Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm curious, for those pursuing the lightweight and ultralight guns, do you have a purpose in mind that would benefit from reduced weight or is this just a thing to do just because?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm curious, for those pursuing the lightweight and ultralight guns, do you have a purpose in mind that would benefit from reduced weight or is this just a thing to do just because?
    I assume you carry around a 20inch, m16 clone.

Since everything else is a just because type of build.

Right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to keep my gear as light as possible while still retaining good functionality. I doubt I'll ever have a need to drag my rifle around with me but if I do, I'd rather have something lightweight. In that situation I would have no resupply, there would be no sustained firefights requiring a heavy barrel, etc. I do the same with my camping gear, my motorcycle gear, my clothing, etc.

Also I just think it's neat. I don't mind paying more for something if it makes me happy. Any time someone shoots with me they pick up my lightweight rifle and go "damn! this is nice!".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I assume you carry around a 20inch, m16 clone.

Since everything else is a just because type of build.

Right?
    So, just because, then?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, just because, then?
    Because 'murica

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because I can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is this gonna be a piece for plinking or some thing else?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a test in Gunstruction around 6 months ago to see what the lightest rifle I could design was. Granted, some of the part weights aren't entirely accurate but I was able to design a rifle that came out at under 6 lbs.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm with you... I don't see an actual purpose for an ultralight build. They are just because builds.

My go to guns are purpose driven, and weight is barely an after thought.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my personal opinion light is fine. I have a lot of friends with sub 6 lb assemblies. Their rifles feel great but don't handle nearly as well as what I'm used to. I can tell a little diffence between a light weight rifle and a ultra light weight when not shooting, but I can tell a bigger difference in the way the slightly heavier rifle handles. Using Light weight components behind the barrel nut is hard for me to feel a whole lot of advantage.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know my ipotato photo is horrible. I built this in 2010. Chopped Cav lower, 9mm upper, Clark carbon fiber handguard, 11.5" barrel profiled by ADCO, Precision Machine & Tool titanium carrier, etc.