because after shooting a few mags and letting it rest/cool, it can lock up to the point you will be unscrewing the mount inside the can. I have no worries about it coming loose during firing UNLESS it wasn't tightened to begin with. And with the taper mount, I wouldn't (and don't) tighten it as hard as I do a thread-on can because it WILL lock up during firing. I had to dump two mags to loosen it once. It's a good design because it returns the can to zero, prevents it from backing off, and acts like a gas seal to prevent rear-escape of gas

As far as thread-on cans go, I run one religiously on a 16" carbine and have seen it used on 10.5-12.5" rifles with zero loosening issues. I put two revolutions of teflon tape on the threads and then hand tighten the can with the magwell between my knees and it is good to go. And that is getting the can burning, cigarette lighting hot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all for the helpful info. My Aero anti-seize barrel nut grease ought to work against freezing up.

I just got back from getting my trust set up (Uffda Trust) and sending off a lower to be engraved. Gotta wait until July 1 for the new law to be in force. Good thing I got to the shop at opening. Place was packed with trust buyers when I left. CarbonScoring was there and drafted to help me with the online application. Thanks bud.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My mount is waiting on a can. I think they rock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Thanks bud.
    Anytime.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by six8 View Post
    My mount is waiting on a can. I think they rock.
    Awesome shot! What length of rail is that on what length of barrel?